IGNORED

NES High Score Club Week #9 - Kung Fu (Game B)

vdub_bobby

Dracula's dead, baby - now let's go rescue Sylvia from Mr. X in Kung Fu!

Post a score and let's get this thing rolling! We are playing Game B this week.

Please post any tips you may have - best tip gets 1 bonus point!

Also, if anyone has a link to the manual, please post it. EDIT: LarcenTyler attached it.

Scores achieved after a "Continue" do not count, please - only games played from the beginning are acceptable for competition.

This week's competition ends next Tuesday (Nov 7) morning at approximately 9:00 am PST.

This week's standings:

169,970 LarcenTyler (+10 pts + 1 bonus pt for best tip)

158,870 gdement (+8 pts)

114,110 8th lutz (+6 pts)

100,720 figgler (+4 pts)

34,400 Kami68k (+2 pts)

30,080 vdub_bobby (+1 pt)

28,000 rjchamp3 (+1 pt)

25,380 mojofltr (+1 pt)

Twin Galaxies High Scores

No scores for Game B; follow the link to see high scores for Game A.

Overall standings:

1. rjchamp3 (53 pts)

2. figgler (44 pts)

3. vdub_bobby (33 pts)

4. mojofltr (29 pts)

5. 8th lutz (21 pts)

6. nester (19 pts)

6. LarcenTyler (19 pts)

8. Malc74 (13 pts)

8. MetalSlime23 (13 pts)

10. bust3dstr8 (11 pts)

11. Cybergoth (7 pts)

11. gdement (7 pts)

13. keilbaca (4 pts)

14. MCHufnagel (2 pts)

14. remowilliams (2 pts)

16. BrianC (1 pts)

Tips

Found this online, don't know if it is true or not:

Defeat the Twelfth enemy on each level using a jump kick to gain 5,000 points instead of the regular score for that enemy.

LarcenTyler:

Yeah, the 5,000 points thing works, it's just it has to be a Gripper that you knock out as the twelfth enemy. Also, shaking off an enemy doesn't count as defeating them.

-The knife throwers take two hits to defeat. Sometimes they will run away from you. In this case, it's best to let them chase you and then go after them.

-The Tom Toms (midgets) may sometimes attempt a somersault attack. If they do this, jump up quickly to block them.

-On Floor 2, you'll encounter booby traps. The snakes that come out of the jars can't be killed, so either hit the jars before they hit the ground, or jump over the snake. Dragons can be killed, but you must do it quickly, since their fire breath can easily kill you even at full strength. As for the bombs (pink balls) make sure you hit them as soon as you see them, since they can cause a bit of damage.

-On Floor 4, you'll encounter poison moths. DON'T attempt to run through them, as they cause a lot of damage. Instead, be patient and hit them with a well timed kick, punch, or jump kick. Some you can jump over, but don't try to run through them as the energy loss they take will be too much for you to take when you fight the boss.

-Here are my strategies for the bosses:

STICK FIGHTER: When you first see him, hit him with a jump-kick, and then wait for him to attack and then pause. When he pauses, get in close and throw a few low punches.

BOOMERANG THROWER: Wait for him to throw a boomerang and then go in close and punch him in the gut while he's waiting for it to return. Sometimes he throws two at once so be careful. When punching him, he'll move back slightly so make sure to move forward to finish him off.

GIANT: He's got a long range for his attacks, so when you see him about to attack, quickly back up and then move into strike him a couple times and then back off before he strikes again. He can knock you out in two or three htis if your energy is full, so don't try anything rash.

BLACK MAGICIAN: Whatever you do, DON'T (I repeat, DON'T) try to kick him. Sweep kicks won't harm him, and high kicks and jump kicks just knock his head off and cause him to vanish and reappear. Instead, punch his fireballs and then get in close and throw a few punches at his gut. When he gets below half his energy, he will disappear and reappear a short distance away from you and throw a fireball at you. You have to be quick to punch this one, as you can't attack right away after he teleports.

MR. X: When you fight Mr. X, you'll have the pleasure of being able to fight him one-on-one, as right before you get to him, all the enemies will back off. That doesn't make him any easier though, since he can do all the same moves you can. I usually hit him with a jump-kick, then try a foot sweep and a few punches to the face. If he's still standing, a high kick should finish him off. This doesn't always work, though, so make sure you mix up your techniques and try everything on him.

rjchamp3

punches are worth 200 kicks 100 punches are better
Edited by vdub_bobby

Yeah, the 5,000 points thing works, it's just it has to be a Gripper that you knock out as the twelfth enemy. Also, shaking off an enemy doesn't count as defeating them.

I know I can do better than this score, it's just I'm not awake yet. Here are my personal tips for the game:

-The knife throwers take two hits to defeat. Sometimes they will run away from you. In this case, it's best to let them chase you and then go after them.

-The Tom Toms (midgets) may sometimes attempt a somersault attack. If they do this, jump up quickly to block them.

-On Floor 2, you'll encounter booby traps. The snakes that come out of the jars can't be killed, so either hit the jars before they hit the ground, or jump over the snake. Dragons can be killed, but you must do it quickly, since their fire breath can easily kill you even at full strength. As for the bombs (pink balls) make sure you hit them as soon as you see them, since they can cause a bit of damage.

-On Floor 4, you'll encounter poison moths. DON'T attempt to run through them, as they cause a lot of damage. Instead, be patient and hit them with a well timed kick, punch, or jump kick. Some you can jump over, but don't try to run through them as the energy loss they take will be too much for you to take when you fight the boss.

-Here are my strategies for the bosses:

STICK FIGHTER: When you first see him, hit him with a jump-kick, and then wait for him to attack and then pause. When he pauses, get in close and throw a few low punches.

BOOMERANG THROWER: Wait for him to throw a boomerang and then go in close and punch him in the gut while he's waiting for it to return. Sometimes he throws two at once so be careful. When punching him, he'll move back slightly so make sure to move forward to finish him off.

GIANT: He's got a long range for his attacks, so when you see him about to attack, quickly back up and then move into strike him a couple times and then back off before he strikes again. He can knock you out in two or three htis if your energy is full, so don't try anything rash.

BLACK MAGICIAN: Whatever you do, DON'T (I repeat, DON'T) try to kick him. Sweep kicks won't harm him, and high kicks and jump kicks just knock his head off and cause him to vanish and reappear. Instead, punch his fireballs and then get in close and throw a few punches at his gut. When he gets below half his energy, he will disappear and reappear a short distance away from you and throw a fireball at you. You have to be quick to punch this one, as you can't attack right away after he teleports.

MR. X: When you fight Mr. X, you'll have the pleasure of being able to fight him one-on-one, as right before you get to him, all the enemies will back off. That doesn't make him any easier though, since he can do all the same moves you can. I usually hit him with a jump-kick, then try a foot sweep and a few punches to the face. If he's still standing, a high kick should finish him off. This doesn't always work, though, so make sure you mix up your techniques and try everything on him.

post-1653-1162399858_thumb.png

Edited by LarcenTyler

Your points are right:

1st place for 1943

1st place for Gun.Smoke plus best tip

7th place for Arkanoid

1st place for Pin-Bot

1st place for Elevator Action plus best tip

Didn't participate in TMNT2

Didn't participate in Excite Bike

1st place in Castlevania

Equals 53 points. :)

Edited by vdub_bobby

Your points are right:

1st place for 1943

1st place for Gun.Smoke plus best tip

7th place for Arkanoid

1st place for Pin-Bot

1st place for Elevator Action plus best tip

Didn't participate in TMNT2

Didn't participate in Excite Bike

1st place in Castlevania

Equals 53 points. :)

i guess so :twisted:

Apparently there are more enemies coming after you, and while it's not exactly noticeable at first, you will find yourself getting swarmed eventually! No question about that.

And to think this was one of my first NES games that took me forever to master. Now where the hell's my copy of it?

post-1653-1162613818_thumb.png

• 9 years later...
  • 2 years later...