IGNORED

A development kit for the Jaguar

SebRmv

Hello,

I have finally decided myself to release the new library I am working on since a few months. It is far more polished than the previous I released in last June.

You can download it here:

http://removers.free.fr/softs/download.php?lang=en

It is distributed under the tems of the LGPL; you can link freely my library with your program but if you improve my libraries then the source should be available publicly and redistributed under at least the LGPL.

I have written also a short article (in french, sadly for you ;)) about my working environment:

http://removers.atari.org/spip/

One last word: it is indeed possible to write a game with this library (some people can confirm you this information ;))

Enjoy!

Seb

Hello,

I have finally decided myself to release the new library I am working on since a few months. It is far more polished than the previous I released in last June.

You can download it here:

http://removers.free.fr/softs/download.php?lang=en

It is distributed under the tems of the LGPL; you can link freely my library with your program but if you improve my libraries then the source should be available publicly and redistributed under at least the LGPL.

I have written also a short article (in french, sadly for you ;)) about my working environment:

http://removers.atari.org/spip/

One last word: it is indeed possible to write a game with this library (some people can confirm you this information ;))

Enjoy!

Seb

What kind of developer setup do you use out of curiousity?

The tools I use are: madmac, aln, wdb, gcc (cross compiler m68k I have built and that you can also download at my website) and gmake... all this under linux Mandriva 2006. The cross gcc has also been compiled for windows (it uses the cygwin dll's)

Edited by SebRmv

SebRmv is the best jaguar developer of 2006 !

- A game (Atomic ) ! ( with sources ! )

- A dev kit ! ( with examples ! )

- that's all ? ;)

Thanks to my biggest fan ;)

By the way, I just fixed the problem with the online videos. It should now work with most of the browsers.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello there and happy new year!

I quickly drop a word to say that I have just released an update of my library.

The major change is the removal of Sinister sound routines and the addition of my own module replay routine and sound manager. It should be able to replay any Protracker modules up to 8 voices :)

Edited by SebRmv

Hello!

I quickly drop a word to say that I have just released an update of my library.

Great :-)

The major change is the removal of Sinister sound routines and the addition of my own module replay routine and sound manager. It should be able to replay any Protracker modules up to 8 voices :)

Can you come up with a table showing the differences (advantages/disadvantages) of the Sinister Player and yours?

(And perhaps in words dumb coder like me can understand ;-) )

Regards

Matthias

Can you come up with a table showing the differences (advantages/disadvantages) of the Sinister Player and yours?

(And perhaps in words dumb coder like me can understand ;-) )

Regards

Matthias

I can see these advantages compared to the Sinister routine:

- it should be able to replay perfectly all Protracker modules (4/6/8 voices) contrary to Sinister routine that had problems with some modules

- it is possible to share the DSP between the sound manager and your own routines.

(by the way, the fb2d manager of my library has now moved to DSP ram [as it should have been since the beginning])

- you can chose the "global" replay frequency you want (as long as it is realistic of course). Just for info, the Sinister routine uses a fix replay frequency (between 15500 and 16000 Hz I believe). Here you can choose a lower frequency (if you want to save the bus) or a higher frequency (if you want a better quality)

I think the only weak point of my sound manager is the poor API for sample replay.

On the contrary, Sinister has a system of priorities for samples and it is easy to play EFX with.

I intend to work a bit on this side in the near future ;)

I guess there are also some other improvements to be made to my sound driver (like adding a master volume...); I hope I will get feedback from users so that I can see what are the needs :)

Hope this helps

Cheers

Seb

edit: Sinister routine replay frequency is 14838 Hz

Edited by SebRmv

• 4 months later...

Hey Charles,

Glad to see you around! :) , after I contacted you several months ago, as to the status of Frog Feast for the Atari Jaguar, we did a poll over at JSII of; "Would you like to see Jaguar Frog Feast" and the response was an overwhelming - YES! About, almost 40 people over at JSII alone said they would like to see it and would buy it. And there are a lot more Jaguar fans here at AtariAge. Hope you finish the Jaguar version!!!!

• 11 months later...

I up this topic just to announce a major update of both the Jaguar C library and the Removers library.

The major changes are:

- the memory allocator is now a robust and complete one. This is an adaptation of Doug Lea memory allocator (used in several distros)

-> it is needed to adapt the code of existing projects to take into account this change

- addition of a software renderer that can do flat/gouraud shading, without or with textures (no gouraud in this case) and Zbuffer

(clipping is not active but a trivial clipping algorithm can be enabled by changing a compilation variable)

- fixes of several bugs

I have also updated the examples so that these are compatible with this new release.

Edited by SebRmv

Sorry, I made the release a bit in a hurry.

I finally managed to solve a bug in my texture gouraud shaded routine so I included it in a new new release ;)

I also enabled by default the trivial (and inefficient) clipping algorithm, as a provisional solution. (it is particularly inefficient for Y=0 clipping)

Edited by SebRmv

(it is particularly inefficient for Y=0 clipping)

Actually, I just found a bug in that case. The fix is coming soon.

PS: can someone edit the title of this topic to "A development library for the Jaguar" please?

Edited by SebRmv