IGNORED

-=Virtual Console Game List=-

-^CrossBow^-

The problem isn't the number of games being released on the VC here. It is the fact that we are getting the games that aren't really that classic. Sure the original NES Zelda, Genesis Sonic, and a few others are noteworthy. But comapred to what Japan already has, ( Zelda:LTTP, Castlevania 4, Super Mario World, Gunstar Heroes...etc...), we are getting shafted here in the US. However, I'm not surprised by this...and I don't think anyone really is.

Is there a theory that explains why?

Like, more competition in the Japanese game market, so they have to put out something a little more compelling faster? Or what?

New VC game mondays are to occur throughout December! I wonder if that will mean Christmas will be another VC release day or perhaps a freebie day?

4 new games this week... at least 2 more weeks before Christmas.... this makes me wonder, if they release 4 games next week and the week after, what will the total be at that point? Will that account for the 31 or whatever number that had planned?

However, we can't feel that bad. I heard that Australia and other countries will never have PC Engine/TG-16 games available because those systems were never officially released in those countries. In addition, the Europeans appear to be getting the same line up for VC games that we have, so the US isn't alone on VC games shaftedness...

The PC Engine wasn't released in Europe? I could swear I've bought at least a dozen games for my TG from the UK that I can play with a PCE converter. Does this mean on the US VC we won't get anything other than TG-16 games actually released here? That would blow. The whole point of emulation should be to play any game ever made and released for a console anywhere.

Maybe a dumb question but here goes: I haven't purchased an SD card for my Wii yet; no real need for it so far. But with all the possible VC games I might purchase (plus any demo's that Nintendo may put online in the future) I can see where I might need a SD card to hold everything I download.

Question: does anyone know if you copy VC games to the SD card, can you play the games right off the card (as long as its the same console the games/demo's were downloaded to that the card is inserted in) or do you have to copy them back to the Wii's memory?

If the games/demo's can't be played off the SD card, this could become a pain-in-the-butt to have to constantly copy, delete, copy, delete, copy, delete, etc. to have space on the internal memory to hold everything you download.

Mendon

What happens when you internal memory is filled up? Would you have to swap things out onto SD cards so you can download new games and/or play old downloaded games?

You can save them to your SD card, or delete games and replace them with new ones. I believe that you can re-download games that you have already purchased.

You are all correct. The SD card is simply an archive storage. I have been told that Red Steel gives you the option to load a game from an SD card, but not save to it. Basically for now, all the SD card is good for, is to make backups of your existing channels and game saves. However, not all of the game data can be brought over to an SD card.

As I said in another post...the SD card slot on the Wii has about the same purpose and use that the cart slot on the Saturn had. In that right now there aren't any games that really use the SD card in the Wii. I am sure in the future we will have the option to save and load games from the SD card, but I don't know that the SD cards will ever become included storage.

So for now, if you don't have an SD card and you should happen to fill the internal memory on the Wii. You will have to delete what you no longer need. Game saves...etc. And yes, VC games can be erased from the Wii and then downloaded again at no additional charge.

In answer to Megamanfan's questions. The TG-16 was released in the UK and other parts of Europe. I specifically stated Australia and some other countries would not be getting the PC Engine library because the system was never originally sold or released in Australia. And also, my understanding is that the VC games available for the US and other countries will only be those games that were originally sold in those countries. So if you were hoping that Rondo of Blood was gonna be hitting the VC anytime soon in the US...you are sadly mistaken. I hope they change their mind on this. But last I heard...the only games we are gonna see on the VC here is games that were originally released in North America. This is also the reason why some people have thought about getting Japanese Wii systems. But you would also have to have a Japanese registered IP and such for the entire thing to give you the Japanese VC games list.

What happens when you internal memory is filled up? Would you have to swap things out onto SD cards so you can download new games and/or play old downloaded games?

You can save them to your SD card, or delete games and replace them with new ones. I believe that you can re-download games that you have already purchased.

That's what I figured, but that seems like it will be a huge pain a couple of years down the line, once there is a ton of downloadable content. I don't know if they can change that in firmware or not -- make it possible to download to and execute software from sd cards or usb hard drives.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, i picked up a classic controller , and 2 wii 2000 point cards from best buy today for about 70 bucks ((its with tax...)). On christmas day im planning on dloading the following ((im still debating.. need some help narrowing it down)).

F-Zero

Super Mario Bros

Super Street Fighter

Super Star Solder ((why are things so super....))

Bomberman 93

Victory Run

R-Type

Gunstar Heroes

Sonic the Hedgehog

Ristar

I need to total this up... im probably over my 40 bucks ((how sad..))... and i think thats all of them. Any others i should consider? I figure between the Wii games im getting plus these.. i should be satisfied for a quite a bit..that is until they put Chrono Trigger or god willing Sega Saturn games on VC.

Edited by AtariJr

Dude, don't pay $23.99 for the points cards at Best Buy. TRU has them for $19.99, or you can get 2000 points for $20 directly through the Shop Channel.

oh... damnit. I went there and was suprised when she rung it up, as i did think they were 20... i just figured i heard wrong or something. what a rip. oh well, the sad thing is , best buy is the only place in down ((toys r us included)) that has either the controller or the cards. In fact, the only controllers or cards ive seen was in meijer.. there was one nunchuck sitting next to a 1 gig sd card bellow the games near where the systems would be if they ever had any.

Still, i honestly didnt know you could get the points online.. i thougth you had to buy the card. Next time, too lazy ((and scared)) to drive back there to return them on christmas eve.

Yeap...I need to add about 3000 points tonight to have ready for late morning tomorrow.

If Nintendo's press release is to be believed, and I see no reason it wouldn't be. Then tomorrow will be a very nice VC release day.

Super Mario Bros.

Super Castlevania IV

ToeJam and Earl

R-Type...

Those alone are planned purchases for me...

Anybody else who added vc@darkain.com to their address book not get any VC updates? They were promised if you did but so far the only updates I ever see is Crossbow's thread right here.

I get the updates every week.

Bizarre. Did you just add it to the address book too, or do you have to send an e-mail message from another computer with your Wii code to get it activated?

Updated again...but I have to ask...

800 Points for R-Type?!? WTF?

Well...I was stupid and ponied it up anyway. I know that getting that game for my actual TG-16 would cost me more...but still. I was hoping all the games were at set prices...but as R-type shows...Nintendo can charge anything they want for the games.

errrr....

Uh, Super NES Street Fighter II. The first version of the game, without the speed enhancements, the extra moves, or the four playable boss characters. That's a pretty hard sell when Street Fighter II Turbo on the Xbox 360 has all of this, plus arcade-quality graphics, plus online play.

As for the Scrooge-esque price increase on Turbografx-16 games, well, that's rather disappointing. I wasn't expecting Nintendo to give anything AWAY this Christmas, but I didn't think they'd take the opposite approach and raise prices through the roof either. You might want to think very carefully before raising prices again, guys... players are getting a lot more for their money on Xbox Live Arcade.

JR