IGNORED

Kickman / Kick for Atari 2600? Please?

ActionGeek

I love this game (don't really know why). Seems like a book on classic games was released or was supposed to be relesed 4 or 5 years ago and was going to include this game as a 2600 game. Anyway, I got tired of waiting and bought the arcade version off ebay for a great price. I would still love it on a 2600 cart.

i thought someone was coding it for a book or something also???

Yes Mike Mika was planning on doing this for a book on programming the 2600. He had a working kernel too but apparently didn't have the time to finish it. Maybe he'll pick it up again in the future.

Recently Manuel has been discussing this in his blog a bit.

Check out...

Discussing a Kickman Kernel

A Kickman Kernel...

Another Kickman Kernel

Colony 7 delayed / Kickman PD

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

If I remember correctly this was advertised on one of those "coming soon" flyers I think...

Not to rub it in but I have a Kickman right in front of me in my living room in great shape! If anyone lives near me and would be interested in it I'd be open to offers. I love the game but I've played it so much that I've kinda burnt myself out on it.

I'd love to see it on the 2600 as well though... and I'd also be another guaranteed customer!

I remember talking with Mike about this at CGE 2002 or 03, as I recall. He said he had a stable working ROM, but it was fairly ugly. He was going to be doing clean-up, but that was all that was needed. But that conversation was 5-6 years ago, so my memories may be faulty. But I recall that 2600 Kickman was a project he was fairly passionate about.

I agree... always a favorite game of mine. I love the C64 version. Almost bought an arcade machine once (someone beat me to it). If done well, would be one of my favorite 2600 games, no doubt. Would buy in a heartbeat.

Great C64 game, and I bet a great 2600 version could be done, if not already.

A 2600 Kickman would be awesome. I played it a bunch on the C64, and there was one amongst the games at the skating rink I used to go to as a kid and I played tons of it. I also played the Eight Ball pinball machine they had a lot, and anything else they had, too... the skating rink was the place to go hang out when I was in about the 5th grade, but I always sucked at roller skating. So I just basically put on some skates and hung out/played video games.

There was a great version of this game for the Atari 800 called Pinhead. It was excellent. It used the joystick, however, and maybe the paddles. Some Atari 800 games seemed open to both kinds of controllers. I think Chicken by Synapse was also similar for the 800. But Pinhead was the exact same game as Kickman in the arcade. Great game. I'd love to get it for the 2600. And if Manuel does it, you know it will be good.