IGNORED

Anybody want a Battlesphere Gold?

Nick Harlow

As for the diabetes research, this is an old argument, but they were never very forthcoming in what they donated, if anything.

Btw, you seem to conveniently have missed out on a lot of times when the Battlesphere carts have been up for auction to support worthy causes.

There were auctions for the 9-11 victims. There were auctions for Katrina victims. There were auctions for The ADA. The recent Battlesphere TRIO was designed specifically for such an auction even.

The way I remember it with those auctions, no money went through ScatoLOGIC's hands. The payments went directly to the charities or causes.

And who gives a flying fart as to how much money eventually is donated? It´s the thought that counts.

Ever hear of donation scams? Say, when someone puts a jar for donations in a store, and it turns out the money isn't going to where they claim at all?

Without disclosure, there's the chance of scams, fraud and waste. And when someone claiming to be taking money for donation to a charity won't say how much was donated, or what percentage, it raises an aura of suspicion. It smells bad.

Accountability is needed in charities and in donations. Ever hear of Guidestar? Here in PA, there are rules with the state about having to register with the state when you're collecting donations for charity. I honestly don't know all the details about when that applies or not. Someone running a big Christmas light display in this area and taking donations for charity got in trouble last year because they hadn't registered.

Unless the makers of the game plan to sell more carts to satisfy whatever remnants of demand are left - it can't be that much - then there shouldn't be a problem with those who want to experience the game getting it some other way. If they don't plan to make more, the only people this will hurt are those who own a cart and who want to sell it not being able to get the high prices as we've seen in the past.

The best way to combat piracy is to make it available, by producing it themselves or making it available another way. Selling it in random eBay auctions doesn't count, because that's acting just like a "scalper." (Not that I think the term "scalper" is appropriate in this issue.)

In the end, at this point, I can't see how there could be that much demand for it. The number of active Jaguar users has to be so small. To most, BS, just like the Jaguar, isn't worth anything.

• Like 1

That's correct. Just sit back and wait for the last BSG cart ever to be sold show up again. And again. And again.
<shrug> Not much else to do really, is there? Arguing seems rather pointless and unproductive. Me, I'm concentrating on getting other items for my Jaguar collection. :D Edited by ls650

How many of them released their Jaguar games? Oh wait, none of them either. The other thing is that none of these companies are an underground company building in the basement, they are huge Multimillion dollar corporations that can afford then tax write off man, so comparing them to companies like ScatoLOGIC and 3D Stooges, even to you guys, Jagware, is a bit of a big step, wouldn't you say? Now, after these guys get big or whatever, of course I am surte it wouldn't be a huge problem, but hey, until then, you got to let these people make money, example, are you going to give away the CF? I didn't think so. Also, did you feel good seeing something that you gave away sell for $80.00? Neither would I.

maybe it'll be better to give you this exemple : http://www.llamasoft.co.uk , not a multimillion dollar corporation ?

concerning these examples, it's only about software, not hardware, don't stupidly mix them :)

ScatoLOGIC has made it clear that they will not be doing another release of BattleSphere. So, all the complaining in the world will not change that.

What bothers me is that the they are also not producting anymore of their other project, the Scatbox. As far as I know their is no agreement that they cannot make a profit on other items. Hey T-bird, got any test Scatbox laying around you can box up for me?

• 3 weeks later...

I agree. Someone, somewhere, sometime, will dump this game. I dont necessarily agree with it, but its so hard to come by. There are many jag fans that will never get to enjoy this game.

I'm not a big fan of the "I'm the only one who has it so I can charge $500" for a old Jaguar game mentality.

Like Dracula X for the TurboDuo. Everyone knows that it sells for $150 but I was glad to see that it is available for download and I finally get to own and play the game!

Now chances are, that the people on ebay buying the Dracula game are simply making a copy, then passing it on and trying to get their cash back. Sure this isn't the same case with BSG because its a cartridge. But if it were on CD, and a straight burn did actually work (not sure, never owned a JagCD) then BSG would be normally priced along with other Jaguar games. Seriously, is the game the best Jaguar game ever? Like the Halo2 for Jaguar?

That's just my $0.2

• Like 1

Scatologic, not 4Play - they changed their name.

Sure it's possible. Whether they want to do another production run is another story. They've made comments that they were considering a new cart with a collection of "mini games", similar to the Defektor hidden in BSG, but that they've put any plans to release more carts on hold until they know what's happening with JagCF.

If you want to know what that is, I recommend you do a search and read up on it before posting any queries about JagCF. Please note that it is a very hot topic that upsets many people on "both sides" of the issue.

I tend to like arcadish flying sims and racing games the most, but I'll take a look at other games. Generally I don't like hop+bop 2D platformers, but Rayman is okay.

As for OUTRAGEOUS prices, common carts on eBay for the Jag usually run about $8-$10 unboxed, so you can get a working console with maybe a half-dozen commons for under $100. I think that's not too bad.

Edited by ls650

I was referring especially to space opera like titles such as space war 2000, sky hammer, end eventually battlesphere?
I used to own Battlesphere Classic, but unfortunately I had to sell it when I needed some cash. I think BS is a great game, but there are others for the Jaguar that are damned good too... and a lot easier to get your hands on.

I've pretty much given up on Battlesphere itself, but I would love to see more easy to pick up, hard to put down games in the same mold as Battlesphere -- preferably on handhelds or other simpler modern systems. A game like Battlesphere on the GP2X or PSP would be pure sex.

There's a nice little Windows game called Void War which resembles BS in many ways, including network play. The developer is an XBOX Live Arcade licensee, so hopefully we'll see a 360 version update of it someday.

I know about void war, It's on my target list.

But going back on BSG, I just hope that when needed, a copy will still remain for preservation.

Speaking of preservation, 2 unreleased games for the amiga got preserved (my me and some dear friends) in their full version: Calephar and shenandoah. Those games are now perfectly workable with WinUAE. That might interest you, is650 as they are arcadish space sims/shooters.

Yeah, I wonder where those numbers are coming from as well. I've read one claim in the past that BattleSphere Classic's original run was 500 copies, and a subsequent run of 50. That said, it was just one person's claim and he didn't offer any proof to back it up.

I'm glad I got both (reg & gold,) when I did :-) Definately one of the Jag's best games (top 10, top 5, depending on your tastes,) Top 5 for me. I don't really see what the discussion is, other than people trying to yell or place blame so they can feel better about not being able to afford it (sour grapes?) or mad that they missed it when first available. That said, I am surprised that another batch hasn't been made, since there is obviosuly, still, vilolent demand for this game.

That said, I am surprised that another batch hasn't been made, since there is obviosuly, still, vilolent demand for this game.

Talking of dumping the rom hasn´t helped. Doesn´t really matter how serious these veiled threats are, the mere mention of doing so is enough, I´m sure.

Also, the release of the JagCF needs to be scrutinized some. If it hits the street with the ability to play older commercial Jaguar roms, I´m pretty sure we´ve seen the last batch ever of BattleSphere.

At least you know the proceeds will support a good cause.

it's true ! 4Play helps to fight the diabete :)

But ... not for all the carts sells on ebay by Captainawesome !

Make 50 news copies of BSG is less expensive ( but more difficult ) than sell 5-6 copies of BSG on Ebay

so everybody now understand :) ... 3 copies for diabete , 2 in its pockets , no times lost to make news copies for jag fans... :cool:

Nothing to say, if somebody want to do something he's free.

Save your bucks for news games less expensives :D

Or a beautiful JagCF :lust: