IGNORED

The REAL natural habitat

Gunstar

Whooo hooo... I finally got my act together and I am able to upload a photo of my Atari in it's home.

Use APE to load games, etc. Plenty of stuff not show as don't have room for them on my desk.

The XEGS, 130XE, 1050, XF551, XC12, SpartaDOSX (coolest DOS ever) and loads of cartridges....

Not the best shot as it's dark here now. I love this Atari stuff....

post-4247-1168117882_thumb.jpg

OK, this thread is cool. It got me to come out of oh maybe 4+ years of just silent lurking.

here is my setup just now... not quite as clean as it used to be, as I had to compress to fit other systems into my limited office space. I'm running a 130XE + Blackbox/FloppyBoard, SCSI Syquest removable and Zip drive as well as SCSI CDROM which can be accessed using Mathy's program, 1050 w/ Super Archiver board, Best Electronics keyboard upgrade and R-Time 8 "piggyback" cart shown plugged into the BB. As a side benefit, the R-Time 8 allows easy insertion of old style Atari-brand carts into the BB.

I've also got a nec 3d monitor there thats used by the Jaguar up top (and the Dreamcast too). Then there's the Trash-80 Model IV. Thats just one corner of my office. In other corners I've got a Model I, Vectrex, Atari ST, and Mac Color Classic all up and running. Then there's the software closets and the manual shelves....

mysetup2007a.PNG

-retrobits

Edited by retrobits

Whooo hooo... I finally got my act together and I am able to upload a photo of my Atari in it's home.

Use APE to load games, etc. Plenty of stuff not show as don't have room for them on my desk.

The XEGS, 130XE, 1050, XF551, XC12, SpartaDOSX (coolest DOS ever) and loads of cartridges....

Love the setup. I've noticed there's no data recorder, do you not bother with cassette games?

Edited by Ross PK

Now that is a nice and tidy setup. Wish mine looked that good, I seem to have wires everywhere at the moment.

post-1754-1166203120_thumb.jpg

XMM801 dot matrix printer w/ radio station bumper sticker from Midwest Classic a few yrs back. ('04?)

Also have 1010 recorder & 1020 plotter stashed in closet, rarely used.

Loved the radio station sticker on the printer. Seems like something I would have done as a teen.

Mine is still in boxes after moving. Here is the last picture I took of it at the old house although when I took it down, I had 3 1050 ProSys Drives (1 happy, 1 USD and 1 stock) hooked to a newer P4 APEBOX.

Maybe this weekend...

post-8623-1168290904_thumb.jpg

(NOTE: If you make this image big enough you can actually read the legend at the bottom.)

Edited by bf2k+

Now that is a nice and tidy setup. Wish mine looked that good, I seem to have wires everywhere at the moment.

Well it's only the desk you didn't see what was behind the camera! :) I have other stuff - here the list

Amiga 1200, Atari 520STE, Supra 30MB HD, Atari XEGS, XF551, 1050, XC12, etc... on shelves. Actually I should get a photos of all that too! Will get digital camera when I go home.

..I've noticed there's no data recorder, do you not bother with cassette games?

I gave APE that I purchased from Steve at Atarimax sometime ago (thanks Steve!) that provides me with all the software, ATRs and CAS images I need. Don't know how reliable the current XC12 would be!

Here is a screen of my new color ANSI terminal on the big screen...

Hey, that's pretty cool... That's a 130XE? What terminal program is that?

Yes. It is a 130XE on screen. The terminal program is mine, of my own making. I call it ANSITERM. It does 8 colors on screen (so you have 8 colors for the background text and 8 colors for the foreground).

does not work on my system :( I'm using SDX. When running it from MyDOS it loads a sector or two, and then you hear that "drive is missing"-tone. ICE-T runs fine with rverter.hnd and SDX ... wish ANSITerm would run too !!

maybe you could double check some of these recommendations:

http://www.s-direktnet.de/homepages/k_nadj/guide1.html

\twh

does not work on my system :( I'm using SDX. When running it from MyDOS it loads a sector or two, and then you hear that "drive is missing"-tone. ICE-T runs fine with rverter.hnd and SDX ... wish ANSITerm would run too !!

\twh

I have double check these recommendations. What do you mean "drive is missing"-tone? Ansiterm will turn off the drive noise while booting...

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I decided to reorganize the 'ol office a bit this weekend and here is what I've got set up now.

post-12109-1169419742_thumb.jpg

This is my 1200XL with clearpic 2002 and warp os. I use the Toshiba Libretto 110CT (a tiny pentium 266Mhz palmtop) for running APE. Also, in this case its performing dual duty by blasting out a midi file for Ultima IV (listen here).

post-12109-1169421431_thumb.jpg

To the right is my Jaguar and Dreamcast, sharing the Nec 3D monitor. There is a big bass speaker under the desk where these bad boys sit that really vibrates the whole room when I play defender on the Jag.

post-12109-1169419830_thumb.jpg

Next to those is my trusty 1040STF. Got through college with this one and now pretty much just use it for Deuteros, Dungeon Master, and Oids.

post-12109-1169421610_thumb.jpg

And here is my vectrex alongside my magazine archive. I've got roughly 7 years of BYTE ('78 through '85) and pretty much every issue of Antic and Analog. Also a pile of Creative Computing and COMPUTE!. Great reading.

post-12109-1169421714_thumb.jpg

Finally here's my software cabinet. Mostly RPGs and Adventure games... :D

-retrobits

Hey all,

Retrobits mentioned that you might be interested in my setup, so here it is. I registered at Atarimax just to post this. :)

(Please mind the mess, I just moved into a new house, and note that the photo is large.)

post-12211-1169476401_thumb.jpg

Here is my 800XL, in its natural environment (my home theater, a.k.a. The Cave). It has Super Video 2.1a and a quad-boot ROM, connected via homebrew audio/svideo cable to my 5.1 receiver. The display is a 42" PDP, and while the computer's native audio output is mono, the receiver channels it through all five speakers (I don't believe the Atari's frequency range gives the subwoofer much to do).

If I may say so, "Star Raiders" doesn't get much better than this. :)

The Atari shares that cute little wood cabinet with a soft-modded Xbox, which is used only for game emulation and viewing nether-region DVDs. Inside the cabinet is an Atari 810 (Happy enhanced) and 410, plus my collection of carts, disks and controllers. The svideo/audio/power cables are long enough for me to roll the cabinet out for easy keyboard access.

Predictably, this 800XL is used mostly for games. While I enjoyed hacking around with 6502 assembly in my past, alas, I don't have time for it anymore. Still, these old 8-bit games kick butt ... maybe it's nostalgia, but I haven't yet found a console worthy enough to vanquish the Atari8. My next step is to experiment with the Atarimax flash cart, to see if I can consolidate my aging cartridge collection into something more modern.

When I assembled this kit, it was my goal to make it play as many Atari games as possible (hence the quad-boot ROM and the 410), although in practice 99% of its software comes from carts. Not shown is a gaming PC that doubles as my SIO2PC box, but you can see where it lives ... just look for the stray cables, on top of the black subwoofer.

(I also have an XEGS in a small little AV hutch upstairs, connected to a 12" TV with a single speaker, but it's only installed there as an affectation. Why bother playing games on that thing when I can come down to The Cave and play them on this? :D )

I must applaud the creator of the SV2.1a hack; using my homemade DIN-to-svideo cable, the display on that 42" PDP is crystal clear. (Any granularity in the picture is caused by my camera.) This may sound like hyperbole, but the colors and contrast are crisper than what comes out of the Xbox: every pixel is solid, bold, and ... well, the size of your fist :).

Edited by megarat

\twh

I have double check these recommendations. What do you mean "drive is missing"-tone? Ansiterm will turn off the drive noise while booting...

oops I missed your response on that ... sorry ... The "drive missing" tone is what you hear, when you turn on the Atari without a drive connected until the READY string appears ...

you said you double checked the recommendations. You actually fixed anything on your code? I could test the compatibility then... just let me know.

\twh

The Dreamcast has now been consigned to the clear perspex box, and the 800XL is now set up properly, it's still really cramped for space though, the data recorder is squeezed in behind it.

atari001.jpg

Ross, you need to get yourself a coffee table. I ran my old computers like that for quite a while, until I built my desk.

Love your setup megarat.

Ross, you need to get yourself a coffee table. I ran my old computers like that for quite a while, until I built my desk.

I was thinking of maybe a really big cabinet with loads of shelf space in, I think a coffee table would be nice but I'm not sure if there'd be enough room because I'd have to line everything up on it (My 800XL, Data Recorder, Video, PS2).

I may just go for a bigger cabinet (something in a light colour wood like pine, I've never liked dark colour wood like what I've got now) and then some really big shelves to fit all games on (since I've ran out of space there too) with like some sliding glass doors to protect them from dust.

Edited by Ross PK

Hi Eric,

its a Black Box (an scsi interface developed and sold by Bob Puff http://nleaudio.com/css/) with an R-Time8 cart plugged in to a pass through vertical cartridge port (which is right on the Black Box itself). The R-Time8 is a battery powered "piggyback" cart that sets the system time. You can plug any other cart on top of the R-Time8 like I did in the pic with my MULE. It does have the side effect of making the 130XE cartridge port much more accessible.

-retrobits

Looking at your setup I see a MULE cart sticking straight up from behind the 130xe, is the cart connected in ? I have a 130xe and I am just curious about that hookup.

Here's a more recent image of my 'retro corner'.

It looks like chaos, and it is chaos. (apologies about the spectrum loading screen on the tv ;) )

post-5184-1169817154_thumb.jpg

Gaming and retro system that can be seen are (from left to right) Oric Atmos, 48K ZX Spectrum, ZX Spectrum+, Atari 800XL (with SIO2PC sitting on top), 1050 Disk Drive.

And on top of the TV is my Nintendo DS Lite charging up.

All of the systems are working and unmodified, except for the ZX Spectrum+ which I have bypassed the RF modulator to give me direct video out.

Edited by Pengwin