IGNORED

Dumbest thing anyone said about the next gen.

Atarifever

Another bunch of whiners are saying that Microsoft promised 100% backwards compatibility between the XBOX and the XBOX 360. The company never promised anything like that, and in fact kept their announcement about *any* backwards compatibility between these different architectures a secret until right before the newer system launched.

Now there's a really good one! And those individuals involved will still insist that Microsoft has lied to them and done everyone wrong - despite their argument having no basis in reality! :lol:

And yeah, thinking Nintendo would give away for free all their (and everyone else's) back catalog IP is quite funny as well.

"I think the Wii is going to win the Third Generation of console wars."

Everybody has their own way of classifying game systems. I wouldn't call the current batch "3rd generation", but I'm sure my classifications would still not mesh with everybody else's. It's mostly arbitrary.

If somebody said "3rd generation Playstations", then I'd agree with that. The PS1 started the current era in my mind.

What's the dumbest thing you've heard someone say about the next gen to this point

1.) That the Wii is more powerful than the original XBOX.

2.) That the 20GB model PS3 won't have a HDMI port.

3.) That the DS is as powerful as a N64.

4.) That the PSP is just like a PS2.

5.) That the 360 (decked out), is cheaper than the PS3.

100388663.) That the PS3 will play Saturn games.

It's right next to the Pepsi machine that dispenses cans of Coke.

Actually, I use "coke" and "pepsi" interchangeably. They're both colas with zero difference in my opinion. I mean, differentiating them is exactly what they spend millions to have you do, so why do it? :D

Actually, I use "coke" and "pepsi" interchangeably. They're both colas with zero difference in my opinion. I mean, differentiating them is exactly what they spend millions to have you do, so why do it? :D

I usually choose Coke because I like the advertising better (Pepsi's commercials are always 'look how lame Coke is. Pepsi roxors your face off', which is really lame), but I don't actually care which one I get. I was just pointing out how silly it is to think Sony would be selling Nintendo systems. Well these days anyway. The Gemini and 2600 Colecovision adaptor could be fresh in her mind somhow I suppose.

Because Pepsi's a LOT sweeter?

I've never understood that argument, because Pepsi never seemed sweeter than Coke to my taste buds. But then, I'm a Dr Pepper kind of guy. :P

The stupidest thing I tend to hear is that the a next generation console will have complete backward compatability. Only the Wii looks to be fully compatible, mainly due to the fact that it's essentially a GameCube with a faster processor.

The stupidest thing I tend to hear is that the a next generation console will have complete backward compatability. Only the Wii looks to be fully compatible, mainly due to the fact that it's essentially a GameCube with a faster processor.

Bummer for the other systems... a lot of people really appreciate that, from fanboys who have old libraries (though maybe they don't mind keep the retrohardware on hand) to casual fans, some of whom take it for granted...

There might actually be fewer dumb things said about this generation, than say the PS2 one...between the Emotion Engine and the ever-elusive living room hub idea...

That is exactly what I was thinking. Pepsi is so sweet I can't finish one without upsetting my stomach.

Second place has to be the guy working at an EB I was in a few months ago. He claimed that the Wii would win the next generation war because you could download every NES, SNES, Genesis, and N64 game ever made on it for free. Talk about misinformed on several levels.

You will be able to....

...Just not from Nintendo.

:D

So far this http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=97949 is the dumbest thing I've read about the next gen.

I don't get it.

What's to get?

I see what you mean. Your comment was pretty stupid.

Oh jbanes what would I do without you? So I'm the only one who thought "crysis is the only next gen game" was stupid? Alright then.

Next-gen, but not the *current* next-gen:

Back in the Genesis/SNES days, my mom was with me in Babbage's and she noticed the new Neo-Geo boxes proudly displayed behind the checkout counter. She was shocked at the price ($650) and asked the guy working there essentially when the madness would end. The guy working there then started bragging about the specs and declared that it would be the last game system anybody would need to buy. This was it - the final game system.

Next-gen, but not the *current* next-gen:

Back in the Genesis/SNES days, my mom was with me in Babbage's and she noticed the new Neo-Geo boxes proudly displayed behind the checkout counter. She was shocked at the price ($650) and asked the guy working there essentially when the madness would end. The guy working there then started bragging about the specs and declared that it would be the last game system anybody would need to buy. This was it - the final game system.

Obviously that was kind a dumb thing to say, that there's far more innovation and gameplay on the other consoles, and new cheaper consoles will be coming out.

BUT -- given the amazingly long run of that system, he was *much* less wrong than he would have been about *any* other console that decade, from SNES to 3D0 to...pretty much anything...

So far this http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=97949 is the dumbest thing I've read about the next gen.

I don't get it.

What's to get?

I see what you mean. Your comment was pretty stupid.

Oh jbanes what would I do without you? So I'm the only one who thought "crysis is the only next gen game" was stupid? Alright then.

Well, obviously it was a figure of speech, right? That the writer thought it was a game so far beyond the other next gen offerings that it paractically constituted a new gen. Probably a silly bit of hyperbole, but pretty distant from being the dumbest thing said.

I supose there was something about the PC vs console thing to, which was what I really "didn't get", being too lazy to look up what platforms it was expected on.

Well, obviously it was a figure of speech, right? That the writer thought it was a game so far beyond the other next gen offerings that it paractically constituted a new gen

When reading his post you don't get the slightest tremor of wit in his post so he wasn't using figures of speech. He really thought that Crysis was the only game worthy of next gen praise.

Well, obviously it was a figure of speech, right? That the writer thought it was a game so far beyond the other next gen offerings that it paractically constituted a new gen

When reading his post you don't get the slightest tremor of wit in his post so he wasn't using figures of speech. He really thought that Crysis was the only game worthy of next gen praise.

hole.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I was talking to somebody I knew about how many processors the PS3 has. And this guy (thinks he knows alot about this kinda stuff) says,"Having any number of dual core processors is like dividing the processors in 1/2 and only using 1/4 of that 1/2, therefore making the PS3's processor about as fast as a Pentium 2, not considering that most games only use one of the processors anyway." My first thought is, Dude do you even know what a dual core processor is.

-Derek