IGNORED

What happens to the Ataris after we die.

A_Username

It depends on who goes first, She Who Must Be Obeyed or me, if it's the former then my son will get my all of my collections (LPs, CDs, Books, DVDs, Guitars, Model Trains, Computers and consoles and all associated accessories, peripherals etc).

If it's the latter then I'd say a garage sale or junked would be the most likely outcome.

In this age of short attention spans, I find that my kids really like playing Atari as you can just fire it up and play without having to really apply yourself to learning the game. Now that is almost sadder than the thread topic!

Dont feel bad, there are a lot of kids nowadays that love classic video games as well as new games. We'll be able to pass it down. I may be one of the youngest Atari fans here on this forum (i'm 18) and I love both new and old games.

Somebody told me that they use atari 2600 games to help people recover from brain trauma to get their motor skills back. I'm also glad to hear that some of the younger kids are into atari.

It depends on who goes first, She Who Must Be Obeyed or me, if it's the former then my son will get my all of my collections (LPs, CDs, Books, DVDs, Guitars, Model Trains, Computers and consoles and all associated accessories, peripherals etc).

If it's the latter then I'd say a garage sale or junked would be the most likely outcome.

In this age of short attention spans, I find that my kids really like playing Atari as you can just fire it up and play without having to really apply yourself to learning the game. Now that is almost sadder than the thread topic!

:D SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED :D ...bows and worships...LOL

To answer your question, I watched a silent cartoon in a classic theater with a player piano, barely a month ago. The Museum of Science and Industry is kind of cool like that. ;)

That's awesome! It also illustrates that you were actually enjoying the medium on "its original hardware" as it were. (ie DVDs and HDTVs are analogous to emulation)

Hey here's an interesting idea. Steamboat Willie just showed up in Kingdom Hearts II, right (80 years after its creation)? Maybe the old videogames will show up in the virtual reality/holodeck experiences of the future.

Someone spoke of movies being sought after by groups of dedicated enthusiasts. That's great to hear. I really hope that people 80 years from now love this stuff as much as we do and appreciate it for its own sake.

I do like the car analogy better, but I think a car is considered a much more durable good (though I've got systems that have lasted longer than more than a few cars I've known). Anyway, yeah, I like it better because of all the classic car shows that still happen.

Well, one thing is for certain, by playing this stuff with our kids, we're helping to send this stuff into the future, so to speak, giving one more generation the opportunity to get nostalgic about something they did when they were kids.

Hey here's an interesting idea. Steamboat Willie just showed up in Kingdom Hearts II, right (80 years after its creation)? Maybe the old videogames will show up in the virtual reality/holodeck experiences of the future.

It's already happening. For example, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time has the original game hidden inside of it. Similarly, TMNT: Mutant Nightmare has a copy of TMNT: Turtles in Time hidden in it. So Kingdom of Hears is simply one more entry in a growing "hidden retro" movement. :)

P.S. Did you know that none of the modern copies of the cult classic Metropolis are complete? The U.S. version of the movie was reedited into a shorter film. As a result, much of the original German footage was lost, along with various plot points of the original story.

Edited by jbanes

Depressing thread man :sad:

Please don't die Crazy Climber!

:sad: :sad:

:D LOL

Don't worry man, I'm not planning on it anytime soon.

That's the thing,you dont always die naturally,or in the hospital wasting away from terminal illness,,you can get ran over by a car TOMORROW,with no will or nothing,then the court decides where your stuff goes,so MAKE OUT A WILL,I've had one since I was 20,of course,you have to keep updating every once in a while as circumstances change,but its better than the alternative already stated above.

Edited by Rik

Depressing thread man :sad:

Please don't die Crazy Climber!

:sad: :sad:

:D LOL

Don't worry man, I'm not planning on it anytime soon.

That's the thing,you dont always die naturally,or in the hospital wasting away from terminal illness,,you can get ran over by a car TOMORROW,with no will or nothing,then the court decides where your stuff goes,so MAKE OUT A WILL,I've had one since I was 20

Welcome back,Rik! :)

Already having children, I actually have to have a will. I willed by Black Widow to a friend (also this hideous sweatshirt I got at Ross for $1 that he swears he will wear when he plays it). My kids can fight it out over the rest. They like classic gaming so they will probably want the stuff anyway. Maybe then my 1400XL will wind up on eBay (but probably not before).

Eric

P.S. Did you know that none of the modern copies of the cult classic Metropolis are complete? The U.S. version of the movie was reedited into a shorter film. As a result, much of the original German footage was lost, along with various plot points of the original story.

It wasn't just the U.S. version. The original version was only shown for a few weeks at its full original running time. Still, even what exists is pretty amazing. The animated model work on the exteriors was incredible, and some of the giant sets and matte shots are brilliant. That "M" machine was huge.

Too bad only stills exist of the Hel statue, though--that looks like it would have been cool, and it also helps tremendously with the scientist's backstory.

It's already happening. For example, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time has the original game hidden inside of it. Similarly, TMNT: Mutant Nightmare has a copy of TMNT: Turtles in Time hidden in it. So Kingdom of Hears is simply one more entry in a growing "hidden retro" movement. :)

I don't deny that's cool and maybe someday PoP:SoT along with the hidden original will show up in yet another iteration of the franchise. What I mean by my Steamboat Willie -> KHII example is that as cartoons are showing up (in some form) in videogames, maybe videogames will show up (in some form) in whatever comes after videogames (as opposed to older videogames showing up in newer videogames).

Interesting and sad about Metropolis.

I can see people junking stuff that's just all dumped in a box and looks dusty.

But would people really junk a load of stuff that looks in good condition and is displayed properly? I'm sure most people would think it's a waste and a shame, I'm sure they'd just sell it or something.

Anyway, think about when all the Atari stuff is thosands and thousands of years old, it'd be more akin to stone age tools, or ancient Roman artifacts, so, there'd still be a following there, you'd have it all preserved in shelf after shelf of boxes, or thousands of drawers, with historians and professors studying it and putting on white gloves if they're going to touch anything. Lol. :lol:

And my guess is it'd probably all be worth a real lot.

Edited by Ross PK

Or what about when they're as old and are as rare a find as dinosaur bones? :P

Yeah, I wonder what names they'll give the consoles then? Segasaurus? Ataridactyl? Nintendodocus?

While everyone else is playing virtual reality halo or something, I'll be sitting in my basement a tired old man playing my Ataridactyl. And when everyone says I need to keep up with the times, I'll tell it's their loss. It's gameplay that's important not graphics.

We were talking about this a few months ago, namely regarding the decreasing value of Bally Astrocades and 2600s. What we figured would happen is that the number of people collecting these systems would probably go down and the value would also go down. We thought the 2600 will probably stay around due to it's history but more obscure systems such as the Astrocade, Odyssey, or Channel F would mostly fade into oblivion since their primary value is to those that used them. Once the people who collected them for nostalgic reasons are gone few others would have a reason to pick them up. I assume the same will probably happen to the later Atari systems such as the Jag or 5200. Each future generation will probably have their own nostalgic systems that they will pick up when they get older (for my kids generation it will probably be playstations, xboxes, and wiis) with only the hard core collectors going earlier (similar to now).

We were talking about this a few months ago, namely regarding the decreasing value of Bally Astrocades and 2600s. What we figured would happen is that the number of people collecting these systems would probably go down and the value would also go down. We thought the 2600 will probably stay around due to it's history but more obscure systems such as the Astrocade, Odyssey, or Channel F would mostly fade into oblivion since their primary value is to those that used them. Once the people who collected them for nostalgic reasons are gone few others would have a reason to pick them up. I assume the same will probably happen to the later Atari systems such as the Jag or 5200. Each future generation will probably have their own nostalgic systems that they will pick up when they get older (for my kids generation it will probably be playstations, xboxes, and wiis) with only the hard core collectors going earlier (similar to now).

It's all good.Let's collect everything :)

It's all good.Let's collect everything :)

They day the wii is considered will be a sad day, I'll feel really old.

Maybe our kids will pick up a few ataris because they are nostalgic about use being nostalgic. They'll bring it over to me a tired old man and I can ramble on about the "good old days".

Edited by A_Username

Yea, this is truly depressing, and this is when you realize that life is really short and many things have been forgotten already. There are so many people of my generation(im 19 btw) that have never even seen an Atari or an Intellivision, but I have a plan for my children... you see, im going to start them out on Pong before they can walk, and work my way up through the systems. One day i will say to my child,"Did you play your video games today?" "but i was doing my homework." " WHAT!?! Video games come first! you can do your homework on the weekend, Now i want those 8 master robots beat before bedtime!" ....lol.

True gamers will live forever through their children and through their children's children.

Try this, I have a copy and it is BRILLIANT. They claim it is the full version:

http://www.madman.com.au/actions/catalogue...amp;method=view