IGNORED

Best Atari Basic games.

javiero

Hy guys, good mornig to all of you. Now please, let's make a list of the cream of the cream of Atari Basic games, pure Atari Basic, not turbo, not XL, not XE, pure Atari Basic. My vote goes to Riscky Rescue... why mr. Casten stop sending games to Antic is a mistery even today...

Well I haven't played many Basic games, I could never get them to work in the old days and have only typed in a few and got them to work a few years ago.

My vote would be the one from Page 6 magazine called something like Train Crazy, where you're like a duck stood on a train roof jumping over things going past while collecting diamonds.

Edited by Ross PK

Hy guys, good mornig to all of you. Now please, let's make a list of the cream of the cream of Atari Basic games, pure Atari Basic, not turbo, not XL, not XE, pure Atari Basic. My vote goes to Riscky Rescue... why mr. Casten stop sending games to Antic is a mistery even today...

As I understand it.most of J.D.Casten's games were written while he was in high school.

His first game was published when he was 17 years old!

I saw a reference to him in a "What Ever Happened To..." post somewhere,but don't remember the details.

I guess he just matured and moved on to other things. (job,family,etc.)

Hey, was that a type-in from COMPUTE! magazine? I think it was actually "Picking Blueberries". There were 2 mazes onscreen & you had to plant seeds & they'd grow (into the CTRL T circle character) & ripen & you had to pick them. You could do 2-players too, each in their own maze.

I typed it in, but didnt keep it. I find myself thinking about it now & then. I typed in tons of programs/games from ANTIC, COMPUTE, & a few from ANALOG.

Edited by RJ

Hey, was that a type-in from COMPUTE! magazine? I think it was actually "Picking Blueberries". There were 2 mazes onscreen & you had to plant seeds & they'd grow (into the CTRL T circle character) & ripen & you had to pick them. You could do 2-players too, each in their own maze.

I typed it in, but didnt keep it. I find myself thinking about it now & then. I typed in tons of programs/games from ANTIC, COMPUTE, & a few from ANALOG.

No it was from one of the UK mags as a type in. You had to dig holes and the strawberries would fall in you then had to hit them on the head

As I recall, there were quite a few top quality basic games and turbo basic games that were game of the month on disks of the month only, too long to be type in programs. I specifically remember one game, I'll have to look for it though, as I forget the name, but it was an adventure game that took place in caverns and there was a boss monster to fight and it had digitized sound and/or voice synthesis.

I used to get a lot of PD/shareware disks from an outfit in Oklahoma, they used to send me regualr updates to their catalog and had many basic games that I never saw in magazines or disks of the month too. I think B&C computervisions still has disks full of PD software for sale today. A lot of stuff that I don't think is online anywhere as it all gets overlooked in favor of commercial stuff.

Edited by Gunstar

I remember typing in basic programs from Antic on my 600XL. I didn't even have a tape drive or disk drive to save all that typing. And the ATASCII codes within strings were a real pain. So I made sure I thoroughly enjoyed every game before shutting off the puter. I recall a game called Box In that I enjoyed.

I liked my basic game the best :)

But... you forgot the atr, please post it. I'm trying to teach my son to program, so i've been using the A8 and the old magazine programs, we've designed a couple of things, very basic, so i hope ge got his creative bits spoiled by this, sometimes great, basic games.

It attached - though unfort there is a bug which I cannot fix :( -

The autorun.sys used to load to CHR sets into memory and the basic file would alternate between them to give them motion. Either I cant find my final version or something went whacky - it doesnt work :( - I have to manually run the program to load 1 chr set in and then run the game.

It only works in 800 mode. my friend who wrote the few ASM routines around the chr set flipping did something XL/XE OS doesnt like..................

Its a 32K basic program so hopefully you can learn something from it - maybe not :)

The Break key is disabled but you can hit Reset and load in the files manually.

I loved the Ultima series so I wrote a game in basic as best I could 20 years ago :)

zuled.zip

• Thanks 1

The autorun.sys used to load to CHR sets into memory and the basic file would alternate between them to give them motion. Either I cant find my final version or something went whacky - it doesnt work :( - I have to manually run the program to load 1 chr set in and then run the game.

It only works in 800 mode. my friend who wrote the few ASM routines around the chr set flipping did something XL/XE OS doesnt like..................

Its a 32K basic program so hopefully you can learn something from it - maybe not :)

I loved the Ultima series so I wrote a game in basic as best I could 20 years ago :)

Thank you very much, the fans of Abasic games cheers you effort....

Thank you very much, the fans of Abasic games cheers you effort....

If they can fix it let me know :)

Well, I simply don't know what to do. How can I run your game?

F.

As I recall, there were quite a few top quality basic games and turbo basic games that were game of the month on disks of the month only, too long to be type in programs. I specifically remember one game, I'll have to look for it though, as I forget the name, but it was an adventure game that took place in caverns and there was a boss monster to fight and it had digitized sound and/or voice synthesis.

Was that Creepy Caverns by Tony Ramos? I know I loved that game. It was a pain to type in but was worth it in the end.

I recall a game called Box In that I enjoyed.

Ahhh...another J.D. Casten game. Box-In

You need to clarify here - there are lots of games that require basic but has assembly in them - Mars Tesoro is one as it the original Temple of Apshai releases - do those count here?

IIRC all of J.D. Casten games had some sort of assembly routine. He used it most of the time to quickly redefine the character set.

Back to the original question...

I don't know if I have a favorite but Biffdrop definitely ranks high.

Was that Creepy Caverns by Tony Ramos? I know I loved that game. It was a pain to type in but was worth it in the end.

I recall a game called Box In that I enjoyed.

Ahhh...another J.D. Casten game. Box-In

You need to clarify here - there are lots of games that require basic but has assembly in them - Mars Tesoro is one as it the original Temple of Apshai releases - do those count here?

IIRC all of J.D. Casten games had some sort of assembly routine. He used it most of the time to quickly redefine the character set.

Back to the original question...

I don't know if I have a favorite but Biffdrop definitely ranks high.

yes, creepy caverns looks like the one I'm talking about.

Well, I simply don't know what to do. How can I run your game?

F.

Ok it seems I have some missing items!

All from Basic

You need to load the file LOAD2.FNT

on line 20 it sets up to load 2 font files - FOR and FOR2.FNT, for some reason FOR is not on the disk - I must be missing one of the font files that I need to dig for.

Change FOR to FOR2.FNT and run

it will error on LINE 90 for some reason - I dont know why - been a long time

You can now run one of the following:

DEMO (gives some instructions)

FOREST (the game itself)

You should be able to see/do everything - just the font doesnt change.

It only runs under OS-B