IGNORED

-=Virtual Console Game List=-

-^CrossBow^-

I have yet to buy a single VC game.. I mean it just doesn't seem worth it yet.

Well, like with a lot of other gaming, for me the value mostly comes in the multiplayer options.

Sure a lot of this stuff you can get through less legal means, but this is a nice way to get some old stuff to go head to head on your nicest tv...

For me the convience factor is great! I love playing to R-type and then when I'm tired of having my butt handed to me, I can click on the Home button and go back to the Wii menu. Then play some Toe Jam and Earl for a bit. I decide I want to get back to some good old platforming goodness, I can go back to the home menu and then play some Super Mario Bros.

And I never had to get out of bed or change controllers...

Updated list for Jan. 29, 2007. - We got 2 excellent games and 2 really decent games.

I plan on picking up Contra III and Comix Zone myself. Maybe grab Mario Kart 64 at a later time, but I currently have Mario Kart DD in my Wii already...heh

Enjoy...

Well, like with a lot of other gaming, for me the value mostly comes in the multiplayer options.

Sure a lot of this stuff you can get through less legal means, but this is a nice way to get some old stuff to go head to head on your nicest tv...

Well actually what I meant is that, being an avid (and old) gaming enthusiast, the truth is.. I've played every single title offered to death!

Crossbow says an interesting scenario above (and yeah, his description can funnily be applied to the modded xbox thing, but that's another story). But he mentions R-Type. I've only finished the arcade game multiple times. The SMS version dozens of times, and the TG16 version a couple thousand times. (both carts which I bought new at full price) So yeah when I say it doesn't feel worth it, I mean I'm thinking... "do I really need to buy R-type again, a game I've played and finished a bazillion times and know every nook and crannie"?

Contra III. Bought new. Finished a bazillion times. Comix Zone. Finished in the Genesis days.

Super Mario Bros. Bought several versions of it (GBC,GBA,Famicom,SNES remake, etc.) And I'm sure like most everyone else out there like me, has finished a bazillion times.

That's what I mean by "worth it" :P I mean I've even played Victory Run to death. Yeah I'm a sick addict. :lol: Dungeon Explorer? Heck yeah I even figured out that crazy ending trick where you're invincible and sit on the kings throne and it gives you a message to get some women. I can keep going on...

Anyway, now when a VC game comes out I havent spent much time on, and isn't mediocre... yeah I'll get it :)

Updated list for Jan. 29, 2007. - We got 2 excellent games and 2 really decent games.

I was really hoping to see Donkey Kong Country today. :sad:

It's my daughter's favorite game and she was so excited when I told her that I saw in Nintendo Power that it would be coming to the Virtual Console. What a bummer, I wonder when that title will be released?

STMOA:

That and also Super Mario World were mentioned as possible releases for today.

Thing is..all the gaming mags actually get their news a month prior to when they are reporting about it. So unfortunately, that means in this case, even Nintendo power got hit by Nintendo's corps deciding to change the game release line up for today.

I still don't have the games avail yet to download on my VC. But I got the news from Nintendos own press release site.

I have yet to buy a single VC game.. I mean it just doesn't seem worth it yet...

...Well actually what I meant is that, being an avid (and old) gaming enthusiast, the truth is.. I've played every single title offered to death!

I ended up getting NES Zelda and NES Super Mario Bros. But yeah it's a funny thing when many of us own "the real thing" to pony up for the same games again...

I just beat NES Zelda again and am working on SMB (which while I have about half of the secrets memorized, I have never beaten). While I don't see myself getting many of these I am digging the interrupt save and playing NES with a wireless controller on the big TV without having to hook anything else up...

Cheers,

Ben

woot, contra III, comic zone and mario kart 64... already have half the games im buying too.. but , not being able to have every system here at college, im rebuying games for the convineincce of it to all be on one system.. im falling behind, i need those three plus zelda link to the past, star soldier, and gunstar hereos still.. guh.. i dont think i can get all those even with 2 wii points cards :(.. damn that will be what.. 5 cards so far..

Me either and I've had points on the account since Xmas.

Looks like I might have to browse the available titles again though, it appears that they might have games I don't already have 5 copies of.

I hardly have time to play the disk games, much less VC games. Same goes with XBox Live Arcade...I bought Geometry Wars, but have yet to pick up another title due to time constraints.

I suppose picking up one title and playing it through bit by bit wouldn't be so bad, but most of my short term gaming goes to my atari systems. Maybe after I get bored with all of the homebrews I got during the Xmas sale I'll play more downladables on my current gen systems.

I finally bought two games last night. I bought BomberMan 93 and Mario Kart64. I had some friends come down to my dorm room and we had a blast! It was much simpler than having to setup my computer to my television and gather enough USB adapters to use standard console controllers. These two games are worth downloading. Everything else to me, meh.

I bought BomberMan 93 and Mario Kart64.

Did you use GCN controllers or classic controllers? I'm curious how well the GCN controllers work for N64 games as the controller design is fundamentally different. In particular, the Z button on the GCN controller is practically inaccessible and triggered with the wrong hand. Did that bother you guys at all, or did it work out okay?

I bought BomberMan 93 and Mario Kart64.

Did you use GCN controllers or classic controllers? I'm curious how well the GCN controllers work for N64 games as the controller design is fundamentally different. In particular, the Z button on the GCN controller is practically inaccessible and triggered with the wrong hand. Did that bother you guys at all, or did it work out okay?

In Mario Kart 64 with a GCN controller, they've remapped the buttons so that N64 Z is now L and N64 L is Z. So basically, Z toggles music and L is weapon and everything else is the same. X and Y I think become other shoot buttons. It works rather well I think. Much better than the Classic, which I am finding I like best for SNES and Genesis games.

WHAT?! Gunstar Heroes not worth the money?! Blasphemy!

Seriously though, the game still holds up marvelously after nearly fifteen years... and with a component cable, it's never looked better. It's one of those rare opportunities when it's actually worth buying a game twice.

JR

WHAT?! Gunstar Heroes not worth the money?! Blasphemy!

Seriously though, the game still holds up marvelously after nearly fifteen years... and with a component cable, it's never looked better. It's one of those rare opportunities when it's actually worth buying a game twice.

JR

Gunstar Heroes is definitely worth the money...

But again, you have got to realize how many times I've gone through and played that game since I bought it at launch. It's a lot! :lol: I've played the game to death and I still play and finish the game at least once a year... and it's been like 13 years. Even via emulation I came up with all sorts of cheats to exploit and explore the game. There's just zero surprises left after completing it what must be a hundred times. Yes, I am sick like that :P

I'm sure it looks great w/ component. But it's kind of like a favorite book you've read. And you like it so much that you read it cover to cover at least once a year and know sections by heart. Then you get the opportunity to buy the pdf of it with nicer font. Been there, done that. Love the book, wouldn't pay to read it again. :)

I can see your point of view. I haven't played Gunstar Heroes enough to know it like the back of my hand... usually, I just fire it up in an emulator, play it for fifteen minutes, then turn it off and do something else. Emulators have a tendency to awaken the ADD gene in you... there are so many games they can play that you never stick with a single one for very long.

At any rate, I hope Nintendo gets its head out of its region-locked ass and starts offering Virtual Console games we've never seen on these shores. I would dearly love to see a US release of Treasure's last Nintendo 64 game Sin and Punishment... I'm still not sure why the hell that game was left in Japan.

JR

I finally bought two games last night. I bought BomberMan 93 and Mario Kart64. I had some friends come down to my dorm room and we had a blast! It was much simpler than having to setup my computer to my television and gather enough USB adapters to use standard console controllers. These two games are worth downloading. Everything else to me, meh.

everything else meh????

im coming over to your house now to bitch slap you for not dloading street fighter 2.. hold on.. ill be there in a few hours. :D

At any rate, I hope Nintendo gets its head out of its region-locked ass and starts offering Virtual Console games we've never seen on these shores.

Agreed, but my hope would be for things like Fire Emblem, Bahamut Lagoon, Front Mission, and things like that (Although it's more likely that Square would just port the last two to the GBA and price then at $40 rather than offer them on a download service for $8).

Doesn't matter, I thought I read back before the Wii was even released, that Nintendo stated clearly that the only titles to come out on the VC would be those originally released in the country your Wii is set to. So Rondo of Blood and other only Jap/Euro releases will likely never see a release to the VC here in the states.

I suppose Nintendo could always change this, but I'm sure it must have something to do with licensing.