IGNORED

Anyone camping out at BestBuy for the PS3?

RickHarrisMaine

Our best buy is one of the smaller ones and they only have so much space. They've been slowly re-arranging the shelves to accomodate the new systems. Which I think if funny considering the WII is like a Gamecube+.

This seems like an unnecessary jab at the Wii. It's a new system, with new games, so of course it's going to need a new area to display games. And it's probably going to sell better than either the 360 or the PS3 (well, definitely better than the PS3) this holiday season..

..Al

I know of five off the top of my head and non of them are in bel-air.

Waldorf

Annapolis

Salisbury

Bowie

Laurel

If done right it is possible to hit them all (except annapolis) in the same day. I could add 3 from the VA area that are fairly easy to get to as well.

Here is IGN's ratings of the release titles for the PS3.

Madden NFL 07   	 8.3
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 	8.3
Need for Speed Carbon 	Racing	  7.9
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 	Action RPG 	7.9
Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom 	Action RPG 	6.5
NHL 2K7 	Sports	  8.6
Ridge Racer 7 	Racing	  8.2
NBA '07 	Sports	  7.8
Resistance: Fall of Man 	Shooter	  9.1
Tony Hawk's Project 8 	Sports	  7.0
Genji: Days of the Blade 	Action	  6.0

Edited by Shannon

Here is IGN's ratings of the release titles for the PS3.

Madden NFL 07   	 8.3
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 	8.3
Need for Speed Carbon 	Racing	  7.9
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 	Action RPG 	7.9
Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom 	Action RPG 	6.5
NHL 2K7 	Sports	  8.6
Ridge Racer 7 	Racing	  8.2
NBA '07 	Sports	  7.8
Resistance: Fall of Man 	Shooter	  9.1
Tony Hawk's Project 8 	Sports	  7.0
Genji: Days of the Blade 	Action	  6.0

I was just reading a review of NBA '07, which is the only game I've played on the PS3 so far:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/sports/nba07/review.html

They gave it a 4.9 and from reading the review, it deserves it.

..Al

lol... both reviews point out most the same flaws yet IGN gives it the higher rating. Can anyone say bias??

Gamespot's ratings..

NHL 2K7	 8.3
NBA 07	 4.9
Resistance: Fall of Man	 8.6
Call of Duty 3	 8.2
Genji: Days of the Blade	 6.4
Tony Hawk's Project 8	 7.3

Edited by Shannon

I drove by the Best Buy last night, about 8PM. There were people in front of the store, and dozens more camped out in their cars. There really was no hope there, so I drove home. On the way out my 7 year old son Riley asked me what they were camping for. I told him, and he said, "what a bunch of nutjobs." then, "is it okay to call someone that, or is it an adult word?" :D

I drove past a Target on the way in here to work, about 7:45, opened at 8AM. About 10 people there, still didn't bother with it.

Last year's XBox 360 I picked up at launch turned out to be a bit of an albatross in a way. Went through 3-4 listings before it finally sold around Christmas. I didn't want that to happen again.

I personally prefer fan opinion over those reviews. Especially if you don't know the reviewers. Plus they're too geeky sometimes for me, I just want to kick back and have fun, not have some religious experience or something.

Depends on the game, but I think the problem I have with reviewers (when I do have a problem) is that they're just too close to the industry. They get caught up in their own little world, they're easily affected by positive hype (there's no such thing as journalistic standards in the gaming industry), and just as easily affected by negative hype. If a game like Ridge Racer, for example, gets a reputation in the industry for being "stale", then every reviewer is going to repeat that mantra ad nauseum. For me, that's just not helpful - it's Ridge Racer 7, for God's sake, I'm not expecting the freakin' second coming of Gran Turismo. All I want to know is if the game's fun and whether or not it runs properly and looks good. I don't care how it compares to other racers, and especially not on other consoles.

Smaller games that don't otherwise get a lot of press can more often bring out quality reviews, but not always then either - I remember GameSpot gave Rez something like a 7.9 (they couldn't even muster an 8.0), and that's now recognized the world over as one of the most amazing games of all time in many different ways. (I remember reading their review and thinking it was obvious they'd never even managed to unlock anything - they said there were 4 levels to the game and once you completed them, that's it. That's just not true.) Ditto for Ikaruga. Sometimes reviewers are just as guilty of not "getting" a game as anybody else can be.

As for the PS3, I'm now on the hunt for online sites where I can buy one - nothing yet (other than Ebay). I can wait, though, if I have to.

Edited by spacecadet

I personally prefer fan opinion over those reviews. Especially if you don't know the reviewers. Plus they're too geeky sometimes for me, I just want to kick back and have fun, not have some religious experience or something.

Depends on the game, but I think the problem I have with reviewers (when I do have a problem) is that they're just too close to the industry. They get caught up in their own little world, they're easily affected by positive hype (there's no such thing as journalistic standards in the gaming industry), and just as easily affected by negative hype. If a game like Ridge Racer, for example, gets a reputation in the industry for being "stale", then every reviewer is going to repeat that mantra ad nauseum. For me, that's just not helpful - it's Ridge Racer 7, for God's sake, I'm not expecting the freakin' second coming of Gran Turismo. All I want to know is if the game's fun and whether or not it runs properly and looks good. I don't care how it compares to other racers, and especially not on other consoles.

Smaller games that don't otherwise get a lot of press can more often bring out quality reviews, but not always then either - I remember GameSpot gave Rez something like a 7.1, and that's now recognized the world over as one of the most amazing games of all time in many different ways. Ditto for Ikaruga. Sometimes reviewers are just as guilty of not "getting" a game as anybody else can be.

As for the PS3, I'm now on the hunt for online sites where I can buy one - nothing yet (other than Ebay). I can wait, though, if I have to.

From my experience, they tend to bash shorter games just because they're not epic in length. I agree it should play some role in the review process. Take Excite Truck, for instance. The reviewer at Gamespot said it was 4 hours long, so it's a short game. He said he liked the game but the multiplayer modes lacked. He gave it a 6.8. Rating a good game fair because it doesn't have 4 player? How many people actually had the PS2 multitap? Sure this is "next gen" and I agree it should have had 4 player, but 6.8 is harsh for a good game.

To me its a why bother situation.

And I'm surprised nobody got robbed while waiting in line. Many wqill be paying by credit / debit, but you know some numbnut has brought cash along.

And there's a report of a person being shot while in line waiting for a PS3. http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2006/11/17/2391547.html

Damn people. ITS A FREAKING GAME SYSTEM! GET A LIFE!

Edited by Inky

What idiots, including that loser who bragged about "Only the strong survive, and as always, I'm number one!" I bet this scene was repeated (or will be repeated) at stores all over the US today..

Talk about annoying. I swear, if I heard him say, "I was number 1!" one more time, I was going to find a way to reach through the TV and punch him. People could have been hurt out there, including the Police Officers who were trying to protect people from themselves. Yet all this guy can think about was, "Um... uh... you know... I was number one!" :x

Heh I had the same thoughts as the last 2 posts. & of course he couldnt wait to get back to his van & enjoy his nice big sandwich!

:D :D :D

I also heard a report elsewhere a 19 year old guy crashed into a flagpole in a mad rush into a Wal-Mart Wed night (?). He dislocated his jaw & (my guess is) the work he needs will likely cost as much as or more than he gets for the PS3.

Knuckle head.

Edited by RJ