IGNORED

Bit of advise for everyone

bcprs1

Don't leave your games in cardboard boxes in the basement. I recently moved and put all my games down in the basement for the time being. Most of the boxes I put up on folder tables, but I ran out of space/time and put the rest on the floor. Most of the games I had in plastic boxes, but a few I had in cardboard. Wouldn't you guess, but I had a leak in the basement in morning and it flooded the basement with an inch of water. Needless to say, I just ruined 2 boxes of games (about 40 carts). Luckily it wasn't anything rare, but I sure learned my lesson.

ps - Anyone have a need for some wet 2600 carts???

Basements are usually more humid than above ground floors too. Storing your carts there will likely accelerate growth of Actiplaque. Any cardboard sitting on the floor will also slowly soak up moisture through the concrete naturally. Also, make sure nothing is sitting under the plumbing because if a pipe ever leaks just a bit....

I don't have a 2600 but I've been moving all my game/computer stuff to plastic storage boxes. It gets expensive but it's worth it.

I am using some CD and DVD containers and they work great for carts and disks. I keep boxes and directions in larger plastic file boxes since I don't use them often.

For the computers that aren't boxed I put them in those large Zip lock storage bags and place a moisture absorbant pack in each bag.

I don't have a 2600 but I've been moving all my game/computer stuff to plastic storage boxes. It gets expensive but it's worth it.

You mean something like this? :ponder:

post-4102-1162949428_thumb.jpg

Looks neat. Just remember that if you have something like that in a basement and it floods the bottom drawers may fill with water. I try to keep stuff at least 1 shelf up and use the bottom shelf for stuff that's easier to replace.

One nice think about the big Zip Lock storage bags (the ones for clothes and such) is that they are large enough to even hold a lot of the boxed computers/games which also keeps them dust free.

One other thing I've done with my disk software is transfered the contents to 3.5" disks (TRS-80 and Apple) and place all the disks in zip lock sandwich bags. I'd still like to run a program on the disks that reads and rewrites data on the disks to refresh the data.

Don't leave your games in cardboard boxes in the basement. I recently moved and put all my games down in the basement for the time being. Most of the boxes I put up on folder tables, but I ran out of space/time and put the rest on the floor. Most of the games I had in plastic boxes, but a few I had in cardboard. Wouldn't you guess, but I had a leak in the basement in morning and it flooded the basement with an inch of water. Needless to say, I just ruined 2 boxes of games (about 40 carts). Luckily it wasn't anything rare, but I sure learned my lesson.

ps - Anyone have a need for some wet 2600 carts???

That would be interesting... I bet they still work.

That's not much of a problem in Texas. Very few houses in Texas have basements. I think it's mostly because the ground isn't right for it (especially around Austin/San Antonio where you hit rock a few inches down), but also in the few areas where the ground is right for a basement, there's nobody who knows how to make one.

Instead, if you live in the wrong area, it's the ground floor that floods.

Oh, that REALLY sucks! It makes me cringe thinking about that happening to me! I used to work with CAP and the Red Cross here in my city and one year there was a massive flood. They still call it the "Floods of 2002". We went house to house and I saw many people who had stored their precious games in the basement and they were gone. I really didn't appreciate how awful that was until I started collecting my own games.

You mean something like this? :ponder:

post-4102-1162949428_thumb.jpg

Impressive. :cool:

That's one hell of a pic. Thanks for sharing Breakpack. I love looking at stuff like this, and especially other peoples collections. :)

<blush>

I've been doing a bit of fall cleaning around my room.I hope to take more pics soon. :D