IGNORED

Turbo / Atari 2600

xybot67

Uhh... Keep in mind that the source code would only be for games he was involved in. So it most likely has code for the Xonox games he did and the Coleco demos. No new undiscovered games I'm afraid.

Source code is always interesting to look at. Do you know exactly which Xonox games he was involved in?

Uhh... Keep in mind that the source code would only be for games he was involved in. So it most likely has code for the Xonox games he did and the Coleco demos. No new undiscovered games I'm afraid.

Source code is always interesting to look at. Do you know exactly which Xonox games he was involved in?

Motocross Racer, Sir Lancelot, and Tomarc the Barbarian (he still called it Thundarr)

Tempest

(he still called it Thundarr)

Tempest

That is so cool :)

They should have went with that name.

He thinks Xonox lost the license when the game didn't turn out to be so hot. In his defense, he said he was very rushed to get the game out and Xonox didn't care about the quality.

Tempest

He has two unfinished Colecovision protos (one is actually just a demo), and some source code on some Apple II disks. He's going to send the disks to me so I can try and get the code off them.

Source code! :lust:

Wild Western! :lust:

Rocky?

Frenzy?

Pepper II?

Cosmic Avenger?

Who knows maybe Tarzan?

8)

Colecovision! :ponder:

Oops.

Sorry.

8)

How's the auction going? I didn't join in because I figured it was way out of my league. So please don't tell me it went for under say $300, because if it did I might have to kill myself..... :)

Don't worry, not even close. :)

The auction is over, and the winner has been notified. Beyond that I'm sworn to secrecy until I ask the winner what I can and can't say.

Tempest

he probibaly knows next to nothing about atari until now.

Uhh... He was a 2600 programmer for several games. I'd guess that he knows more about Atari than you.

Tempest

yeah i defiatly missed all that my bad, yeah he prolly knows tons about it since the owner is 1 of the developers :P

Matt -

Send the disks on over to me - I have just about every major data recovery tool and all the needed h/w and if I can't do it, then I know who can, so send them on over to me. If I could recover Cloak & Dagger off of a floppy disk that was bent down the center into the shape of an "L" I am sure I could recover the data off of those disks of.

Curt

Does this guy have anything else of intrest?

He has two unfinished Colecovision protos (one is actually just a demo), and some source code on some Apple II disks. He's going to send the disks to me so I can try and get the code off them. Unfortunately he thinks they may be damaged from age...

Tempest

Good luck.

Generally 5.25" floppy disks hold data well if they were protected from hostile climates. I have a few C64 floppy disks from 1985 that still worked just fine. 3.5" HD disks OTOH, half of them has failed in the last few years before CD burners were cheap enough to replace floppy disks. I think by now most of the remaining surviving 3.5" floppy disks I have has gone bad.

His description of the disks didn't sound promising. It sounds like the plastic holders he had them in had started to break down an 'ooze'. Melted plastic oils will kill any disks... Still, it's worth a shot.

Tempest

Not necessarily. You can open up the disk's casing, remove the media, and wash it. You'll need a new donor casing. I spilled Coke on a disk before, and it dried into a sticky mess. It worked as good as new after cleaning. I sealed the new casing with duct tape, and so it was a tight fit in the drive but it worked. I used mild soap and warm water.

Generally 5.25" floppy disks hold data well if they were protected from hostile climates. I have a few C64 floppy disks from 1985 that still worked just fine. 3.5" HD disks OTOH, half of them has failed in the last few years before CD burners were cheap enough to replace floppy disks. I think by now most of the remaining surviving 3.5" floppy disks I have has gone bad.

Just the other day I found my 25 year old TRS-80 disks. I dug out my Catweasel box and (once I found a good drive) slurped up 70 or so disks in a couple of hours. Many of the disks read with no problems, a few required multiple retries, and a few less had unrecoverably bad sectors, which were probably bad 25 years ago too.

Fortunately, sanity prevailed back then and I hadn't formatted any of the disks for 43 tracks, because the drive I was reading them with stopped at 42. I checked the allocation bitmaps to make sure that every single one of those disks was 42 tracks or less.

Of course that was back when floppy disks cost like five bucks each, so they took their time and made them right. But some years before CD-R was dirt cheap, 3.5" HD disks had become so much crap that I had a pain of a time trying to install Slackware via floppy. Just getting a boot disk working was a lot of trouble.

some years before CD-R was dirt cheap, 3.5" HD disks had become so much crap that I had a pain of a time trying to install Slackware via floppy. Just getting a boot disk working was a lot of trouble.

3.5" HD disks do suck. i have found that sometimes one drive will read and write fine and another drive will read and write fine but they will not read eachothers writes or only one will read the others write. stupid raid drivers! anyway,

I think the game looks cool to play if its finnished, it looked hard without the road markers, and no sence of speed. but the graphix are nice so far.

i hope it gets released.

3.5" HD disks do suck. i have found that sometimes one drive will read and write fine and another drive will read and write fine but they will not read eachothers writes or only one will read the others write. stupid raid drivers! anyway,

In the early days they were pretty good, but then people started releasing both drives and media that were total garbage.

I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone advertise a 3.5" drive with "DSP technology". If a drive were to record the data as an analog signal in multiple passes, moving the head a fraction of a track each time, it should be fairly easy to analyze the different signals and extract data that would otherwise be unreadable.

I just scanned through this...Tomarc was a rush job!? It certainly didn't break any records for the best VCS game, but it was good enough to make me flip the cartridge over after a few rounds of Motocross Racer.

If that's rush for this programmer, and Turbo's shcedule was a little more relaxed, then Turbo's got to be good. It was good in the arcade, and the videos looked like they'd be a fun game when it was complete.

I hope the programmer wasn't permanently injured or anything in the car wreck, though.

I hope the programmer wasn't permanently injured or anything in the car wreck, though.

The programmer who was in the car accident is not the one with the prototype. There were two programmers. I'll have to ask wht happened to the other guy.

Would be awesome if this programmer would finish his game!!!! Like the original programmer of Cloak and Dagger is doing with his game. But I'm guessing since he just auctioned it off that he has no interest in doing so.....

Actually, he DOES want to finish it, but he said he couldn't possibly get to it until this summer at the earliest. Stay tuned for more info.

Tempest