IGNORED

xbox emulation

Shannon

Speaking of this.........

Have you ever set up Samba for the Xbox? Outta all the crap I have done, I never messed with it and am interested on how to do it. It appears it's going to be simple to do. Can you help me out or anyone help out for that matter?

I never could get it going either.I thought it had to do with the Lion King.Do you have the latest XBMC?Also I want to know,on newer emus like Neogenesis and Atari 7800 emu,how the heck do I configure the screen ratio to be correct without seeing tearing on the screen?Its as if the screen is just stretched without keeping the proper ratio.Scrolling looks terrible.I dont like that :(

@Shannon,yeah Xport emus are the bomb!crap is funn for the Xbox.If you want fighting games on there,I recommend getting the Magic Box converter.You can hook Dreamcats,PS2 and Saturn controls up to XBox.Nothing like a fighter with the good ol Saturn 6 button pad :thumbsup:

Edited by Breakpack

Magic Box converter eh.. if I would allow me to hook up a snes controller (which I prefer for fighting games) that would be the shiznit. I have to look into that regardless if for just the Saturn controller. Where did you snag one?

www.the-console-corner.com

which looks life they switched over to http://www.true-savings.com/shop/

Thats where I got the magic box.I dont know how good they are now since they switched to true savings.Is it the same company anyone?

Edited by Breakpack

On my Xbox I've got emus for the Genesis, Sega CD, PSX, SNES, MAME and N64. The unfortunate thing is that I haven't been able to update any of them since I got the box 2.5 years ago. It's a modded Korean (tranparent green Halo) Xbox that I got modded while I was over in Korea. I was able to copy roms from the DVD drive to the HDD but I don't remember what brand CD-R I used that worked. Everything I tried since has failed. (Don't even talk to be about the FTP function. I can't get that to work either.) So, yeah, it's awesome, just be sure you have a way to add files to your xbox hard drive.

Don't use CD-R. Use DVD-R if you can. DVD-R/W will work, but drives seem to be picky about it.

The new xbox emu's from what I hear have original ratio's built in. If you press the "start" button while changing screen size it will "lock" the aspect ratio. Fixing tearing usually requires locking the horizontal synch.

I've gotten samba working before and it was fairly easy. The atarixlbox wiki says the following in regards to using samba.

There are two INI file settings relating to Samba/NetBIOS sharing and they both

reside in the {GENERAL} section of AtariXLBox.INI:

smbshare=smb://username:password@workgroup:ip_address/computername/sharename

smb_nameserver=192.168.0.1

The smbshare parameter accepts many different formats. Here are the most

common:

smbshare=smb://username:password@workgroup/computername/sharename

smbshare=smb://username:password@workgroup:ip_address/computername/sharename

smbshare=smb://username:password@computername/sharename

smbshare=smb://username:password@computername:ip_address/sharename

smbshare=smb://workgroup/computername/sharename

smbshare=smb://workgroup:ip_address/computername/sharename

smbshare=smb://computername/sharename

smbshare=smb://computername:ip_address/sharename

Please try all of the above combinations before deciding it does not work.

Also be aware that some people have to select their SMB drive in AtariXLBox a few

times before any files appear.

If it's still not working, then set the nameserver equal to the IP address of

the computer you are trying to reach or set it equal to your NetBIOS name server.

(If you don't know what a NetBIOS name server is, then just set it to the

IP address of the computer you are trying to reach.)

Also remember that when you make changes to AtariXLBox.INI, you have to do a

"Force Reload of D:\*.INI" from the Configuration Menu or else the changes

you made to AtariXLBox.INI will not be loaded.

Note the last paragraph. The settings I used was the bolded settings. I left the name server field blank. You have to sure you have networking set-up, a workgroup name (in my case I didn't need it though), a computer name, and a drive mapped for sharing.

Anyways give it a try and if it doesnt work lemme know what setting you used. To test it, go into select game and press Y until you get to the drive letters and then pick "SMB:\\". If it works it should work right away, if not then it will just lock.

Edited by Shannon

So, has anyone else tried the Pelican PL-950 Universal Arcade Stick? I did recently and I would say that it is OK. The stick isn't quite the best and buttons aren't as reponsive as I would like, but I think I would still prefer it to the stock controllers for classic emulation. I would say that it took a little getting used to, but for $9.99, a pretty good deal...

-Brian

• 5 weeks later...

I just bought one of these...

http://www.amazon.ca/GAMESTER-USA-Reflex-A...k/dp/B00008DWSU

It is in the mail. I'll let you know how it works.

I've also got an X-Arcade dual stick control pad, that sits in my MAME cabinet. When I bought it, I also bought myself an XBox adaptor for it. I've considered hooking it up, but it would be a PITA to take the CP out of my mame Cabinet... Which is why I bought this instead.

This was also like, $20, shipped. Where the X-Arcade Solo will cost you $100 plus the X-Box adaptor on top of that...

I've heard that SAMBA is a PITA to get running on the XBox, and that some of that has to do with FatX. (And some of it probably has to do with SAMBA being somewhat of a PITA anyhow, and with Win32 changing things around every now and again and breaking everything you've learned about SAMBA up until that point).

I just don't see the point. I've had real good luck with FTP-ing stuff onto the XBox, and I can browse my network shares on my PCs just fine from XBMC and other file managers, and copy stuff around that way.

I got an X-Arcade I sometimes use on the Xbox. I say "sometimes" because it's such a hulking large piece of shit (pos said in a colorful way, not deragotory way :P).

The one thing bad about it is there's no way that I know of to get the thing to become a 4 way joystick. Correct me if I'm wrong...

A couple of things...

The X-Arcade can be opened up and you can switch something out that makes it a 4 way stick instead of an 8 way. It isn't as easy as just hitting a button, though, and you have to undo it the next time you need 8 way, so it isn't very practical. But I can be done. I'll find the link tomorrow.

And, yeah, I know that when XBMC connects to my network shares that it is using SMB/CFIS (as a client). But, I'm assuming that people who want to get SAMBA running on XBox want to be able to attach to shares ON the Xbox from other machines on their network (the Xbox becoming a SAMBA server). Right? To me, this seems like a relatively unnecessary step. The only advantage it gives you is that you can use a nice Win32/Linux/Mac GUI environment to drag and drop shit from your PCs to the XBox, instead of doing basically the same thing with an FTP program *or* using a menued tree file manager from your Xbox to achieve the same result. It would be kind of cool to be able to open my Network Browser and see the Xbox there along with the rest of my shared resources... but it seems like a lot of extra effort for a relatively small payoff.

When it arrives, I'll let you know. At about $17 USD shipped, it seems like a relatively good deal, and, my past experience with the RSI stick makes me think that they DO know how to do joysticks well, if not plug and play TV games. :)

It should be possible. The trick is to get x-dsl to write the changes you make to the configuration files. There is a way to do it, but it is a little weird how it works (the files are packed somewhere on the xbox hard drive).

I don't think I ever figured out what mount parameters to use though to get it to work.

Edited by Shannon

My buddy the *nix guru did manage to ssh into and mount the fatx drives on the Xbox. But that was as far as he got. I forgot what hung us up after that. We weren't trying to get them shared via SAMBA, though... our goal was to make a gz tarbar of a certain collection of files on the drive. We never achieved that, either.

Really, there are limited practical reasons to try any of this. If you're just trying to move things around from a PC network to your XBox, there are a bunch of fairly reliable ways to do so over a PC network that don't require you to have shares set up on the Xbox.

If XBMC will NOT attach to your SAMBA shares... well, the first thing to do is make sure you've configured it so it is on the same workgroup as your network, and is using a valid username and password. But if that ISN'T working... the easiest way to get there, IMO, is to use the AID 3.1 Final .iso to install XBMC and the other apps. In particular, do a 1-click softmod install and then install the apps you want.

Not that I know anything about these things on a personal level.