A real Atari or an emulator?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. which do you use?

• Only a REAL Atari for me!
    • I use an emulator
    • I use both, but mainly the real thing
    • I use both, but mainly an emulator

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Which do YOU use? Are you a TRUE Atarian or just a luke-warm fan who settles for an emulator?

At the moment, I'm using an emulator, because my 130XE has a funked-up keyboard, and my 65XE seems to have stopped outputting a video signal or something (it comes on, but the screen is just black). And besides, I no longer have any working disk drives, so there isn't much point in trying to use either XE until I get them repaired.

There are some advantages to using an emulator, but I definitely prefer using the real McCoy when possible!

Michael

Well, then you should vote on either choice 3 or 4, but since you prefer the real thing, probably 3, after all, everyone has problems with broken machines from time to time, not your fault. Also, I suggest you invest in an SIO2PC cable and A.P.E software for virtual drives from your PC, when you get your machine(s) fixed or replaced, then you can still use the real McCoy without a real drive and still have all the benefits of a real drive and more.

Edited by Gunstar

I suggest you invest in an SIO2PC cable and A.P.E software for virtual drives from your PC, when you get your machine(s) fixed or replaced, then you can still use the real McCoy without a real drive and still have all the benefits of a real drive and more.

Thanks, I'll try that! And it *is* getting to be Christmas time, so I need to make up my Christmas wish list, anyway. ;)

Michael

Although I use an emulator occasionally, I much prefer to work with my 800XL (now I've got it running again), whether programming or playing games. I still prefer to use 5.25 floppies over virtual discs when I can. Call me a glutton for punishment, but I prefer having my programs load with the familiar noises the 1050 kicks out when loading software.

It kinda depends on where I'm at :P

Same here. At home its the real thing, elsewhere it's going to be an emulator.

Though for the ST, it does turn out that I'll be more likely to use an emulator. The slow disk times, and having to use endless floppies is tiresome. Actually most of the time I use my Amiga 1200 or tricked out CD32 (WHDload ! :cool: ) for 16bit gaming, for those same reasons.

At home I use usualy real Atari. I use emulator at work and sometimes in home (when I want quick view at new products). Lately I dont use emulator often - I quick get soft for my Atari by CF-card (in ATR format and use it on real Ataris via SIO2IDE with CF adapter) ;)

Edited by Sikor

It kinda depends on where I'm at :P

Both for sure. At work the emulator rules (quietly of course), but at home I've got the XEGS hooked up to the projector and home theater and an 800 connected to my PC via both SIO2PC and to the monitor via the VIVO functionality of my video card (sound is not yet integrated). On the road it's the emulator again.

i don't actually have a real Atari here, my 800XL is about 200 miles away with a lot of my other gear. Any code you've seen from me was developed purely in Atari 800 Win using the Xasm cross assembler and the only "real metal" testing was kindly done for me by Heaven.

Since i have three releases (two demos, one game) and more on the way, does that still make me a "luke-warm fan"? =-)

i don't actually have a real Atari here, my 800XL is about 200 miles away with a lot of my other gear. Any code you've seen from me was developed purely in Atari 800 Win using the Xasm cross assembler and the only "real metal" testing was kindly done for me by Heaven.

Since i have three releases (two demos, one game) and more on the way, does that still make me a "luke-warm fan"? =-)

It is strictly a matter of opinion, but to me if you don't go out of your way to own&use the real thing, then yes, you are a luke-warm fan, programmer or not. Especially when your programs being able to work on a real machine are a lower priority, IMHO. But then, programming a machine doesn't necessarily mean your a "#1" fan of the machine anyway, just a fan of programming and maybe of the 6502 or derivative(6510). Your Avatar proves my point. I'd be willing to bet my bottom dollar that you own a real Commodore machine or two. I'd also bet my last dollar that most of the C64 programming you've done was on a real C64. But at least you own an 800XL...

Edited by Gunstar

Due to lack of desk space, mainly the emulator.

I have APE and S-video mods in my 130XE, so would just use it and run the video through my capture card.

Got an XEGS on eBay, so once it has an APE and keyboard extension, would become very usable.

The emulator does virtually everything except reproduce the "look and feel" - and eliminates 99% of the annoying disk waiting and swapping time.

The emulator does virtually everything except reproduce the "look and feel" - and eliminates 99% of the annoying disk waiting and swapping time.

So does SIO2PC. I suppose you'd be satisfied with a blow-up woman too, which gets rid of 99% of the annoying nagging and waiting and swapping time... ;)

Edited by Gunstar

I was using an emulator exclusively until a couple months ago when I finally got the chance to get my Atari 8 stuff out of storage.

The emulator is still useful for "games night", when friends come over and we play "old school" games... The real Ataris are set up in my bedroom, which doesn't have space for that many people, and which doesn't have the 36" TV. At some point I'll be moving a real 800 out there, but I have terrible luck with people spilling drinks in consoles (my 5200 got destroyed this way).

The only other time I've used an emulator lately was to test a demo that needs 128K. I don't have any working machines with upgraded RAM right now.

I'm certainly NOT a luke warm fan - being an Atari 800 owner since 1980 (and yes I STILL have that machine and it works).

Add to that I have a couple of XEGS systems, at least 4 800xl's (last time I looked), a pair of 1200XL's (heavily modified) and a smattering of 130XE's (2 PAL and an NTSC model) - plus all the peripherals you can imagine (Disc drives from 3 eras and 3 manufacturers, several printers, etc) AND hundreds of pieces of orginal software on Disc and Cart.

HOWEVER I use an emulation 99% of the time right now - I don't have the physical space to set up all my toys (remember like lots of folks into old computers I also have a big collection of other stuff - half a dozen ST's of various types, loads of old Nintendo, SEGA, Coleco, Intellivision, several Ti99/4a's. several O2's and all the consoles released (and some not) of the last 2 decades, plus the ensuing vast software collection, and a healthy home network of PC's)...

So my enthusiasm is NOT a factor in the use of emulation - but a reality of my sitauation...

I have no VOTE here, since the skew of this poll is not representative of the realities of passion for the system...

sTeVE

Edited by Jetboot Jack

But then, programming a machine doesn't necessarily mean your a "#1" fan of the machine anyway, just a fan of programming and maybe of the 6502 or derivative(6510).

Oh, so i didn't like the Atari enough to spend several months working out how the video system, display lists and DLIs or the sprite priorities worked because i couldn't get a straight answer here about some of it? What a load of rot. i chose to put that time and effort in because i got my 800XL when i was in my mid teens and didn't have the knowledge at that time to do anything with it, now i have tools to make what i want to do possible - i just wish i had more time. No, i don't run a real machine but i make damned sure my code works on one.

...I don't have the physical space to set up all my toys (remember like lots of folks into old computers I also have a big collection of other stuff - half a dozen ST's of various types, loads of old Nintendo, SEGA, Coleco, Intellivision, several Ti99/4a's. several O2's and all the consoles released (and some not) of the last 2 decades, plus the ensuing vast software collection, and a healthy home network of PC's)...

Same here. I've got tons of computers and systems, but nearly all of them are not out permanently. Just no room to do that.

I'd thought about changing the poll to reflect peoples tastes more, but decided to leave it as-is until Jetboot Jack's reply (and TMR, don't be so sensitive, I was just pushing your buttons and half-joking around). So I'm changing the poll above from what is "mainly" used to what you "prefer" to use, as I do know that sometimes for lack of space or broken machines, etc., many people are using the emulator more. The main reason I started the poll was becuase of the Rally X thread and a difference of opinion in what was used more; the real machine or emulators, becuase it seems the trend for developers (which I do not like at all) is to develop on emulators and little concern regarding the software's compatiblility the real hardware. I will say I'm suprised so far at it basically being torn down the middle as to who seem to prefer the real hardware or not, very suprised and disappointed that so many are satisfied with emulators. But the poll isn't over yet, and at least it shows developers that half of us would still want to play the games on the real hardware which will hopefully encourage them to make sure the software works on real hardware...

Edited by Gunstar

Well, I wanted to add a couple options to the poll for people who use both, but PREFER one to the other, but I can't seem to find how to edit a poll (add catagories to it)...I've seen others do it in the past, so what gives?

Edited by Gunstar

But then, programming a machine doesn't necessarily mean your a "#1" fan of the machine anyway, just a fan of programming and maybe of the 6502 or derivative(6510).

Oh, so i didn't like the Atari enough to spend several months working out how the video system, display lists and DLIs or the sprite priorities worked because i couldn't get a straight answer here about some of it? What a load of rot. i chose to put that time and effort in because i got my 800XL when i was in my mid teens and didn't have the knowledge at that time to do anything with it, now i have tools to make what i want to do possible - i just wish i had more time. No, i don't run a real machine but i make damned sure my code works on one.

I'm glad you make sure your software works on the real thing. I'm sorry I offended you so much. I was half-joking and just pushing your buttons (it slightly offends me when people hang out here and have Commodore-oriented avatars, so I thought I'd make fun). Sorry to disturb you. The luke-warm fandom thing was also meant to be taken half-jokingly too, and it is just my opinion. Don't get so worked up over it, I'm sorry. I'm not suprised though that you have stayed clear of a response to my Commodore-oriented assertions; I must have been pretty close to the mark there...

Edited by Gunstar