IGNORED

Question - FB2 Portable?

[...] (and I know many want to know what pins are the stereo outputs on the FB2)[...]

Curt

You can count me in on that. An hour of staring at that circuit board under a magnifier was about all I could handle. For all I knew I was looking in a dark room for a black cat that wasn't there.

Again, waiting patiently.

How come people are saying the button is on the wrong side? Looks like every other controller I've ever used with a d-pad on it. Is it because you use your right hand on a 2600 joystick? I don't see how that would apply to completely different controllers with a d-pad. Or are a few of you left handed and don't like the normal way?

Anyways, it looks great and I'm looking forward to it. :)

One question though that I don't think has been asked, will it have a built in rechargeable battery and ship with a charger like most modern handhelds do?

Edited by Atariboy

Guest moonshot22

This is coolest thing since the Atari's original release! :lust:

Good to hear there will be an A/V output and 2mb of flash is perfect!

Curt, have you have been tweeking the chip for compatability to play such games as Pitfall II?

Does the architecture allow for memory allocation to play ram+ games? If so, this will open up exciting possibilities for homebrewers!

Will the made for FB2 games such as Adventure II, and Yars Return be released with the portable?

Is there some way to control the volume output?

Edited by moonshot22

Would also be nice if it has a DC in (power) so don't have to use batteries when using at home. Could reuse the same transformer as the one for the flashback 2.

Also was wondering how easy it will be to see the screen when two people are using, and whether the unit gets jostled around too much to view the built-in screen when both controllers are attached.

I'm so excited about the AV out! Definitely getting one to use at home! (want to play fishing derby and indy500 with my family, and indiana jones on my own! :) )

Edited by Fort Apocalypse

Curt, have you have been tweeking the chip for compatability to play such games as Pitfall II?

I doubt that Pitfall II will ever work. The game had a coprocessor chip that did all the calculations for sound and graphics. Without that chip, the game won't work. Since supporting the chip would add significant cost to the unit, I wouldn't count on seeing support for Pitfall II.

I think Curt mentioned early on that there won't be a rechargeable battery to keep costs down. I then figured that there could be an aftermarket or homebrew rechargeable battery that could replace it. It's been done with the gameboy, so too easy.

I can't wait to get mine!

Nathan

How come people are saying the button is on the wrong side? Looks like every other controller I've ever used with a d-pad on it. Is it because you use your right hand on a 2600 joystick? I don't see how that would apply to completely different controllers with a d-pad. Or are a few of you left handed and don't like the normal way?

Using your right hand for the fire button is more important when you have more than one button. With just one button, your left thumb is more than adequate, and gives you greater control over movement by using your right thumb on the D-pad.

Using your right hand for the fire button is more important when you have more than one button. With just one button, your left thumb is more than adequate, and gives you greater control over movement by using your right thumb on the D-pad.

Good piont. I must agree with you on that. I problably would'nt have figured until I were actualy playing with my very single-button trigger finger.

That's a pretty standard setup that just about all companies use, right from the original Gameboy's and up, left dpad, right buttons.

Unit will run on 3 AAA batteries with 15hr run-time.

Curt

Anyways, it looks great and I'm looking forward to it. :)

One question though that I don't think has been asked, will it have a built in rechargeable battery and ship with a charger like most modern handhelds do?

Yes, there is a volume knob to control the internal speaker and AV audio output (for TV or headphones)

Pitfall II, no sorry, it does not work.

Can't really comment on included games right now.

Curt

This is coolest thing since the Atari's original release! :lust:

Good to hear there will be an A/V output and 2mb of flash is perfect!

Does the architecture allow for memory allocation to play ram+ games? If so, this will open up exciting possibilities for homebrewers!

Will the made for FB2 games such as Adventure II, and Yars Return be released with the portable?

Is there some way to control the volume output?

the fire button is on the wrong side :o

Looks like every other d-pad controller set up out there (other than the ones that allow you to flip the console upside down like the Lynx)

Can't really comment on included games right now.

Curt

Maybe we'll finally get fixed versions of Asteroids Deluxe and Space Duel :cool:

Edited by Lord Helmet

15hrs with the backlight on??

This tread is amazing! When exactly could we see this on the store shelves? I know you said that you couldn't discuss what games will be available for it, and that is ok, but can you say roughly how many will be available? I know it was discussed earlier in the tread, but what systems will this new flashback support? And fianlly Curt, from all of us Atari fans out there, a giant THANK YOU!! This is something we've been waiting for years to purchase.

There will be an AV out on the NTSC units

Does this mean that all units have a NTSC chip inside and use NTSC roms, right? The AV-OUT would be useful for two-players games or when using paddles. I hope that the connector could be easily installed on the european units (the lines should be there, I think) so it can be connected by using a NTSC to PAL adapter or a multistandard TV.

I like the case design. I can't wait to buy one! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That's a pretty standard setup that just about all companies use, right from the original Gameboy's and up, left dpad, right buttons.

Curt

More battery life than the Lynx and the TG Express. I'm not going to complain about that! :)

Exactly. 2600 games require more precise movement control than button-mashers. I've found when I try to use left-handed-D-pads for 2600 games (the Activition Anthologies, for example), it's like trying to control the game with my elbow or something. I've even tried playing cross-handed, but that doesn't work. 26 years of muscle memory is difficult to overcome.

I understand. The product has to be made to appeal to the masses. Greatest common denominator and all that. :|

A flippable Lynx-like setup sure would have been nice, though.

I'm so excited. This is going to be so awesome! :)

So does that mean there will not be DC power in? If you had it, a lot of folks on car trips could use the cigarette lighters and adapters. That way, it could dual marketed as home console. Having batteries only at least in a TV games unit is my biggest pet peeve (which is why I only have one of the Jakks units). I'm seriously anal-retentive when it comes to removing batteries to avoid corrosion since I had most of my stuff as a kid go bad because I didn't remove the batteries. I know it might be too late for DC in, and I understand this is a portable unit and not meant to be another home console, but still, if possible- I think it would be a huge gain, even if you had to send off to Atari to get the transformer.

Curt

okay, here are some shots of the first article sample unit...

Curt

Curt, great job!!

This is sooo cool :lust:

Can´t wait until I can buy one, or maybe better two :)

I'm definitely getting two for networking experiments. I love this stuff!

The FB2P looks great! I hope the final product has the orange ring around the d-pad on either side it's on.

Nathan

I'm definitely getting two for networking experiments. I love this stuff!

Networking? How? The second joystick connector could perhaps be used for input but how would you do the output from the FB2? Can some pin in the joystick port be configured as an output?

--

Karri