IGNORED

Gears of War

Red 5

According to this thread on the official forums, that feature doesn't exist. :ponder:

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=556403

I have not tried it, because I haven't even tried co-op yet.

OK, so we wre given some ill-informed advice here (no names mentioned).

Would be nice if people knew what they were talking about before responding so we don't waste out time.

Regards,

-Lee

No need to be rude. I remember changing the settings to change from horizontal to vertical. Maybe it was on the Xbox. Sooo-rrry.

• 3 months later...

I got my copy of Gears today from a member here. I've been playing singleplayer and some coop most of the time. I must say this is the best looking and playing game I have ever played! :lust: Damn, coop online is so fun and there is always another person ready to play. God, I love this.

This is better than anything i've ever played. It's a great day for gaming for me :)

I got my copy of Gears today from a member here. I've been playing singleplayer and some coop most of the time. I must say this is the best looking and playing game I have ever played! :lust: Damn, coop online is so fun and there is always another person ready to play. God, I love this.

This is better than anything i've ever played. It's a great day for gaming for me :)

Love to see this reaction from people. It's rare that a game just owns hardcore on so many levels, from graphics to gameplay, on both single and multiplayer. Last time a game affected me as much as GoW, was probably Goldeneye.

I beat Gears today, finally (i was waiting to get an HDTV before i played through it, have had the game since release). Just on casual, but i'm admittedly not the best around when it comes to this style of game. The final boss fight was extremely satisfying, my deathblow was dealt in a moment of desperation via pistol blind-fire. That felt really, really cool. :)

I'm starting a new game on Hardcore, don't know if i'll make it through, but i must play more. My lack of Live makes me a sad panda. :(

I beat Gears today, finally (i was waiting to get an HDTV before i played through it, have had the game since release). Just on casual, but i'm admittedly not the best around when it comes to this style of game. The final boss fight was extremely satisfying, my deathblow was dealt in a moment of desperation via pistol blind-fire. That felt really, really cool. :)

I'm starting a new game on Hardcore, don't know if i'll make it through, but i must play more. My lack of Live makes me a sad panda. :(

Don't feel bad, I only beat the game on casual as well. Honestly, it is hard enough on that setting for me. I beat Call of Duty 2 on the hardest difficulty setting, but Casual on Gears of War was fine with me. I can't imagine trying to beat General Raam on anything harder. It took me like 10 tries to beat him as it is.

Great game though, just not necessarily my cup of tea. It's OK though because I was just borrowing it from a friend.

Chris

• 6 months later...

I've been playing this one a bit lately. Thanks to someone kind enough to let me borrow their copy. Pretty fun. Reminds me in some was of Resistance.

One funny thing that did happen though is on the level you drive the vehicle back from the gas station I died just at the end of the trip and the game just continued on. :lol: Weird..

Edited by Shannon

I just completed the part where you have 20 seconds to get to your vehicle. Talk about annoying. I hate cheap stuff like this.

Anyways things I can say I don't like about the game.

The lousy grenade throwing controls. At first it seemed like a great idea. But aiming the grenade where you want is a pain in the neck and most of the time you end up getting killed while trying to aim and then throw the thing.

The chainsaw idea is kinda cool but in most cases if you are hiding behind something and an enemy gets too close you might as well consider yourself dead. See next item.

No cross hair except when your aiming (hold left trigger) so trying to shoot while you move is not exactly easy.

Your character is not exactly the most mobile. I feel like I'm controlling a turtle. At least in Rainbow Six Vegas you could recover from bad situations if you were quick enough. In this game, though, your pretty much dead meat if things don't quite work out right.

Dom, is well, just plain dumb I dunno how many times he has gone down due to stupidity. On top of that once you clear the enemies out of the area he pretty much recovers anyways. Hence no reason to rescue him. Having the other two guys is kinda nice but it seems like half the game they arent really with you. Plus there is practically no point in issuing team orders.

Overall though it is alot of fun. I've gotten fairly adapt at closing holes if they come up despite the lousy grenade throwing design. I've found that I use the hammerburst the most. It seems to do the most damage and eliminates enemies quicker. Sniper rifle is a waste cause the reload time is pitiful.

Edited by Shannon

I just completed the part where you have 20 seconds to get to your vehicle. Talk about annoying. I hate cheap stuff like this.

Anyways things I can say I don't like about the game.

The lousy grenade throwing controls. At first it seemed like a great idea. But aiming the grenade where you want is a pain in the neck and most of the time you end up getting killed while trying to aim and then throw the thing.

Like Gunstar said, blind throw is more effective and the most useful.

The chainsaw idea is kinda cool but in most cases if you are hiding behind something and an enemy gets too close you might as well consider yourself dead. See next item.

Not if you are quick enough. Close combat is the best part of Gears. Once you get the hang of it, it's hard not to just rush in and chainsaw. I have gone through the game on the hardest difficulty doing pretty much nothing but chainsawing everything, of course some times you just can't.

No cross hair except when your aiming (hold left trigger) so trying to shoot while you move is not exactly easy.

The basis of the game is to shoot behind cover really though. You can run and gun and you can do well with no cursor, but it's not a run and gun type of shooter.

Your character is not exactly the most mobile. I feel like I'm controlling a turtle. At least in Rainbow Six Vegas you could recover from bad situations if you were quick enough. In this game, though, your pretty much dead meat if things don't quite work out right.

Gears was made with the idea that you are heavy and slow, that's why it's a cover and shoot style game. It needs to be played that way to be at it's best. It took me a while to get used to covering no matter what and being sluggish, but in the end, I got it and enjoyed it. If you wanna feel like a slug, try some Lost Planet :D

I don't mind the cover and shoot framework. I just feel that Rainbow Six Vegas did a better job of that aspect. Regardless I still enjoy the game. Just found certain aspects of the "interface" too clumsy for my tastes.

I tried using the chainsaw a few times but it always seemed like it left me open to attack too often and alot of times a baddy would melee me before I could get the saw going. Plus if your up against something and a baddy flanks you or jumps across that something turning is so slow you can kiss your sweet a** goodbye.

Like I said. I just ended up using the hammerburst. I can take out the enemies alot quicker (usually three-four presses of the trigger) wherease the chaingun thingie uses too much ammo.

Thanks for the tip, but does that method work well for closing the holes in the ground that the baddies come from?

Oh yes, I use blind throw every time for every purpose. There are a couple sequences in the game where the best tactic is to literally run up to the emergence holes as they open and toss in a grenade, easily taking out the hole before any enemies emerge.

I don't mind the cover and shoot framework. I just feel that Rainbow Six Vegas did a better job of that aspect. Regardless I still enjoy the game. Just found certain aspects of the "interface" too clumsy for my tastes.

I tried using the chainsaw a few times but it always seemed like it left me open to attack too often and alot of times a baddy would melee me before I could get the saw going. Plus if your up against something and a baddy flanks you or jumps across that something turning is so slow you can kiss your sweet a** goodbye.

Like I said. I just ended up using the hammerburst. I can take out the enemies alot quicker (usually three-four presses of the trigger) wherease the chaingun thingie uses too much ammo.

You will never realize the awesomeness of this game unless you play some co-op on Live. It was designed to be played with a partner. That's why you realize that the Dom AI is pretty dumb, he's supposed to be human controlled. Playing co-op will fix almost all your complaints, particularly the chainsawing, it's nice to chainsaw an enemy knowing that there is a competent partner out there taking care of business and watching your back, not to mention he can heal you.