IGNORED

I am updating the Atlantis II registry

homerwannabee

Unlike the other rare carts this one has changed a lot of hands over the past 2 years since cincynoti's original list. I decided to update all the changes I know and some I think I know of. Ok here it goes

1.5th Ghost: Cart, Box, Original contest Docs. (got this from from the original contestant)

2.Decypher: Cart (Got his from Dino who go his from Bloated monkey. Bloated Monkey got his 2 carts he had from Ebay)

3.Wonder 007: Cart ( probably was BuyAtari's) .

4.Meanguns:Cart, Original contest docs (Was original contestant)

5.Gospeedde: Cart, Ed Siegler: Cart, (Got from Ed Siegler who got his from his brother Joe who was an original contestant)

6. Crunchysuperman: Cart, Box sticker (Got from myself, Who got his from Video Game Addict who got his off Ebay)

7. Myself: Cart, Original contest docs (Got from original owner off ebay)

8. Rick Weis: Cart, Box, ( Not to sure of where he got his from?)

9. Bloated Monkey: cart

10. Mr. Mystery/Mark Sumner:Cart, Box, original docs,Most complete of anyones. (Mysterious person that Wonder007 vagely mentioned in a couple of posts . Probably the same guy as Mark Sumner)

11. Ianoid: Cart,Has the box but no sticker, (Got his from FND)

12. Zeitshabba: Cart (Got his from solow_rider)

13. David Park: Cart, Box, (Got his from his Uncle Ken who was an original contestant)

14. Mr. Mystery II: Cart, Docs(Original Contestant)

xx. Ataridolemite: Box, original Docs. (Original contestant) Does not have cart.

xx. Box and sticker floating around the internet.(Probably 5th Ghost's)

Ok, there are definetly some holes in this and possibly some inacuracies in regard to the Atlantis 2 owners. If you have any more information it would really be appreciated.

Edited by homerwannabee

I do know who wonder007 is talking about and he is NOT on the list above. There are no docs or box with that one AFAIK.

I have seen the docs, box, the shirt, snorkle set and even the store display item with the cards (through pictures)....it is the real deal. The potential seller is waiting to have time to put it up on e-bay or here in the forums.... I have never seen one so complete in my life. :)

BTW, I did not buy my copy from bloatedmonkey, I got it from somebody else. ;)

Edited by Wonder007

I am not talking about the super complete one. I am talking about the one you own right now. Did you get that from someone on the list or from someone outside of Atariage.

It is from somebody in AtariAge but I believe the collector does not want to be identified.

Interesting. 11 carts for a game of which only 10 supposedly exist.

This one depends. Wile searching the data base I came across a qoute from Bloated Monkey who said he heard that only 20 were made. The 10 made has been attributed primarily to Meanguns. Also there is a chance that Wonder007 got his cart from someone on this list. If this is true then there are 10 still. I think that 20 is probably a more accurate at this present time. For one thing, as stated in one auction for the current NWC Gold cart . Only 26 games were made that were gold and less than 10 are spoken for at this present time. My guess is it's probably 9 carts. Now follow me

on this one. Atlantis II is also a competition cart and at the moment there are presently 10 or 11 spoken for. Believe it or not this cart was just as a big deal back in the day as the NWC. Here's the thing though, since Atlantis II has been out for 8 more years, it has had 8 more years time to be found. Their will probably be atleast 4 or 5 carts that will come forward for the NWC gold cart during this time. So from 9 out of 26 to probably 13 out of 26 it will be at this time. So if there are 10 or 11 carts now it would make sense that 20 or 22 were made. Remember this as well, Imagic stated in the contest paper's that the cart they received was a collectible. Truly Imagic was ahead of their time for knowing this. Making it more likely that kids were going to keep this game. At the moment I believe 20 is a more reliable number.

Here is the link to where Bloated Monkey says that he heard that that they made 20 for contestants. He also says that they could of made more but that is more speculation on his part.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...tlantis+contest

Edited by homerwannabee

If there are 11 known, genuine copies of Atlantis II out there, then there are probably many more than 11 copies in existence. It's supremely unlikely that all the copies sent out by Imagic have been accounted for. I'd be amazed if this represents even half of the copies that were distributed. I wouldn't be surprised if 50 or more copies were produced.

..Al

If there are 11 known, genuine copies of Atlantis II out there, then there are probably many more than 11 copies in existence. It's supremely unlikely that all the copies sent out by Imagic have been accounted for. I'd be amazed if this represents even half of the copies that were distributed. I wouldn't be surprised if 50 or more copies were produced.

..Al

I don't know about that. How do you explain then that a third of the NWC gold carts have already been acounted for in 8 years less time?

..Al

I don't know about that. How do you explain then that a third of the NWC gold carts have already been acounted for in 8 years less time?

probably because they are gold. the Atlantis 2 carts are indistinguishable from Atlantis carts

..Al

probably because they are gold. the Atlantis 2 carts are indistinguishable from Atlantis carts

Good point. Still it was labeled as a collectible and 7 of the eleven have either a box sticker or paper work associated with them. You would think that common atlantis carts are tested on a pretty regular basis to see if they are an atlantis 2 cart yet almost none have shown up with this method, which leads me to believe that an extremly small number were made. In fact bloated monkey found his looking at auction descriptions with one having a II written on it. Since Atariage has been collecting post there has not been one mention of anybody finding an Atlantis 2 cart by the plugging it in method.

Edited by homerwannabee

..Al

The Nintendo World Championship was publicized quite a bit more than this Imagic contest. Plus the list of winners from the NWC contest was published in Nintendo Power (with those people subsequently tracked down). We will probably never see a list of people who received one of these Atlantis II carts. I don't really think the two contests (and the resulting carts) can be compared easily.

..Al

Good point. Still it was labeled as a collectible and 7 of the eleven have either a box sticker or paper work associated with them. You would think that common atlantis carts are tested on a pretty regular basis to see if they are an atlantis 2 cart yet almost none have shown up with this method, which leads me to believe that an extremly small number were made.

There's no doubt that an extremely small number of these carts were made. But when you're talking about a game that had such a huge distribution, 100, 50, and 20 are all extremely small numbers relative to the total number of Atlantis carts that were made. I bet some of these carts have been lost permanently, and some are probably still sitting in someone's attic or basement awaiting discovery for a future day. It definitely does not help that aside from the sticker on the "Atlantis II" box, there is no visual way to discern an Atlantis II cart from an Atlantis cart.

..Al

Good point. Still it was labeled as a collectible and 7 of the eleven have either a box sticker or paper work associated with them. You would think that common atlantis carts are tested on a pretty regular basis to see if they are an atlantis 2 cart yet almost none have shown up with this method, which leads me to believe that an extremly small number were made.

There's no doubt that an extremely small number of these carts were made. But when you're talking about a game that had such a huge distribution, 100, 50, and 20 are all extremely small numbers relative to the total number of Atlantis carts that were made. I bet some of these carts have been lost permanently, and some are probably still sitting in someone's attic or basement awaiting discovery for a future day. It definitely does not help that aside from the sticker on the "Atlantis II" box, there is no visual way to discern an Atlantis II cart from an Atlantis cart.

..Al

Atleast we can come on an agreement that an extremly small number were made. My guess is you are probably in the 50 to 100 camp. I personally am in the 20 to 60 camp.

..Al

Atleast we can come on an agreement that an extremly small number were made. My guess is you are probably in the 50 to 100 camp. I personally am in the 20 to 60 camp.

My hunch is that there were either a VERY small number made (i.e. 10-20, being the number IMAGIC needed) or 1000 being the minimum run for a regular production ROM. If there were 1000 made, I think many more would have shown up by now so I think the former is correct.

My hunch is that there were either a VERY small number made (i.e. 10-20, being the number IMAGIC needed) or 1000 being the minimum run for a regular production ROM. If there were 1000 made, I think many more would have shown up by now so I think the former is correct.

Has anyone ever weighed an Atlantis II cart relative to an Atlantis cart? An Atlantis II cart should be heavier if an EPROM was used as opposed to a masked ROM. I doubt anything approaching 1,000 of these were made, but if there are 11 known copies out there then I have little doubt that 20 or more were produced.

..Al

Has anyone ever weighed an Atlantis II cart relative to an Atlantis cart? An Atlantis II cart should be heavier if an EPROM was used as opposed to a masked ROM. I doubt anything approaching 1,000 of these were made, but if there are 11 known copies out there then I have little doubt that 20 or more were produced.

..Al

They're not EPROMS.

If there were 10 contestants, then they would have made more than 10, just to be safe, as burning ROMs was so expensive they wouldnt want to have to do a second run is some were lost in the mail etc

They're not EPROMS.

Has anyone ever opened up an Atlantis II cart to verify this?

..Al

VGA weighed (on electronic scales) the one he sold to Homewannabee and compared it to a regular Atlantis cart and they were the same weight. Other than that, I dont thing one's been opened.

They're not EPROMS.

Has anyone ever opened up an Atlantis II cart to verify this?

..Al

VGA weighed (on electronic scales) the one he sold to Homewannabee and compared it to a regular Atlantis cart and they were the same weight. Other than that, I dont thing one's been opened.

Okay, that's cool. I can certainly understand why nobody's opened one. :)

..Al

FND opened his, I believe, and you guys forgot about the fact that Bloateddonkey had 2 of them and he sold one on eBay. ;)

I vaguely remember this--was it a masked ROM inside?

I am betting that there were more than a hundred of these.

This would not surprise me at all. In any case, I think it's a bit misleading to say there were only 10 of these in an auction without definitive proof when there are clearly more.

..Al