IGNORED

To go US or Japanese Wii?

Nick Harlow

Honestly, I'd get a Japanese model. The US machine will not get as many releases as the Japanese version, since they have a love of really quirky and oddball games that usually don't get a US or European release. It will be a difficult thing to use, without knowledge of Kanji (I think that's the name of the textual Japanese language, or at least one of them), but there will be a bigger selection of titles in comparison to the US version.

I plan to wait for the UK released version. Yeah have to wait a whole week I know :) and possibly longer for some title releases but then I am not too fussed and love not having to faff about with games I can get. IE Jap I assume quite a lot of games would contain Kanj text or Japanese spoken word, so rendering huge chunks of my fave genre pointless.. and irritating the crap out of me.

US I spose is OK, but if there are issues with region locking, then it's a case of importing all the games which would do my head in. I am happy to just put up with what us poor UK folks get.. I don't have much time to play on my consoles as it is.. Plus I would also be cautious as I have a UK Gamecube and want to be able to play my UK games on the Wii..

Wonder if the online game store thing for the back catalogue will be region specific too ????

Hello Nick,

I too will be waiting for a UK Wii, as I have quite a large library of PAL Gamecube titles, European and English.

Of the Japanese or US Wii units to choose, I would thus have to consider the question in light of this. Clearly it

is quite easy, and now cheap to collect popular USA Gamecube games, and should be easy to get USA Wii ones.

However, I cannot see that there are really titles released in the USA which will be not released in the PAL region

too, so the missing titles would be Japanese ones, so pre-supposing owning 2 Wii's, the second could be Japanese!

Nintendo said downloads and services are also region specific, but only region specific based on the console region.

Whatever you buy, I hope you'll have fun with it, and remember, don't over exert yourself on those sports fields. :)

Cheers,

JustClaws.

Wait and get a European one... or get an american one. Just becuase many games will be really hard to understand with kanji. I know that you will have some cool japanese games to play, but i mean.. hwo wants to play zelda and not know the story thats going on, get my drift?

Also, importing costs are really high, usually 10-20 above retail in the country they reside in... just wait for your own release.. its my opinion.

Supposedly quite a few virtual console games will be available for the Japanese

Wii that aren't likely to make it to the US. There are a lot of good Japan-only

NES and SNES games that will probably make it to the virtual console in Japan

but not here. I'm tempted to get a Japanese Wii excepy for the import costs and

that I'd then not be able to pick up cheap US Wii games in a year or two as they

become greatest hits-type markdowns. I wonder if Wii points are region specific...

Supposedly quite a few virtual console games will be available for the Japanese

Wii that aren't likely to make it to the US.

A Japanese Wii isn't going to enable you to get those.

A Japanese IP address combined with a Japanese credit card (with a Japanese billing address) will.

Um I doubt that would work, it assumes IP's are always regional :)

What about people who have moved to Japan and lived there but are actualy foriegn nationals? I am sure Nintendo will want their money just as much. I think the store will just check the setting on the Wii.. it's the easiest and most accurate way.