IGNORED

Top 5 homebrews?

courtesi

Sometimes what's hot is a matter of what videogame genre you enjoy the most. A great puzzle game, for example, just won't appeal to people who don't like puzzle games. So even with "good" games, you'll get widely varied opinions.

That said, I've written reviews of 27 homebrew games so far. Hope they're of some help.

Reviews part 1

Reviews part 2

Reviews part 3

Reviews part 4

Reviews part 5

Reviews part 6

Reviews part 7

Reviews part 8

These only cover games I have in cartridge form - not ones I've played in emulation.

These reviews (and many others) are in the AA store, too. It'd be nice if more people wrote reviews when they bought homebrews. Some of this stuff had been in the store for nearly two years, and there were no reviews for them.

If I had to pick just five (including ones shown in the recent teaser thread), they'd be:

• Reindeer Rescue (yes I'm biased, but it's still a fun game)
  • Lady Bug (probably the best arcade port for the 2600)
  • Thrust (this is running on a 2600??)
  • Strat-O-Gems Deluxe (cool puzzle game)
  • Star Fire (awesome arcade game)

Also deserving of being in the top five, if ties were allowed:

• Fall Down (one of the best head-to-head games)
  • SeaWolf (another great arcade classic)

It's almost impossible to pick just five.

I suspect Medieval Mayhem is coming out soon, and if so, that's a must-have.

Sometimes what's hot is a matter of what videogame genre you enjoy the most. A great puzzle game, for example, just won't appeal to people who don't like puzzle games. So even with "good" games, you'll get widely varied opinions.

That's very true. For instance the newly released Four Play is a great game - but if you're not into Connect 4, you wouldn't like it no matter how well it's done.

I've got a bunch of homebrews, but for top honors (among those I have) are: Thrust+, Seawolf and Lady Bug. Some of the best of the best :cool:

I suspect Medieval Mayhem is coming out soon, and if so, that's a must-have.

Thank you :)

The release has been set back a few days, espire8 had to rebuild his XP system after a bad system crash last weekend. Gotta love windows, not. :ponder:

I expect to have the coding of the animation sequences done by Sunday evening(I have company in tomorrow). I'm hoping it hits the store next week.

Edited by SpiceWare

I'm gonna agree with Nathan here. Its impossible to narrow it down to 5. For the mostpart, all of the homebrews are top-notch. Its not like back in 83 when more than half the games being released were crap.

Some of my favorites that I own in no paticular order:

Star Fire

Seawolf

Thrust+

StratOGems Deluxe

Crazy Balloon

Vault Assault

Gunfight

IMHO Lady Bug and Medieval Mayhem are must haves as well. I havn't bought them yet (waiting on the annual AA holiday sale) but I do play them regularly on my Kroko Cart. Two of the best 2600 games ever without a doubt. I recently picked Lady Bug as the best arcade conversion ever for the 2600.

Edited by Lord Helmet

According to the "Top 100 2600 games of all time" thread, they are:

1. Oystron (37 points, 11 votes, 5 first place votes)

1. Star Fire (37 points, 9 votes, 4 first place votes)

3. Thrust+ (34 points, 9 votes, 3 first place votes)

4. Qb (32 points, 9 votes, 4 first place votes)

5. Fall Down (31 points, 8 votes, 3 first place votes)

Of the games I bought I really love Fall Down and Go Fish!

Thrust+ is impressive but also frustrating so I don't play it as much. But if you want a challenge and impressive GFX, get it

Conquest Of Mars is really great and simple and fun

Gunfight is awesome if you have someone to play against but I don't really play it all that much alone

Oystron for some reason, I bought and never played so I can't comment. I don't know why because it seems like a kick ass game. I think I liked it in emulation way back and bought it based on that. I need to give it more time. You end up buying too many at once and you don't play any of them from being overwhelmed.

Warring Worms, I didn't play all that much. Bought it for the 2 player simultaneous option and never really tried it out, still waiting for someone to come over :(

Reindeer Rescue is simple and brilliant and I'm sure the ladies would love it.

There's a few more I have but I can't remember. And a few more I still need. Strat-O-Gems, Skeleton+.....

Try out the roms and see what you like. And go from there.

Oh, and Lady Bug is brilliant. I never liked the arcade game but the 2600 version is really nice. And the seizures it induces...awww yeah...... :)

Edited by godzillajoe