IGNORED

Welcome to the New Forums! Please Read!

Albert

Two more bugs to add to the list...  

Also, editing posts takes forever, you click submit then wait in excess of 30 seconds before anything happens. Whereas, with the old board, I never noticed any slowdowns at any point ever.

Yes, I noticed that delay too.

At the moment I'm at my job with a very fast conncetion. No problems here and I'm sure I get used to the new style (IMO a little bit more retro looking would be better).

Now let's see how my slow 56k modem will handle this. :wink:

So far I'm in a state of shock...I think I like the new forum, but I was just on here late last night and it was the old one. Now I know it only takes a microsecond to switch over when all is ready, but have this many people already been on since this morning to leave all these replies?!? :shock:

Also, editing posts takes forever, you click submit then wait in excess of 30 seconds before anything happens. Whereas, with the old board, I never noticed any slowdowns at any point ever.

This is confirmed, I have this problem as well, but when I tried to edit posts it simply seemed to not respond. I am using 56K so it may go thru, but doesn't seem like it ever will.

Here are two ASCII ribbions I made for your campaign (Let's see how bad they turn out here) --

__

//

//

/

//

||||

_// _

___

/***

|ARC|

___/

/ |

| | |

| | |

| | |

/_/_

html
 tags dont work, as can be seen above, the board dosnt cope with the end of line being an actual end of line, I think its trying to make it an end of paragraph, but inside 
 tags everything should be treated like its pure ASCII text.

We can specify exactly which HTML tags are alllowed when posting, but we haven't done this yet. This will be fixed today to allow most reasonable tags. :)

I noticed this also, and I have no idea why it's slow when editing a post. I'll research this today and see what I can do to speed it up. Hopefully it's just a configuration issue with MySQL (the backend database that we're using for the forum software). Even though the UBB Perl scripts were very resource intensive (especially with a good number of people on the board), they didn't do nearly as much when generating a page. phpBB has a fairly sophisticated template scheme, plus it does quite a bit more such as allowing the use of a user's local time (so you can see messages relative to *your* time, not where our server is located). The price you pay for this complexity is that even though PHP scripts execute quickly, there's more code executing, as welll as many database queries, so any performance benefit you might otherwise see is probably negated.

Even before the move we were considering upgrading to a faster server, and certainly that will help the site. If that's what it ends up taking to get the forums running without delays, then that's what we'll do. :)

..Al

Pfft, except I just noticed I've been demoted to a Newbie from a Snr Atari Fan :)

We did reset some of the ranking levels as you all have noticed. We're not terribly thrilled by our rather uninspired rank titles, so we may hold a contest for people to submit rank names.

Maybe I am the only one who has a strong dislike for this new board then... I doubt it tho, if you take the time to look at all the little things that are just... wrong... boundless enthusiasm for all that is new can be a big mistake, learn to be jaded and cold like me and you'll live longer :)

Nick, we'll be taking all your comments into consideration. Please keep in mind this is day one of the new software, and we expect to be modifying things based on feedback (and things we just forgot).

Ok this maybe a stupid question, but how do I view all recent posts?  I see an option for all unanswered posts, but not one for all posts posted today.

This option is not installed right now. It does exist, and we had set it up initially but it was very slow. So we'll be looking into how to speed that up and bring it back.

Good morning! 8:42 am here...

ok, INITIAL impressions so far (I realize that things will change over time)

1. Yes, it seems slower. Definitely a slower response time than what I got used to on the old boards.

2. The "Topic Review" when replying seems to only show a limited number of posts.

3. I really miss the View today's active topics option. But I just saw that you guys are working on it. :)

4. Why does it make you have to type in a new "Subject" line when replying?

And that's about it! :) Overall though, it looks ok. I dig it ;)

I was wondering that too, and why the subjects for replies apear so small that you'd easily be forgiven for missing them (might be an idea to just turn them off, we never used to be able to make new subjects)

As for load times, while it was a bit faster earlier on, the whole board does seem incredibly slow now, perhaps its just cause there are a lot of messages on these pages, but even on shorter topics there is a very noticible delay.

1. Yes, it seems slower. Definitely a slower response time than what I got used to on the old boards.

I just turned GZIP Compression back on, which seems to help speed things up. I did some digging on the phpbb support site, and the general consensus seems to be that most phpbb sites turn it on. here's a thread on the phpbb site if anyone wants an explanation of what gzip compression does.

2. The "Topic Review" when replying seems to only show a limited number of posts.

Yeah, I noticed this also. However, the "Topic Review" on UBB (which is a modification that we added to the standard UBB installation) was broken in that it only showed messages if you were on the first page of a thread. If you replied to a message on any other page, you didn't see *any* messages. It's a trade off between showing too many messages and taking longer to load the "Post a reply" page, and showing as many messages as reasonably possibly so you can look back at what you're replying to.

3. I really miss the View today's active topics option. But I just saw that you guys are working on it. :)

I will put this back in, although the query is a bit slow. However, it's more useful than the "Today's Active Topics" on UBB, since it will always show you the last 24 hours of posts based on your time setting, as opposed to our server's.

You can ignore this if you'd like. The subject is clearly displayed at the top of each thread, so unless you want to change the subject, you can just leave it blank.

..Al

As for load times, while it was a bit faster earlier on, the whole board does seem incredibly slow now, perhaps its just cause there are a lot of messages on these pages, but even on shorter topics there is a very noticible delay.

As I mentioned in my above post, I just turned gzip compression back on, which should help speed things up. It's a part of the HTTP 1.1 spec, so any browsers that are HTTP 1.1 compliant (which most certainly will be anything these days) will support it. If your browser is not HTTP 1.1 compliant, then the content will not be sent compressed. Now, if your browser *lies* about being HTTP 1.1 compliant and doesn't support the compression, then that can cause problems.

Also, I'll definitely be spending some time tweaking our configuration to eek out as much performance as we can get out of our server. I'll probably also be looking at upgrading our server to something a bit faster, with more memory. It won't cost us any more per month, so we've been looking at doing this for some time. I've seen much larger phpBB sites run very quickly, so there's no reason AtariAge can't be just as fast. Many people also run phpBB on hosted servers that are shared by many accounts, and we have a dedicated server.

It's a learning experience for us and the situation will improve, as I for one will not be satisfied with a sluggish user experience. :)

..Al

There are a LOT of bells and whistles on this new board... takes some getting used to... I miss the simplicity of the old board, but oh well, all things must change....

Yes, I think that is one of the problems is that it is a little intimidating given UBB's relative simplicity. However, I've been using phpBB for over six months (visiting other sites) and I've grown to like it quite a bit. Also, the new software hasn't even been up 12 hours yet, so we'll be making changes and tweaking it to accomodate requests we receive.

..Al

I love the powerful new features, and the overall look. Those old graphics for Edit, Quote etc. were cryptic; adding text labels makes them much more usable. The Mac OS X Aqua influence wins me over too. 8)

However, (you knew this was coming) there is one very important feature missing from the old boards:

visited link color!!

On the old board, I could look at the forum list and see which threads I have just finished reading by looking for the purple 'visited link' color. Now everything is blue all the time! This makes it very hard to know which threads I've already seen, and which ones I have yet to read. Trying to remember the titles of all the threads I've read isn't going to work, either.

PLEASE bring back the 'visited link' color. It's one of the most basic tools for finding your way around on the web.

Other than that, I *love* the new forums, they're great!

The new rating system is pretty harsh. I mean, over 100 posts just to be considered an "Novice?" Over 1,000 before going "Pro?" Geez. :(

Rating people's proficiency is brusing on the ego. Instead, why not use terms of enthusiasm?

Instead of:

Atari Newbie

Atari Novice

Atari Amateur

Atari Pro

use:

Atari Visitor

Atari Fan

Atari Enthusiast

Atari Worshipper

Atari Maniac

More accurate, and more enjoyable, too. What do you think?

Atari Visitor

Atari Fan

Atari Enthusiast

Atari Worshipper

Atari Maniac

More accurate, and more enjoyable, too. What do you think?

Yes, I agree these are better and we mentioned before that we weren't crazy about the existing ones. :) Would anyone else like to comment?

Thanks,

..Al

visited link color!!

On the old board, I could look at the forum list and see which threads I have just finished reading by looking for the purple 'visited link' color. Now everything is blue all the time! This makes it very hard to know which threads I've already seen, and which ones I have yet to read. Trying to remember the titles of all the threads I've read isn't going to work, either.

PLEASE bring back the 'visited link' color. It's one of the most basic tools for finding your way around on the web.

Other than that, I *love* the new forums, they're great!

We will address this also. The PHPBB templating and CSS methods are not entirely clear to me right now, so we'll have to play around with it but we'll get it eventually.