IGNORED

Turbo / Atari 2600

xybot67

I think this may be legitimate, as I was emailed by this individual last week with some details about this particular prototype..

What an amazing development development this will be if it turns out to be true. And by the looks of the video, it is. The gameplay even looks to be pretty much complete!!!

Wow! :o

This seems legit and definitely doable on a 2600. But it also looks a bit unfinished, e.g. the gameplay seems very tough, the bend does never change, no speed indicator there and the background doesn't scroll.

@Al: Do you know if it is played with paddles? It more looks like being joystick controlled.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

I try to get out, but they keep dragging me back in...

Ok here's the skinny on the Turbo prototype.

Yes, it is legit. The game is about 80%-85% complete. All that it is missing is the animated edges of the road, and some other graphical animations (mostly stuff moving on the sides of the road to give the illusion on movement). The reason the game was never completed is that one of the programmers was in a car accident (got hit by a car anyway) and could not finish the game in time to meet Colecos deadline. The game also uses joysticks as the developers begged Coleco to drop the paddle controls (Coleco finally allowed the to do so).

Now he's the part everyone is interested in. The programmer wants to sell it, and has asked me for help in doing so. So my task is to gather a list of people who might be interested in this prototype and to conduct a private sale of sorts. The programmer also has the mock up cartridge case for the game (a little ratty looking, but still nice). I assume he is going to toss this in, but I'm not sure.

If anyone is interested in buying the prototype, shoot me a PM and I'll add your name to the list. The names of the people on the list, as well as the winner will be kept private unless they want to make themselves public. The programmer asks that the winner supply him with a copy of the rom, and would like the game distributed although he himself will not do so (it's the winners choice). Keep in mind that the programmer knows what the game is worth, so please don't waste his time with lowball offers (sorry, no Turbo for $200).

Tempest

That's disappointing, quite honestly. Certainly it's his right to try to maximize his profit, so I'm not going to criticize him. If I were in the same position who knows what I would do. But it would have been nice if he was willing to donate the ROM to the public domain....

That's disappointing, quite honestly. Certainly it's his right to try to maximize his profit, so I'm not going to criticize him. If I were in the same position who knows what I would do. But it would have been nice if he was willing to donate the ROM to the public domain....

Yes, it would be nice, but sadly I'm not holding my breath. :(

..Al

he probibaly knows next to nothing about atari until now.

Uhh... He was a 2600 programmer for several games. I'd guess that he knows more about Atari than you.

Trust me, he's not in this to make obscene amounts of money. He really would like to share the game with the community, but he's going to leave that decision up to the buyer. He will however strongly request that the buyer share the rom, although he won't force them to do so.

I'm sure the rom will get released, have faith.

Tempest

It's not quite as impressive as I hoped it would be. I don't see the same city and score effect as the screenshot that Thomas worked so hard to accomplish.

Well we should probably cut the programmers some slack since this was the groups first 2600 game. Also, Coleco put some really tight and unrealistic time tables on the team, so they really didn't have as much time to as they would have liked to create the game.

tempest

Yes, it would be nice, but sadly I'm not holding my breath. :(

..Al

Tsk tsk. Aren't we the negative nelly... :)

Tempest