IGNORED

The Drama Continues.. Part Two

ItsAtariTime

Third. *looks at near mint Tank Command*

First, I've dealt with stlouisrams. Twice IIRC, and the first was for the other R7 title, Mean 18. I was very impressed with that deal, and the second deal for Midnight Mutants, went without incident. That $149 BIN for the bare Tank Command is in the stratosphere. I paid $100 for mine, shipped, and that was still 30% too much.

Don't blame the seller for pricing. Its obvious he doesn't know what its worth or we wouldn't be where we are. Blame the guy who emailed him and told him it was worth X ammount.

Its always the sellers fault. Just ask any buyer! LMAO! Anyone that has bought on ebay at one time or another , has felt the need to dictate the terms to the seller, which is exactly why I closed shop on ebay a few years back and I only sell or trade with other collectors except on very rare occasions. well that wasnt the main reason but it was annoying when someone would ask why is this one more than the other guys? and stupid stuff like that. Id have to explain mine was in apparent better shape by pics, was guaranteed and the other was as-is and that he had Asteroids and defender which is great, but mine had strategy x in it or something besides pacman and combat. Gotta Love the dumb questions, especially when you just wake up from a long previous day and the coffee hasnt yet reached your lip on a saturday morn. Ok, enough of my ramblings.

I have to agree with this. I normally don't do this but anymore, it's getting hard to find a game you are looking for only for it to be snatched by someone that made a side deal with the seller. However, I have a policy that if the auction is already won, leave it alone. The buyer won it fair and square. If the auction is still going, and it's something that I need really bad or want, then I will send in an offer to the seller. It's cutthroat out there when it comes to collecting anymore. Guess that's why I don't use ebay very often anymore :-/ Not worth the drama.

This is like WWF but with Atari!

Does stuff like this happen all the time? This is too much!

Yes it happens all the time and it isnt limited to atari...Myself I would love just to bid on things I want I have a regular job but anymore when a rare item comes up for auction your almost forced to email the seller and either tell them you will be bidding or how much your willing to pay because if you dont someone will try and make a side deal..I havent watched any atari auctions in a long time but Ive had dozens of nes items I was watching disappear with buyer ended auction early..So ebays pretty much turned into if you see something you want you better try to make some kind of deal because if you dont someone else will...And im not just talking about trying to get a rare item for a low price I talking about having the chance to bid before the auction gets ended with a side deal...Its a really big problem with nes stuff.

Ok.. so this is winding down to:

It's OK to try to undo a sale BIN if you feel the seller was asked by a Buyer who had the seller price it lower than you would pay.

It's also OK to email a seller to warn him/her not to accept any BIN offers.. so the auction will run to the end.

It is still OK to ask the seller for a BIN..( as a collector) and pray to God that it is shipped prior to any of the above see it. If you are a reseller, this rule does not apply.. :P Your deal should always be killed.. in the name of collecting. :razz:

So based on what I am reading..

Some of you feel the need to educate sellers on Atari value

Some of you feel that a sold item is still available if you can kill the deal

Some of you feel that resellers should never offer to buy thing with BIN's or Side deals

Some of you feel Side Deal and BIN's if for your own collection is OK as it is a dog eat dog world on ebay.

To me a sold item is a sold item, as we all have seen... this is a very touchy subject. If you are lucky enough to get a deal.. as we have just seen, it is not done until you have it in your hands.

It is amazing how cut throat the Atari collecting hobby is.. and that is sad. :sad:

It is amazing how cut throat the Atari collecting hobby is.. and that is sad. :sad:

Harmless compared to baseball cards and comic books, those fools kill each other over paper. LOL

Ya at least our hobby does it in the name of plastic, woven fibers, tin, lead & gold fingers. :lol:

I normally don't do this but anymore, it's getting hard to find a game you are looking for only for it to be snatched by someone that made a side deal with the seller . . .

If the auction is still going, and it's something that I need really bad or want, then I will send in an offer to the seller. It's cutthroat out there when it comes to collecting anymore.

It's okay to be cutthroat if it's something I need or want really bad, because everyone else is cutthroat.

However, I have a policy that if the auction is already won, leave it alone. The buyer won it fair and square.

Even if they won it by playing cutthroat, they still won it and I leave it alone.

Basically what I'm hearing (and not just from you, Hounder)

If someone has won an auction via "cutthroat" means, so be it. They won.

Since many are winning by "cutthroat" means, it's okay if I win the same way, BUT that's where it ends

It's only okay to play "cutthroat" until an auction ends, BUT it's not okay to be cutthroat after an auction ends.

"Hey, I know I cut your throat by making a side deal on auction X, but it's not right for you or anyone else to cut my throat after I've won the auction (by cutting someone's throat)."

"I want to play by my own rules, but I don't accept someone else playing by their own rules."

To run with the metaphor, if you have a policy of cutthing throats don't be shocked if you get cut.

"I want to play by my own rules, but I don't accept someone else playing by their own rules."

Bingo. Many, many, many people think along the lines of:

It's cool and completely OK if I can get one over on someone/something else!

It's not cool and completely WRONG if someone/something else get's one over on me!

This isn't directed at anyone, or any particular instance - but the ebay shenanigans are just a microcosm of the rest of the world.

Here's what I was meaning in case anyone is confused. When an auction is over, it's over. I will contact the winner to see if they want to sell to me. Not the seller. However, if the auction is going and I want the item really bad then yes, sometimes I will contact the seller to end the auction early. However, I do not do this if bidding has already started on the item especially if two or more people have a bid.

I've had auctions stolen from me multiple times because of side deals. I really don't care half the time but I don't get upset and angry if I did care.

Honestly, I don't mind sidedeals if it's a once in a while thing but anymore it's an all the time thing and some people do it all the time. Sad that some collector's can't respect others enough to leave a won auction alone. You want the item, contact the new owner. Play it fair and square.

I really need to go to bed so I hope this all makes sense :P

I do side deals on the buying and selling end of things. It happens and in 99 percent of all cases both parties are quite happy with the deal. BUT at the same time being a fuckwad about it and screwing around afterward is not something I personally would do. I notice when an add looks like it was ended do to a side deal and I get a chuckle out of it. Kinda like "oh, someone got a good deal" and then move on to the next cause who knows maybe I'll get lucky with winning the next one cheap or get a side deal myself. So ya I think side deals are fine but as far as dealing after an auction is complete is not something I personally find ethical. I have no double standards on this either. I see it black and white.

The person who is listing that need to look up perfect in Webster's dicitionary. The term "perfect" does not include a crushed box like the one in the auction picture.

Oh, I might as well mention this: At my local Game X change, Tank Command sells for 95 cents. If it has the box and instructions, it sells for $1.95.

shadow: That is a stupid point. If Game Crazy had Stadium Events, they would sell it for $0.99, store policy does not constitute value, so it should not be used as a basis for this auction. He's try to get what it is worth, and considering a loose one with manual went for over $200 a few weeks back, he's trying to get the most he can for it. It's not as if his price is THAT out of control or anything. Title Match Pro Wrestling's price is probably double that if it ever hits eBay boxed for 7800.

shadow: That is a stupid point. If Game Crazy had Stadium Events, they would sell it for $0.99, store policy does not constitute value, so it should not be used as a basis for this auction. He's try to get what it is worth, and considering a loose one with manual went for over $200 a few weeks back, he's trying to get the most he can for it. It's not as if his price is THAT out of control or anything. Title Match Pro Wrestling's price is probably double that if it ever hits eBay boxed for 7800.

Hope not double what I paid for mine.lol I hope whoever does need this one still gets lucky and picks it up at a good deal.

The difference between you and the store that I go to is twofold:

1. The local game store personnel don't tell me I'm stupid.

2. The local game store still has my business. You, sir, do not.

shadow: I did not say YOU were stupid, I said it was a stupid point to bring up the fact you can get Tank Command for 0.99 at your local store IF it ever comes in. Hence why I mentioned Stadium Events for NES as a prime example. I'm sorry if you feel I insulted you, but that was NOT my intention. Please read that I stated the POINT was "stupid", not YOU.

AS far as "me" not getting your business, well, it would be kind of hard to compete with a place selling rarities for 0.99, ya know?????? You don't even need to deal with eBay ever again!

Edited by DreamTR

I asked the guy selling Title Match why he ended the auction. He said it was still available. I had a pretty significant snipe on that auction, and he said it was still available? Bizarre. I got a sealed one today, cost me a bit, but whatever, Atari 7800 is finally done.

Congrats on finishing the set. What systems next? You gonna finish off the 2600?

Title Match Pro Wrestling's price is probably double that if it ever hits eBay boxed for 7800.

"The seller ended this listing early because the item is no longer available for sale."

shocking, i know...

Wow, he has two copies, there is no seam in the picture.

I wouldn't be surprised - rummager is definitely old school. I remember buying some juicy stuff from him almost 10 years ago.

I do side deals on the buying and selling end of things. It happens and in 99 percent of all cases both parties are quite happy with the deal. BUT at the same time being a ... about it and screwing around afterward is not something I personally would do. I notice when an add looks like it was ended do to a side deal and I get a chuckle out of it. Kinda like "oh, someone got a good deal" and then move on to the next cause who knows maybe I'll get lucky with winning the next one cheap or get a side deal myself. So ya I think side deals are fine but as far as dealing after an auction is complete is not something I personally find ethical. I have no double standards on this either. I see it black and white.

You got it backwards, buddy.

"Side deals" (as in talking ignorant sellers into ending early for way below market value) are unethical, for reasons I've explained previously. If the seller is happy with it it is because the buyer has taken advantage of an ignorant individual, not to mention having taken advantage of eBay for hooking the buyer and seller up for free, and of all the other potential buyers who are now out their chance to bid fair and square, as well as interested observers who wanted to know what the item went for at market rate.

It is not ethical to take advantage of people. It is practically theft.

Educating a seller about these points, and the likelihood that they are letting themselves be screwed, is not something a little petty name calling is going to keep me from doing. I find it completely ethical; just because I might piss off a con man doesn't make it otherwise.

I don't tell them they got screwed outright. I tell them that I hope they got at least $X for it, because it is common for unscrupulous collectors to offer what seems like a lot but actually way too little, and that if that is the case and it ended with all bids canceled that they might want to tell the guy to take a hike and start over. BIN's and Ended Early at Current Price (ya) aren't so simple to derail, I just tell them to think twice next time, but I have had them be so POed as to back out anyway. A few hundred dollars assuages a neg very nicely.

Edited by lemoncurry

Shawn: I am not sure anyone can really "finish" off the 2600. My goal was to acquire as much of a complete collection of games as possible without going to variations and questionable games and homebrews. I am basically almost at that goal minus the ones on my want list, which essentially is all of the titles minus the Sears dupes, but including the Sears originals and stuff. I've already completed a bunch of systems, and I'm trying to get Game Gear and Game Boy done, but those I am usually paralyzed by lack of boxes....