8. Platz: M. Caillahuz, Plague Attack, 163 points

7. Platz: G. Schui, Whiskey Mon, 171 points

6. Platz: M. Caillahuz, Accion, 172 points

5. Platz: Mato Simi, Light Up, 179 points, 50 Euro

4. Platz: W. Fiedler, Cavern Run, 196 points, 75 Euro

3. Platz: M. Reichl, SIO-Hi-Patches, 205 points, 125 Euro

2. Platz: R. Sterba, Head On, 206 points, 250 Euro

1. Platz: C. Strotmann, Volks Forth, 227 points, 500 Euro

Congratulations to the winners and many thanks to all the authors who took part in this contest. As always the question: where can the programs be found ?!? Well, they are all available on ABBUC magazine 85. And if you are not a member of ABBUC you can ask the authors to send you a copy - or you may ask ABBUC (Wolfgang Burger at www.abbuc.de) to get a free sample of an ABBUC magazine (let`s say magazine 85 in this case), that will cost you only the porto...

Of course there will be a new ASC (ABBUC software contest) in 2007. I will post the new rules here, afaik the deadline will be the 15th or maybe 31st of August 2007. So better start programming now, so you have enough time to finish your program until then and take part in the next contest... greetings from ABBUC, Andreas Magenheimer.

Carsten, this is fantastic. How many people worked on Volks Forth project, just you? As I remember correctly, this Forth variation follows new Forth ANSI standards. Are the words / page source code and data stack manipulation compatible with old ValForth / FIG Forth or QS Forth?

Edited by Gury

Err,

well, for those that want to order a free copy of an ABBUC magazine - the software contest programs can all be found on special magazine 36 (and not magazine 85 as I wrote earlier)... greetings, Andreas Magenheimer.

Hi,

I am still thinking about subscribing to your magazine. Is it just in German or there are any English articles? Is there a way to get old issues?

Howdy Gury

I am still thinking about subscribing to your magazine. Is it just in German or there are any English articles? Is there a way to get old issues?

You'ld not only be subscribing to the magazin, you'ld become a member of ABBUC. I don't know how many members the ABBUC has at the moment. I arrived a bit later then planned, caused by a mix of my personality, my in-car navigation system and some maintenance done on the road, at the yearly meeting last saturday. So I didn't hear how many member there are right now. I'ld guess about 360 to 380. (I'm one of them)

The articles are in German.

The best way to get the old magazines is to become a member. Members can download the disks for free. Somebody's working on getting the paper part of the magazin on the net. But it's a lot of work. And it seems that finding a reliable provider is very hard today. I'm in two different clubs, both are having performance problems due to the fact that their provider can garantee the bandwith needed.

Greetings

Mathy

Carsten, this is fantastic. How many people worked on Volks Forth project, just you? As I remember correctly, this Forth variation follows new Forth ANSI standards. Are the words / page source code and data stack manipulation compatible with old ValForth / FIG Forth or QS Forth?

volksForth is a product of the German Chapter of Forth Interest Group (Forth Gesellschaft e.V., http://www.forth-ev.de).

The histroy as far as I know:

The base of volksForth was a 6502 Forth written by Klaus Schleisiek in 1980. The First 6502 volksForth Version was done by Bernd Pennemann and K.Schleisiek. Adaption for C64 "ultraFORTH" by G.Rehfeld. Adaption for 68000 and ATARI ST by D. Weineck and B. Pennemann. Adaption for 8080 and CP/M by Ullrich Hoffmann in 1986. Adaption for C16/Plus4 "ultraFORTH" by Claus Vogt. Adaption for 8088/86 and MS-DOS by Klaus Schleisiek in 1987. Enhancements to the 6502 Version by Ewald Rieger 1989.

The volksForth Project was mostly sleeping (no new development) from 1989 to 2005. In 2005 I picked up the sleeping project as a member of Forth Gesellschaft e.V. and started to secure the documentation and sourcecode, esp. the metacompiler which was never published officially but was used to cross-compile the different platform versions of volksForth. I then did the Port to Atari Portfolio (from the MS-DOS Version), the Apple 1 and Atari 8bit Port (from the 6502 Sources). I have updated the C64/C16/Plus 4 Versions in August 2006. I'm currently working on an updated package for CP/M, an Version for Apple II, Amstrad NC100, Amstrad CPC, Commodore PET, WDC "Mensch Computer" (65816).

I get much valuable support from the members of the Forth Gesellschaft. Currently I'm the only active member working in the volksForth project, but as this is an open-source project, everyone with interest in Forth programming is invited to join the team. There is lot of work to do.

Project goal is also to probide the excellent documentation which was before only in german language in english.

I will use the price money from the ABBUC Software contest to finance further work on volksForth, as well as Trainings (both classic class-style trainings and online trainings), as well as for a printed handbook (book on demand).

There had already been a normal Forth training in Germany held by ABBUC in September 2006 in Darmstadt.

The volksForth Project Page for all Platforms is http://volksForth.sf.net

volksForth is licensed under the BSD License and comes with full source code (the volksForth kernel is itself written in Forth and can compile itself).

An updated volksForth Atari 8bit Version will be published end of October with announcment in the AtariAge Forum.

I do a "One-Forth-Word-a-Day" Course in the ABBUC Forum (in german), with a small programm in both BASIC and Forth for comparison. I would like to do the same here in the AtariAge Forum, but I don't know if I will find time for it. Any help to translate the course snippets from german to english will be welcome.

We have a small tutorial "The Forth Bridge - From BASIC to Forth" in the ABBUC Wiki --> http://www.strotmann.de/twiki/bin/view/APG...ridgeVolksForth

Features of the current volksForth for Atari 8bit:

* write once, run everywhere: volksForth 3.81 for Atari 8bit is sourcecompatible with all other volksForth versions (Apple 1, Apple II, C=64, C16, Plus 4, PET, CP/M, Schneider CPC, MS-DOS, Atari Portfolio, Atari ST). A programm that is not using any of the platform specific features can be compiled and executed identical on all platforms

* almost complete: volksForth supports the full Forth-83 Standard, plus many ANSI Forth 94 Extensions. VolksForth Atari 8bit is the first volksForth with ANSI Fileinterface

* build-in HEAP-Memory Management, might be the first Atari 8bit Programming Language with build in HEAP Management exposed to the programmer

* build in 65©02 Assembler: Forthcode and Assembler code can be freely mixed

* build-in Decompiler: compiled Forth definitions can be decompiled and made sourcecode again

* build-in Disassembler: the 6502 Disassembler can make disassemble ML-Forth definitions and other ML code parts

* build-in tracer and debugger: Forth code can be executed in single-stop, between each step memory locations, variables etc. can be examinated and changed

* build in Multitasker: simple to use cooperative multitasking support. Threads have own Stack, Memory and User Area

* OOP (object Oriented Programming) extension: possible the first full OOP Language for the Atari 8bit (complete with objects, object-methods, inheritance)

* faster than Turbo Basic, as compact as machine language, will create direct COM-Programs

* Handbook in Germany Language (C64 Version, Atari Version in work): http://www.forth-ev.de/filemgmt/visit.php?lid=12

volksForth is just taken off. There is more to come. Stay tuned.

Carsten

Are the words / page source code and data stack manipulation compatible with old ValForth / FIG Forth or QS Forth?

Atari 8bit volksForth is not using Forth Blocks anymore but Forth Sourcefiles (ATASCII Text files residing on a DOS filesystem).

volksForth should be 90% compatible with old ValForth / FIG Forth or QS Forth. All migration recommendations found in the ANSI and Forth83 standard about moving from FIG, Forth-77, Forth-79 Standards to Forth83 standard apply. If you run into problems I'm always willing to help.

Carsten

Err,

well, for those that want to order a free copy of an ABBUC magazine - the software contest programs can all be found on special magazine 36 (and not magazine 85 as I wrote earlier)... greetings, Andreas Magenheimer.

Hi,

ABBUC is offering a free "evaluation" copy of the magazin. This can be ordered one-time from the club HQ.

The printed magazin part is in german, as are the disk magazin texts. There is a discussion in the club for years to provide english content, but because of lack of people interested in investing time translating this hasn't happend. Maybe it's a chicken and egg problem: because we don't have much members demanding english content, there is none, because there is no english content, there are no english speaking members demanding it.

Speaking for me, it is already hard to find freet time to write the german texts. Writing text both in german and english would be much more time consuming. Maybe we can use automatic translation by program and someone from the english speaking world will do the fine-tuning (with help from the original authors). It is worth a test.

If there will be 2-3 volunteers to help tuning programm-translated text into "real" english, I will speak to the wolfgang burger (club president) to give it a try and publish the content of the next magazin in english as PDF on the website for download. No guarantees here, but it might worth a try.

ABBUC has currently around 386 members.

Carsten

Edited by cas

Are the words / page source code and data stack manipulation compatible with old ValForth / FIG Forth or QS Forth?

Atari 8bit volksForth is not using Forth Blocks anymore but Forth Sourcefiles (ATASCII Text files residing on a DOS filesystem).

volksForth should be 90% compatible with old ValForth / FIG Forth or QS Forth. All migration recommendations found in the ANSI and Forth83 standard about moving from FIG, Forth-77, Forth-79 Standards to Forth83 standard apply. If you run into problems I'm always willing to help.

Carsten

Thank you both, Mathy and Cas, for such a detailed explanation. I will consider this new version of Forth :thumbsup: , if time allows. Now I am digging in ACTION! programming, but maybe I will give Forth a try.

Matosimi, another great logical game, this Light Up :thumbsup:

Regards

• 9 months later...