IGNORED

Looking for Larry Miller

Evil Plant

Hello everyone!

For those of you who might be interested in the "where are they nows" of classic game programming, one prominent figure has remained illusive for many... a man by the name of Larry Miller.

Here are the games he is credited with from the Classic List of Game Programmers:

Miller, Larry

Epoch (1981, AP2, Sirius)

Hadron (AP2, Sirius)

Minotaur (AP2, Sirius)

Spider Fighter (1982?, 2600, ACT)

Enduro (1983?, 2600, ACT)

While his Atari 2600 games are certainly well-done and well-known, his Apple II games are just as impressive from a technical standpoint. Epoch was a Star Raiders type game that involved a scaleing effect which was never used before or since, and baffled the best game programmers of the day.

Legends abound about the guy, too. He is said to be a mathimatician, and is also said to be able to code assembly by hand with pencil and paper. According to one story, he wrote an entire game lineraly on paper, and asked his secretary to type it in. Boom... it worked first try.

So... anyone have any info on this lost figure?

Larry currently lives up here in Foster City, CA and does quite a bit of contract programming work. When I spoke with him alst, he was doing some computerized securities trading work based on statistical models and computer software that he himself had developed.

I spoke with him sometime ago. He's a really nice guy and is incredibly humble.

He kinda' thinks it's funny that so many people dwell on his old games 'n' what not. :-)

He's out of the game business all-together and has been for quite sometime..

The guy is absitively positlutely SMART.

Since leaving the Big A a long time ago, he also practiced Medicine.

- Ken

• Like 2

Larry currently lives up here in Foster City, CA and does quite a bit of contract programming work. When I spoke with him alst, he was doing some computerized securities trading work based on statistical models and computer software that he himself had developed.

I spoke with him sometime ago. He's a really nice guy and is incredibly humble.

He kinda' thinks it's funny that so many people dwell on his old games 'n' what not. :-)

He's out of the game business all-together and has been for quite sometime..

The guy is absitively positlutely SMART.

Since leaving the Big A a long time ago, he also practiced Medicine.

- Ken

Wow, thanks for that update! I too have been curious about Larry Miller for quite some time; even as far back as Activision's first 2600 Action Pack compilation, his biography section in the help menus didn't have much more information than "his whereabouts are presently unknown."

It's always fascinating to hear about the classic game programmers and what they're up to these days, and I'm especially glad he's aware that his games have a fan following even today. Developers like him deserve to know that their work is still appreciated after all these years and continues to bring many hours of entertainment to people around the world.

Wow! It's certainly amazing to know that he's around and alive. Foster City? That's like 3 minutes from my house. Astounding!

It was only recently that I played Endure (I had Activision's Grand Prix for my racing 2600 fix when I was, um... 6), but those Apple games he wrote, particularly Epoch, I enjoyed to the extreme. For the longest time I thought "Epoch" was just about the coolest name for a game ever. Heh.

Thanks for helping solve the mystery! This is good news, there are many fans of his work in the Apple II community that will be glad to know he's still alive and kicking.

Edited by Evil Plant

• 9 years later...

I thought some might appreciate this fascinating anecdote from John Romero about Larry Miller. Was just googling around to find info on some of the games he wrote. Almost nothing, however, even on Youtube.

KansasFest 2012 - John Romero Q&A

(jump to 44:00)

Check out the whole thing, plus his keynote presentation. I learned A LOT about the Apple II and gaming history in general.

• 5 years later...

I visited Larry Miller in Connecticut in 2018 and he came to visit me in January 2019 before the pandemic. He has been working with a company developing portable ultrasound machine called Butterfly. He said that that company was moving to Boston in July sometime. I will continue to post . 

• 2 months later...