IGNORED

Question - FB2 Portable?

This has been what I've been waiting for, but it has to have absolutely 100% 2600 compatibility this time, illegal opcodes, cosmic ark stars, kool-aid main, Galaxian, Supercharger, etc....

I'm not so concerned about odd bankswitching methods but I wouldn't bitch if they did included them also. Supercharger is asking a little much though as some of the SC games are not even possible to get to run in the way you ask. I'll just be happy with the specs Curt has layed out.

They are possible. They run on the Cuttle Cart 2 and they have run on prototype Chimeras.

I would love to see some concet art as to what this thing may end up looking like. I'm really excited about this one! I read somewhere where people were hoping the FB3 would have little carts that had about 5-10 games on each. Imagine that for the FB2portable....

Actually I love the idea that you can download pretty much any game to it...

But imagine little carts to go with it! :)

Either way... I'm happy and I pray this thing comes to the shelves of a local store.

How about reissue them with cart slot and use mini version of 2600 cart? With modern technology, it should be very easy to make standard 2600 cart the size of micro SD card or even smaller and still work.

It's not quite that easy. To build something the size of an SD card, you need some serious electronics manufacturing capabilities. You also need volume. Both thiings would be hard to come by unless you're a very large company with reasonably deep pockets. (e.g. Nintendo) The classic style circuit boards, however, can be custom manufactured cheap enough for the average person to afford a small run.

I would love to see some concet art as to what this thing may end up looking like.

Curt has a concept design on paper for his vision of what this thing will look like. I suggested an alternate idea to Curt on the phone the other day, and I am working on that idea this weekend. I'm sure the final design will get posted when the time is right.

I would love to see some concept (sic) art as to what this thing may end up looking like.

Curt has a concept design on paper for his vision of what this thing will look like. I suggested an alternate idea to Curt on the phone the other day, and I am working on that idea this weekend. I'm sure the final design will get posted when the time is right.

Looking forward to seeing this, and what kind of retro "Flashback" look the portable may have.

Thinking back to the games - the FB1 had 20, the FB2 had 40+2, so why not have 80+ games for the FB2 Portable? With memory being quite cheap nowadays, all of the Atari-licensed properties could be included with it, or at least have all the VCS games from the Atari 80-in-1 compilation plus a few (or more ;) ) others. Games could still be downloaded via the USB connector, but it would be nice to have a decent collection of Atari titles to start off with.

oooohhhhh ahhhhhh

You forgot to use a coat hanger to hold it all together. :lol:

Actually, it's not too bad of a shell. A little too plain, I think, but otherwise nice. I'm guessing the final product will look more like Ben Heckendorn's work, though. Probably with a woodgrain grill added on. I just hope that Curt goes for a recessed, spring-loaded thumbstick rather than a directional pad. :ponder:

Spring loaded thumb stick, eh. Are you talking about something like the PSP nub?

Oh, hell no. No, I'm referring to the small joysticks on a ball. The ball rotates only on one axis. The part where the joystick is mounted rotates inside the ball on the other axis. In that way, the stick moves along both axes.

This design is often used on portable joysticks because it's simple to build, has a good feel, and can be made very small. It's usually recessed a bit into the unit so that the stick doesn't protrude much.

This looks about right here:

RCC-789-01%20-%2002%20copy.jpg

The difference is that the ball is probably locked in place for a remote control car.

Here's a controller that works exactly as I'm describing, except that the aesthetics are different:

w036b.jpg

A digital joystick wouldn't need to be quite as sophisticated as the unit above.

Does that clarify a bit?

Spring loaded thumb stick, eh. Are you talking about something like the PSP nub?

Oh, hell no. No, I'm referring to the small joysticks on a ball. The ball rotates only on one axis. The part where the joystick is mounted rotates inside the ball on the other axis. In that way, the stick moves along both axes.

This design is often used on portable joysticks because it's simple to build, has a good feel, and can be made very small. It's usually recessed a bit into the unit so that the stick doesn't protrude much.

This looks about right here:

RCC-789-01%20-%2002%20copy.jpg

The difference is that the ball is probably locked in place for a remote control car.

Here's a controller that works exactly as I'm describing, except that the aesthetics are different:

w036b.jpg

A digital joystick wouldn't need to be quite as sophisticated as the unit above.

Does that clarify a bit?

I don't think something like that would be very good for digital control. Too much throw in the stick. A regular joystick, but just smaller than the original 2600 stick would work better. I can imagine a design where you would actually hold the system somewhat like a regular 2600 joystick rather than like an modern controller or handheld. That might work well, though I think I would personally rather just have a dpad and hold the system like other handhelds. If you wanted to go the really deluxe route, they could look into putting a clicky thumbstick in it like the ones SNK used in the Neo Geo Pocket and Neo Geo CD controller; those are incredibly wonderful sticks with absolutely perfect control, I'd like to have controllers for all my systems that clicky sticks instead of dpads or digital joysticks. I even like them better than arcade joysticks.

...word is bondage...

I don't think something like that would be very good for digital control. Too much throw in the stick.

It worked for the 2600 (CX-10s) and the Odyssey^2. :ponder:

My understanding is that the click-stick design was a cost saving maneuver. Even on digital sticks, extra throw usually makes the stick feel better, not worse.

A regular joystick, but just smaller than the original 2600 stick would work better. I can imagine a design where you would actually hold the system somewhat like a regular 2600 joystick rather than like an modern controller or handheld.

You're not suggesting having a long stick protruding from the unit, are you? Besides the juvenile jokes it would garner (and you thought Wii was bad! :lol:), it would be extremely impractical for the stated goal of a portable system. Part of what made the Gameboy so successful was its ability to easily slide into your pocket. This made it available to play just about anywhere, and at any time.

If you wanted to go the really deluxe route, they could look into putting a clicky thumbstick in it like the ones SNK used in the Neo Geo Pocket and Neo Geo CD controller; those are incredibly wonderful sticks with absolutely perfect control, I'd like to have controllers for all my systems that clicky sticks instead of dpads or digital joysticks. I even like them better than arcade joysticks.

How do those differ from my suggestion? They appear to have a lot of throw as well, and are recessed precisely like I described. The only real difference I see is the hat on top of the stick. That's not really a unique feature, though. :)

...word is bondage...

Just an FYI. This forum has the ability to handle signatures. You can change your sig in your profile so you don't need to type that every time. ;)

Have a question for everyone -

Would everyone be happy if there were a FB2 Portable handheld with 2.5" TFT and a USB connection to a PC to d/l games into it and perhaps push the FB3 back as a later release?

Holy Cow! I've got to pay better attention to the forums. I bought 2 FB2's and I can see myself buying at least 4-5 of a portable for gifting purposes.

Could the FB2 Portable also be ordered via AtariAge or some ebay shop? The great thing is that NTSC/PAL differencies don't matter.

So I would like to get some for Xmas. Not for me :roll: but for the kids of course. :-D

--

Karri

living in PAL country. Or actually we lose the analog PAL-signal in the whole country in a few months. So I don't get exited about video out anymore as all broadcast stations have to switch to digital transmissions in 2007.

I just could not help making a mockup drawing of what it could look like.

post-2099-1163253832_thumb.png

The joypad would be made from one thick well formed plastic pad. You could use either joypad as direction or fire button. In a two player mode both joypads work. This idea of pressing the joypad for fire works nicely on n-gage.

--

Just my humble input that can be shot down at will,

Karri