IGNORED

PAL Console - NTSC carts - no sound

Pyjamarama

Hi I have recently bought a 2600 junior PAL console (just like the one I had when I was a kid).

I have also bought some cartridges.

But I think they are NTSC :(

I compared E.T and I get completeley different colours in my console and in my PC Emulator(Stella)

But colour differences are expected when playing different region carts I think..

My main problem is that I have NO SOUND!!! :(

I tried 3 carts and I dont get sound from any of them.Unfortunately I do not have any PAL cart to test...

Can the region incompatibility be blammed for this?

If not,what may cause such a thing??

Thanx in advance!!

I am living in Greece (Europe). My TV set is a 4 years old Sony 29' 50/60Hz.It has no problem with NTSC display.

The only thing that I am afraid is if my 2600 is broken.

I cannot find a document to state that my lack of sound may be caused by the PAL-NTSC incompatibility

Unfortynately the hack seems too dificult for me.. :(

If u have any clues about the sound plz let me know

thanx!

I am living in Greece (Europe). My TV set is a 4 years old Sony 29' 50/60Hz.It has no problem with NTSC display.

The only thing that I am afraid is if my 2600 is broken.

I cannot find a document to state that my lack of sound may be caused by the PAL-NTSC incompatibility

Unfortynately the hack seems too dificult for me.. :(

If u have any clues about the sound plz let me know

thanx!

Sound really shouldn´t be a problem. Colors, yes, but sound, no

I have had 12 different PAL 2600 consoles (3 or 4 Jr.) and have never had sound issues with NTSC games.

Beg, borrow, or steal a copy of PAL game and try it. I also think that the problem is with console and not with the TV. A PAL console is supposed to output all 3 signals (luma, chroma, and sound) on the correct PAL carrier frequency regardless of if you used NTSC or PAL cart.

It could also be a touchy TV as well. But more likely a bad 2600.

My opinion: Incorrect (or rather, correct) automatic detection by a modern multi-standard TV of an NTSC signal (generated by the cartridge), therefore it is expecting the audio at the wrong frequency. An NTSC 2600 cartridge will produce something similar to an NTSC 525-line, 30 Hz (really ~262 lines at about 60 Hz, non-interlaced) display regardless of what console it's used in. But a PAL console will only put the audio on the PAL frequency, so you have in effect an incorrectly formatted signal with video in one format and audio in the other. If you have a way to force the TV to receive as PAL only, you may get the audio to come through (but the colors will be wrong or missing). If you can not get sound from an NTSC cartridge, definitely try the console with a known PAL cartridge before you decide that it's broken. Another good idea would be to test the console with an older TV that is definitely PAL-only. Most TVs sold in Europe these days are multi-standard, even though some of them have no mention of it in their manuals.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

Where did you get the console and the games? There are different versions of the PAL standard throughout Europe and the world. In the UK they use PAL-I for example while we in Germany use PAL-B. The main difference between the different version of PAL in Europe is the sound carrier frequency. I think Greece also uses PAL-B. So if you got the console from the UK for example, you'll have to set your TV to PAL-I mode too.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

Interesting fact Eckhard!!

I have bought it in Greece from a second-hand shop.

But when I checked the paper sticker underneath the console it says "Made in China PAL I" ;)

The thing gets more and more complicated :D

I will try to find out how can I alter the protocol in my TV set...

thanx a lot!!!!