IGNORED

FC Twin. Interesting.

Didn't you post something negative in the other FC Twin thread? OH yeah.. ya did.

I own more game stuff than I have space inside for. I OWN many, many consoles. I don't need to spend money on an SNES, I have 4 , I don't need to blow money on an NES, I have 5, nor on an Atari 2600, I have 6 consoles... get the drift?

Some people like to goof off and experiment. This is interesting enough to take a look at.

You chime in on just about every clone thread. As far as I know, this is relatively new, and not many people have experience with them. My turn to add a little something to the community via some feedback.

Other people have bought clones for the sake of checking them out.

Or something.

I have the right to satidfy my curiosity, on anything, without getting derisive comments made about it.

Game stores sell these things now (more or less... the NES clones, the Famiclones, and now the FC Twin from what I have read).

They might be a viable product to carry at some point in time when I get my shop started up (long term goal)... I'd like to see the progress on the clone stuff a bit more firsthand. The only clones I own are a N64 controller type which was a gift, and a Micro Genius IQ-501, which is a fairly old machine if my readings are correct. Although, being that classic games do still enjoy an audience, I don't see why Nintendo doesn't make budget repros of their own stuff? It might not be economically viable for them on a large scale... that's my guess. The Virtual Console is a step (somewhat) in that direction, but it seems more like an interesting afterthought.

You chime in on just about every clone thread.

I think Jagasian was once savagely attacked in a dark alley by a wild pack of NES clones. :P

That's not funny... I've got a cousin that lost an arm to Famiclones. They're vicious if you wander into their territory.

Edited by JB

You chime in on just about every clone thread.

I think Jagasian was once savagely attacked in a dark alley by a wild pack of NES clones. :P

That's not funny... I've got a cousin that lost an arm to Famiclones. They're vicious if you wander into their territory.

Just remember to keep a Castlevania III on you at all times for protection, they really seem to hate those.

Edited by Mark III

Why not buy a perfectly working official Nintendo made SNES on Ebay, as opposed to a more expensive clone that doesn't play every SNES game correctly?

I have to admit that was my thought as well. I mean, NES clones make sense. The NES hardware is basically flawed and causes many blinking screens unless you take the time to do some repairs. I can totally see how "More Reliable NES system" sells, despite the compatibility issues.

However, I don't really see why clone SNES systems are really needed at all. Snes's aren't hard to find generally, and they rarely die or have problems running games. Even with 100% accuraccy, it just seems like an odd thing to bother manufacturing.

With that said, they're neat looking and I want one.

With that said, they're neat looking and I want one.

There definitely is something cool about this:

post-5887-1166051669_thumb.jpg

Not to mention I can't get enough tech gadgets. :D

Also, I never saw Chrono Trigger and don't have one, but I do have a handy flash card. The sounds sounded reasonable to me, and this looks like exactly the type of RPG I don't want to play and never want to see again. :lol:

I'll have to try it on a regular SNES for comparison and see if I hear a difference.

Well, if it helps I'll put my two cents/two pence in.

I went to the local vintage game shop outside of Flea World here in the Orlando region (those down here know of S&F Videogames). I saw this system and was curious about its NES compatibility. I asked the owners (a very friendly and surprisingly game-minded elderly couple) to pop in the Tengen "gauntlet" cartridge to test the NES capabilities.

To my dismay, nothing changed on the NES side I'm afraid. The game was still glitched as hell (like how the emulators back in the day were), and though they said it was "because of the unlicensed cartridge version" I'm going to have to buy an official NES at Flea World this weekend to prove a point.

Though interestingly enough, Gauntlet II played the PCM digital samples ("WELCOME, RED WARRIOR!!") just fine.

Have you played many of the Tengen carts on it? How do they fare?

Yes, I posted some brief results in the third latest FC thread. Overall it still fares better than my Messiah NEX, so I'm happy :)

I'll copy it here:

On the NES side:

Castlevania 3 does not work (no video)

Gauntlet runs, but is horribly bugged - walking through walls etc.

Afterburner runs, but is missing the backgrounds.

A couple other Tengen titles do not run at all - Rolling Thunder being one.

Zelda looked fine on initial test, though I understand the problem is supposed to be on a map? Can anyone elaborate, I'll check it out.

On the SNES side I've tested the following (all good):

Out of this World

Doom

Dungeon Master

Eye of the Beholder

Super Game Boy

Toto-Tek SNES Flash cart

Also, I never saw Chrono Trigger and don't have one, but I do have a handy flash card. The sounds sounded reasonable to me, and this looks like exactly the type of RPG I don't want to play and never want to see again. :lol:

Awww...

I recommend running through it just for the soundtrack, personally. It's got some really nice pieces in it.

However, I don't really see why clone SNES systems are really needed at all. Snes's aren't hard to find generally

They're not hard to find... without the power supply. And that plug is about as weird as you can get and still be a coaxial plug. I've found many more Atari 7800 power supplies over my years thrifting than I have SNES power supplies.

This is pretty much the equivalent of my SNES/TriStar combo, only without the need for cardboard shims to keep it properly spaced. It means one less system that you have to hook up to a multi-AV switch or provide power for. I don't even bother with a real NES because the protection chip is a pain in the butt with older units, and I don't care about gun games. It might be nice if I could get the Arkanoid controller to work, but I think it uses one of those inputs that's not on the SNES controller port.