IGNORED

Question - FB2 Portable?

I'm very glad I nagged you into sharing a little sneak-peak.

I am definitely impressed with that case, its very sleek, yet you've managed to keep the retro feel.

If this hits the shelves I will definitely be scouring for them :)

I think realistically having the USB port is the way to go now, it makes sense with the FB2 that you had a pinout for the cart point made manageable, but the ability to upload .bin files to this device takes the cake.

Since I recall you mentioning the AA batteries (I would have been so flustered if this had some sort of rechargable, thats what NiMH is for!) this really is I think what everyone (lol mostly everyone) is looking for in regards to a modern (and long overdue VCS handheld)

I gotta say, the FB portable looks freakin awesome. I have to ask though, does it share the same '2600 on a chip' architecture as the FB2 or is it an emulator like the original FB was? The only reason I ask is because of the usb connectivity and the external joystick port option (great choice by the way). Wouldn't this require a more sophisticated processor?

By the way, is that external joystick option for player 2 ONLY or can you opt to use an external joystick for 1 player games too (for that authentic atari play recreation)?

Edited by policelimit

so is it good that we are seeing a spy shot?

this thing had better make it to the stores by Christmas :D

I hope it makes it here by July/August. Handhelds were made for summer.

Will it still have the NTSC TV output that was mentioned before?

SECAM only. :P

Nooooooo! That was a cruel joke, wgungfu :)

I hope the joystick port can be configured as port one so you can use paddles with it. Paddles do use port one, don't they ?

The micro connector is a 20 pin port bringing out the lines for both player 1 and player 2. The port will use a dongle (either by 3rd party or you will be able to build yourself - the part# of the connector will be made available online and in the manual for those looking to make a dongle.)

The port will support joysticks, 2 sets of 2 paddles, trakballs and also keyboard controllers - something that FB2 didn't support, so games like Star Raiders and all of the educational games (and Basic programming) will also work with the unit as well.

Curt

so is it good that we are seeing a spy shot?

this thing had better make it to the stores by Christmas :D

I hope it makes it here by July/August. Handhelds were made for summer.

Will it still have the NTSC TV output that was mentioned before?

SECAM only. :P

Nooooooo! That was a cruel joke, wgungfu :)

I hope the joystick port can be configured as port one so you can use paddles with it. Paddles do use port one, don't they ?

Woo, great news =D

But, why is there a game on the screen, when the power switch is clearly in the "off" position? ;) Hopefully that's just a typo, as I've never seen a device with a backwards power switch before.

Also, I really do hope this thing comes out, as I can't find anyone that sells Flashback 2s around here anymore =/

Edited by Asaki

Just a rendering and a reuse of the graphic for the slider switch, a game was put on the screen for effect, it was all part of the design and presentation stages of the project back in November.

Curt

Woo, great news =D

But, why is there a game on the screen, when the power switch is clearly in the "off" position? ;) Hopefully that's just a typo, as I've never seen a device with a backwards power switch before.

Also, I really do hope this thing comes out, as I can't find anyone that sells Flashback 2s around here anymore =/

*looks around to see what could be sold so as many of these can be bought as possible* :D

"You got a purrty mouth boyyy...."

:ponder: I think I'd rather sell stuff that won't haunt me for the rest of my life... like the first season of The Office... :D

I reckon the Flashback Portable is going to outsell the Flashback 2 by a mile. The great thing about a portable is that you can sell it anywhere in the world regardless of mains voltage or TV standards. I hope any future Flashbacks (7800/Lynx) are made as portables. Well, I expect a Lynx portable would be obvious :roll:

BTW, any news about the tv output? I guess it doesn't matter so much with it being a portable, but PAL compatibility would be a bonus.

Edited by MRB

So from what Curt hinted earlier about an atari website roll out (mentioned in the Yar's Return thread) are we to surmise that games on this site will be available for download into the new FB portable? Or maybe that's just wishful thinking? And what games will be included onboard the FB portable? Inquiring minds want to know!

curt

how dare you make these and force me to buy 5-10 for friends. im willing to do it ;)

a few questions?

will it take thumb drive or micro usb?

will the light levels of the blacklit be adjustable?

will we beable to add a cart port also?

can the portable write to the usb?

can then we dump carts to usb?

will development software be included?

manual for development software?

will development software be included?

manual for development software?

I would really want to recommend the development software on a stick approach.

It is so much easier to install all the tools. emulators etc on a stick by someone who knows how to put things together. Then others can just buy an empty USB stick and install the package there. Once you plug the stick into a Windows computer the stick will set up the development environment by itself. And everything gets remove when you pull out the stick.

This is something we can do without help from Curt. But it would be nice to host a toolkit-on-an-USB image at AtariAge. Perhaps Atari could mention a link to AtariAge for people interested in developing new code for the FB2 Portable.

Due to problems with the MIME-stuff I removed the actual link as it made browsers crash. Sorry.

--

Karri

Edited by karri

I have already a Atari Lynx U3 developer on a stick. It could easily be extended with 2600 tools. If you decide to try this out start by typing "source bashrc" to set up the environment when the shell starts.

Actually... If I could get one or two of these FB2 Portables to Finland I would put together a development stick image for FB2 Portable.

sorry ill pass on u3 flash drive stuff. ive removed that chit from several drives.

Edited by werejag

I gotta say, the FB portable looks freakin awesome. I have to ask though, does it share the same '2600 on a chip' architecture as the FB2 or is it an emulator like the original FB was?

The original Flashback was not an emulator. It was an NES-on-a-chip, with games programmed to resemble 2600 and 7800 games.

That site crashed my browser as well. Wasn't to happy, was doing research in several other tabs.

It's actually a 6MB ZIP file that doesn't identify itself as a ZIP file. The result is that it opens as a REALLY LARGE HTML file instead. A little warning would be nice next time. Something along the lines of, "(Right click to download!)" Or even better, set the correct MIME type on your webserver.

The closest thing I could find to a homepage for the package is here:

http://www.cc65.org/mailarchive/2007-03/5657.html

That site crashed my browser as well. Wasn't to happy, was doing research in several other tabs.

It's actually a 6MB ZIP file that doesn't identify itself as a ZIP file. The result is that it opens as a REALLY LARGE HTML file instead. A little warning would be nice next time. Something along the lines of, "(Right click to download!)" Or even better, set the correct MIME type on your webserver.

The closest thing I could find to a homepage for the package is here:

http://www.cc65.org/mailarchive/2007-03/5657.html

Sorry about the file-problem. I should really make a home page for it instead.

I also had a small discussion about the down-side of U3 technology. It requires admin rights to install the U3 drivers the first time you insert the stick. And the drivers remain even after removing the stick. The drivers are also closed-source by the people making U3 stuff.

Anyway, the idea is nice and perhaps there will one day be an open source secure way of doing this.

--

Karri

You know what would be really good? A VCS Game Construction Kit for PC or Mac, similar to S.E.U.C.K (Shoot Em Up Construction Kit) for the C64 or the Activision Game Maker series.

compute_ad.jpg

:cool:

Yeah, it would be really :cool: I think everybody used to dream about writing their own game....until they tried to :roll: