IGNORED

Question - FB2 Portable?

I think the Atari VCS (2600) is considered a 4-bit system. The next generation was the 8-bit systems like the 5200 and then up and up.

Nothing about the Atari 2600 would classify it as a four-bit system, unless you can buy one for $0.50.

The 6507 is an eight-bit processor which uses an 8-bit data bus and 13-bit address bus. There are two eight-bit wide graphical objects and three two-bit objects (the bits select a size). Six display outputs are used to select one of four seven-bit color registers.

Actually, it would be hard to find many parts of the system that could be classified as four bits. The only ones I can think of:

• Four-bit control of audio volumes (pretty typical even for 8-bit systems)
  • Four-bit control of chroma (same as the Atari 8-bits)
  • Four bits to select a color register
  • Four bits of address decoding for TIA reads (six bits for TIA writes).

None of those makes the 2600 a four-bit system.

Unfortunately there was never a definitive name for that platform. All the 2600s are either 2600 or VCS, but there are a million model numbers of Atari 8-bit.
Sure there was. According to Joe Decuir they were called the Atari PCS's (Personal Computer System - The original brochure uses this also), which is how they were abreviated by them as well.
I've always referred to them collectively as the 400/800 series, or simply "A8" for short. I like the "Atari PCS" label but I can see how it could be confusing today, since it could also be applied to Atari's later 16-bit and 32-bit systems (not to mention their PC compatibles, which were actually called "Atari PCs"). Edited by jaybird3rd

I think the Atari VCS (2600) is considered a 4-bit system. The next generation was the 8-bit systems like the 5200 and then up and up.

That's exactly what I was talking about. What kind of nonsense is that? The 2600 used a 6507 processor, which is an 8-bit processor.

Ok, I stand corrected. I was thinking of an article I read and a book I read years ago that based the ratings on the graphics rather than the processors. :ponder:

I wouldn't want to make a portable into a console, but I'm thinking DOCKING STATION!! or maybe a cradle (like a cordless phone or pda dock) and rechargeable batteries. Charge via USB. Line-in to the inputs of a video card via the TV-out? Homebrew stuff for this will abound! USB keyboard add-on? Having that port opens a bunch of possibilities.

/edit

batteries: not included, but there could be a switch for alkaline and rechargeables(bears repeating)

dock: so controllers can be attached and two player games can be used(sounds like a hack)

keyboard/mouse: for the Atari OS! and BASIC even!

nathanallan

Plus with TV Out, essentially for anyone who wants to mount the electronics into a different case, the system could essentially be turned into a console if someone wanted, though why anyone would want to change a portable into a console... well....

Curt

Edited by nathanallan

That's exactly what I was talking about. What kind of nonsense is that? The 2600 used a 6507 processor, which is an 8-bit processor.

Ok, I stand corrected. I was thinking of an article I read and a book I read years ago that based the ratings on the graphics rather than the processors. :ponder:

4-bit color would look like this:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4-bit_color

I always assumed that 8-bit was as low as you get with computing, based on what little I know about binary, but: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4-bit

I suppose it's natural to assume that since 16-bit was the next generation after the NES 8-bits, the generation before must have been 4 ... and before that, 2 bits ... the same sort of logic that calls closely held but independent developers (like Rare under Nintendo) "second party." Cute, somewhat logical, but wrong. The customer is the 2nd party.

And now, an old joke:

Windows 95: 32-bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor, written by a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

And now, an old joke:
Windows 95: 32-bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor, written by a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.
:lolblue: Good one! I haven't heard that one before.

Last night I doodled around thinking about what the FBP would look like, and what I came up with looks suspiciously like a jaguar controller. I don't actually *have* a controller but want one. I figger that the FB3 could be made to look like a Jaguar controller. Good weight to it, good solid feel (from what I read) and plenty of buttons for future expansion. In my concept drawing, I was even able to give it the look of a woody console. I'll scan it in as soon as I can and upload it.

Nathan

It's not a scan, but a digital pic from my fuzzy camera. Just try to imagine the lines are not so fuzzy... of my concept drawing of the FB2 Portable.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/rollmeupa20/ph...8803935320254/0

My scaner isn't hooked up due to lack of desk space :( It looks slightly skewed to the left cause I was holding the paper at a slight angle. It really *is* a straight drawing.

Nathan

Edited by nathanallan

Nice drawing. It reminds me of a retro-radio where the frequency display is replaced by a LCD and the joypad is where the frequency dial usually is.

By leaving a little extra space in the retro-radio cabinet you could fit in a small mono speaker or perhaps even a complete FM-receiver or a TV-tuner - wow!

--

Karri

The buttons were for future expansion and I only had two in the drawing just to stay conservative. They ought to be labeled A and B but they can be different colors, even. But in my mind, they were both red to stay retro and themed. Three sounds good, though! I should have described the b/w drawing, too. the bottom part is the woody finsih, the "joystick" is a raised thumb-knob, not a pad, the buttons on top are POWER, RESET, SELECT, and MENU, respectively. I had those in mind after reading about how the cuddle cart works and what you do to navigate around and select. What you can't see are the ideas for ports, one mini USB for uploading games (as Curt said), a DB9 connector for a second controller OR keypad for Star Raiders, headphone jack, and the AV plug. Of course, this is a dream, but that's what is in MY dream :) If you can imagine it in a docking station, with real controllers hooked up and connected to a TV set... oooohhhhhh.

Whatever comes out, I'l be hapy with it. Thanks for the feedback!

Nathan

/edit Supposed to be in actual size but I think the net shrunk it down.

Edited by nathanallan

• 3 weeks later...

Almost time to see some pics!!! I can't wait!!!! possibly less than a month now! Until then... I'll keep my nose on my PSP... and my spare time building my countertop Atari cab.

I feel the same. I wonder if I anybody finds out if I assemble one FB2 Portable next to all kind of navigation equipment we have for display on our demo-bridge. A radar, a gps, a FB2 Portable, an electronic chart, autopilot, another FB2 Portable and so on. :D

A FB2 Portable on board when waiting for the wind or for the rain to stop? Why not! Of course it needs to be waterproof.

--

Karri

Wow!!!! this is totally awesome... I will likely buy 2 of them.

I just bought my daughter a v-smile pocket & was thinking about this very thing then got links to this thread...

I'd buy this thing even if it retailed for $99.

Am I the only retard that would rather see a compact flash slot in this thing?

I just saw this thread too. I would say if it comes out with the specs and features Curt mentioned as probable and at that amazing price point, it would be nothing short of a sensation. It would be appealing to those interested in nostalgia like the buyers of the FB 1 and 2 as well as those interested in hacker-friendly handhelds like the systems from Gamepark. That's of course in addition to the hordes of classic gaming enthusiasts such as ourselves and the countless articles in the mainstream and enthusiast press. Good luck!