IGNORED

Are there any classic Arcades left in the world? Please show me pics!

Crazy Climber

• 4 weeks later...

Cedar Point used to have a great collection, including a lot of old pins. The machines seem to be disappearing as they break. They do have a decent collection though.

Marvins Mechanical Museum in Michigan is a great place to go. He has some classics, a lot of unique mechanical machines, some new stuff, and a heck of an atmosphere.

DisneyQuest has some nice games too but many of them need some attention. A lot of them have monitor or joystick issues. The cabinets are in great shape though. I go there once a year and have seen a steady removal of games. Although there are games disappearing, DQ has been putting in a few multicades to make up for it. I prefer the real machine but something is better than nothing.

Edited by DigitalDaredevil

Is Pac-Man Cafe still open in Orlando? They had a modern arcade upstairs, a couple of rows of classics downstairs and a bunch of pac-man memoribilia. Definitely worth going to if you already happen to be in the area.

http://www.challengearcade.com/

Located in the Berkshire Mall in Wyomissing, PA . Thier pictures page doesn't seem to be working but I've been there and it's a very cool 80's style arcade.

Dan

OOOH, I live in the Poconos and not to far from there, I am going to have to get a pocket of quarters and spend a Sat morning there!

I know last year I was at Disney in FL and went to their arcade place (cant remember the name, but there was a whole floor of them. I spent some time there, it was great!

Also for those in south Jersey or Phili. At seaside Heights there is an arcade by the indoor Carousel that is all 80's games. just like back in the day when I was a kid and went there.

Is Pac-Man Cafe still open in Orlando? They had a modern arcade upstairs, a couple of rows of classics downstairs and a bunch of pac-man memoribilia. Definitely worth going to if you already happen to be in the area.

No, It is closed, sadly.

In Seaside Heights New Jersey they have this awesome arcade/carousel building that has a room of old classics like Pac Man, Galaga, Asteroids, spy hunter and even the old Star Wars game. They have at least 25 to 30 classic machines there as well as a ton of old pinball games too. Here is a link to it:

http://arcadelocations.classicgaming.games...3?code=njseacar

• 2 weeks later...

this was recommended to me by people of Atariage and KLOV

I went to Disney quest in Florida

Now i know it has a big MIX of games, from old to new but its selection of old games kept me occupied for hours,

i have a video of one corner of arcade games, apologies on how shakey it is, small camera and its hard for me to walk and keep still

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j46/Atar...nt=DSCF2864.flv

• 3 weeks later...

Yes sir, Disney Quest is a great place for a classic game fix if you are going to Downtown Disney. I hit it every time I go down. I remember the first time I went was on my honeymoon and didn't know what the place was. What a surprise when I made it to that floor with the freeplay games!!! I was in heaven (oh yeah and being just married too ;) !). Anyway highly recommended, plus they have some other cool things going on in there like some virtual games and stuff like that. You could easily spend a day in there.

- Sal

www.marvin3m.com has a good, rotating selection of classics mixed in with neo-classics and modern games and several pinballs. It's probably not economically feasible to have only classic games since todays kids wouldn't like them.

Cedar Point had a bunch of classics. I don't know if they still do though. My brother went there a few years ago and said they had an awesome arcade filled with classic sitdowns like Red Baron(vector) and Sinistar, Star Wars; all for a quarter.

games1.jpg

seats.jpg

Sadly It's almost gone a Ceder Point, Last summer they has a few classics, some working and 2 Hercules pinballs. The rest had kinda been taken over by Kiddie Gambling err I mean redemption games.

Edited by atarian63

I haven't been there in a while, but the 4th floor in the Mall of America used to have arcades galore up there. They also have quite a few in that theme park thats in the middle of the whole thing too.

The 4th floor one was gone a while ago. Mind you, the arcade sucked. The sub-first floor one(near Camp Snoopy(whtever it is now)) had about 1 arcade game for 8-9 kiddie machines. Real depressing.

I miss the Piccadilly Circus that was on Ford Parkway in Highland Park. Saw the first Dragon's lair there.

Pac Man Cafe closed at least 4 years ago. I went in 2004 and looked for it. Employees in the shopping area said that it was closed. I really was looking forward to that but ended up being disappointed.

4 years ago? Wow, I didn't realize that it was that long ago since I had been there!

• 2 years later...

In Seaside Heights New Jersey they have this awesome arcade/carousel building that has a room of old classics like Pac Man, Galaga, Asteroids, spy hunter and even the old Star Wars game. They have at least 25 to 30 classic machines there as well as a ton of old pinball games too.

They named that place "Flashback" some years ago. I just went to Seaside a few nights ago and now they have TWO arcades called Flashback.

But the real retro Flashback now charges fifty cents a game. (They were still a quarter a pop last summer.) That pissed me off BIG TIME.

Sorry to resurrect, but I had to update about Flashback at Seaside Heights.

• Like 1

They named that place "Flashback" some years ago. I just went to Seaside a few nights ago and now they have TWO arcades called Flashback.

But the real retro Flashback now charges fifty cents a game. (They were still a quarter a pop last summer.) That pissed me off BIG TIME.

Sorry to resurrect, but I had to update about Flashback at Seaside Heights.

It's actually "Flashbacks" and I was just there a week ago.

Check out aurcade.com for the locations of the classic arcades.

BTW, I saw Challenge Arcade mentioned in a previous post - they are possibly closing their doors at the end of this month so stay tuned.

Edited by rmaerz

• 2 weeks later...

There is a small arcade in the Bangor Mall (Maine) called the Twilight Zone.

It mainly consists of redemption games, but there are a small handful of pinball games and some newer racing games.

In terms of classics, there is an original Frogger and a newer Galaga/Ms. Pac Man cabinet.

There used to be a big arcade in this mall in the mid-1980s (it was only time I ever saw Super Zaxxon); I do not know if this is the same place. I get to Bangor abouit every 10 years or so.

• 5 weeks later...

Richie Knucklez in Flemington, NJ is a great place. They have a live cam every Friday night for his "Flashback Fridays". I think his business is a shop primarily and he rents it out for birthday parties, but every Friday he puts everything on FREEPLAY and charges a small fee at the door for all you want to play. Here is a link to his webcast he does every Friday:

www.justin.tv/richieknucklez

Other locations:

1984 arcade in Springfield, MO

Stella's Lounge in Grand Rapids, MI

High Scores is a new one in Burlington, NJ. Here is their website: http://www.highscoresarcade.blogspot.com/

John Marks

There is a forum thread listing arcades with classic machines on the Retroist website right now: Link

In addition to Ground Kontrol in Portland, there is the big arcade (name?) in Seaside, OR with lots of classic stuff as well as lots of redemption, and in Vegas, there is an arcade on the strip near the MGM with lots of classic stuff. Morgan