IGNORED

Kickman / Kick for Atari 2600? Please?

ActionGeek

Ummm... in case you didn't notice, the Atarimania page linked to above contains a ROM download for this... so you can check it out for yourself.

According to Atarimania "Although finished, this game was never released."

Is this true? That would be killer if it was! Then we would just have to hope someone comes across it somwhow.

Ummm... in case you didn't notice, the Atarimania page linked to above contains a ROM download for this... so you can check it out for yourself.

According to Atarimania "Although finished, this game was never released."

Is this true? That would be killer if it was! Then we would just have to hope someone comes across it somwhow.

There's no ROM download for the 2600 version...

I remember the game was planned but cancelled for the 2600 according to AtariProtos.com. I'd love to see that game put out anyway. I used to play the arcade game in Showbiz Pizza years ago.

What's more, I wouldn't mind seeing a 7800 version too. I even make a thread about that sometime ago.

• 3 months later...

Alright. Attached is my old old old Kickman ROM. If I had to rate this on the completion scale, it's 1%. I had big plans but then my day job just got in the way. Classic story.

This does not seem to run fine in Stella, and on Z26 it has the wrong palette. Runs fine on my real 2600 though.

I make games pretty iteratively, so this was my sketching out of at least one way to approach the game. Note: I stole the font straight from Gorf from CBS because I was originally going to "leak the proto" around April first a few years ago. I figured if I followed the CBS game structure, it would make it harder to judge as a hoax.

You are warned, it is REALLY ugly. I was planning on upping the resolution of the sprites. And please, I know it is rubbish - no need to tell me. ;) The sound is atrocious, it was barely a first pass.

Hopefully this gives some closure to at least my branch of the Kickman lore! :)

Oh! Controls: reset to start, I think I had some kind of difficulty ramping already started for game type (Select). Button kicks. This might not be the last version, because I did fix the balloons to drop from teh correct position and retain their bitmap image instead of switching to a missile. Hmm.... Ugh.

kickman.bin

Edited by MikeMika

Alright. Attached is my old old old Kickman ROM. If I had to rate this on the completion scale, it's 1%. I had big plans but then my day job just got in the way. Classic story.

This does not seem to run fine in Stella, and on Z26 it has the wrong palette. Runs fine on my real 2600 though.

In Stella, the scanline count alternates from 31 to 291. That's what's causing the slowdown and flickering. It's probably a vsync or wsync issue in Stella, which I'm working on fixing for the next release.

Alright. Attached is my old old old Kickman ROM.

Thank you very much for sharing this very interesting piece of Atari history with everyone. It looks quite promising. I'm certain it will reach completion at some time in the near future.

@stephana: Yeah, it wasn't cleaned up at all on my part. Stella works great, it's just the way I assembled this version of the ROM. I'm trying to find a later version because a lot of that was fixed. :(

I was doing a bit of testing, and it seems the reason for the misbehaviour in Stella is because it autodetects the ROM as NTSC when it is in fact PAL. When I force to PAL mode, it works fine in Stella as well (but seems to use the wrong colours; I also have to force to NTSC50 palette). It's happening because the ROM runs the startup screen at 240 scanlines, and then switches to 322 in-game. However, Stella uses the first 60 frames to determine whether it's NTSC or PAL, and looks at the scanline count to do so. So it thinks it's an NTSC ROM. I'm going to fix this for a future release, to also consider the first scanline, and not just the number of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for checking, Al. I got all excited a while ago after seeing Man Goes Down (I think that's the game) - it was slick and got me inspired, so I started fixing up Kickman finally. I wanted to get the Pac-Man balloons in, but I got slogged down in re-writing the kernal. I'll give another look this weekend. I've probably consolidated drives and machines a few times since then. Just gotta get the search engine rolling. ;) I need to find it to convince myself I'm not crazy.

Last look was fruitful! I did find my Gunsmoke GBC rom (Digital Eclipse/Capcom), my Euro Klax Rom (2600 Adventure hidden in it and a proposal to my wife ;), and some other odd bits and bobs.

I think I also found the prototype Atari ST Ballblazer that Tim Mensch and Dan Filner did for LucasArts. That's a keeper! I need to dig more often!

Mike

• 10 years later...