IGNORED

What's the latest Atari related thing(s) you've bought on ebay?

Ross PK

Not eBay but I *finally* managed to get my hands on a 1064 thanks to Fred_M at RewindGames!

I don't quite know why I've coveted the 1064 for so long but I've wanted one ever since I first read about it online maybe 20 years ago.  It's gangly and awkward but somehow beautiful at the same time.  Many, many thanks to Fred for helping to finally make this a reality. :)

20190723_190051.jpg

20190723_140342.jpg

• Like 8

I love the style of all the XL hardware.  Never even seen a 1064 in person!  My first computer was an 800XL, which I upgraded to 256K at some point (and then it was used to run two different BBSs for a few years).  I wonder how much this RAM module was new.

..Al

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Albert said:

Never even seen a 1064 in person! 

This is the very first one that I have ever seen in person myself. Heck, I never even saw a real 600XL until the early 2000s! 

My understanding is that the 1064 may have never actually been available at retail in the US.  Or if it was it was very, very limited. You might have been able to order them directly from Atari though. The 1064 was sold on shelves in Europe but even there they are somewhat scarce. BEST apparently had a NOS pallet of them at some point but I didn't find out about them until after they had completely sold out.

Truth be told when I was a teen and first got my 800XL, I thought that 600XL were kind of weird looking because of their diminutive size. I have completely changed my tune since then though. Now 600XLs are definitely my favourite of all the A8 styles, maybe because they are unusual to find. If only Atari had installed the monitor port on the NTSC models like they did on the PAL ones.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Albert said:

I wonder how much this RAM module was new.

According to this pricing sheet that Curt posted on FB a while ago, the 600XL was originally sold for $259 and the 1064 $159.  

FB_IMG_1563924876380.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SS said:

Not eBay but I *finally* managed to get my hands on a 1064 thanks to Fred_M at RewindGames!

I don't quite know why I've coveted the 1064 for so long but I've wanted one ever since I first read about it online maybe 20 years ago.  

20190723_190051.jpg

It‘s the only thing Atari ever sold for the PBI port, that‘s enough reason to own one ;) 

• Like 4

I remember in early 1990 I was able to buy five 600XLs for only $20 a piece from San Jose Computer, and 64Kx4 RAM chips for $10 a pair, which with a few simple mods put the 64K inside where it really belonged.

I always thought the 1064 case could have been a great case for a custom PCB re-purposed as a PBI plug-in HDD (CF or SD version). Could have even fashioned some sort of an add-on to the stock 1064 PCB to facilitate this, and then by plugging this into a stock 600XL you would both boost the RAM and add the HDD functionality.

• Like 3

On 7/23/2019 at 7:08 PM, SS said:

I don't quite know why I've coveted the 1064 for so long but I've wanted one ever since I first read about it online maybe 20 years ago.  It's gangly and awkward but somehow beautiful at the same time.  Many, many thanks to Fred for helping to finally make this a reality. :)

20190723_190051.jpg

20190723_140342.jpg

Dangit, I have been searching for one of these for forever, I never even thought to ask Fred

If you have a RetroTink2X these are essential items because of the dinky buttons and fiddly nature of the RetroTink2X

New PSU with on/off switch for switch between HDMI/DVI modes https://castlemaniagames.com/products/retrotink-ac-adapter-with-on-off-switch 

New case so you don't have too mess with dinky buttons when you have giant fingers  https://laserbear.net/shop?olsPage=products%2Fretrotink2x-case

Edited by 256 colors
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2019 at 3:52 PM, orpheuswaking said:

Dangit, I have been searching for one of these for forever, I never even thought to ask Fred

I stripped one and used the case for an sdrive. Still got the internals though :D

The 1064 was easy to find in Europe in the eighties. The packaging is multi langual. I have one in my collection (which is not for sale) completely with box and manual.

The box is similar to the large XL game boxes.

1064_front.thumb.jpg.193495d5d561de0158eb5ed6de1dae00.jpg

1064_back.thumb.jpg.3c42c633a668b4198802665f4f501b71.jpg

The 1064 was in the Dutch pricelists in 1984. All lists I have from 1985 don't state the 1064. The price in 1984 was 439 Dutch guilders, that would be around 137 dollars in 1984.

price.thumb.jpg.196b72ddae677a913bc9a7e2cc6923d9.jpg

Shawn was lucky. I acquired a small lot recently. I pull out stuff for my own collection and what I already have is put up for sale in my webshop. I always post pictures of the new items in the shop on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/rewindgamescom/? 

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 7/24/2019 at 4:09 PM, DrVenkman said:

First Atari-related purchase I've made in a bit. Nothing fancy but useful to a few of us still in this day and age. :)

IMG_1978.thumb.JPG.188b6182db0b2e0b8587fe58e3b56212.JPG

I inherited a couple disk cases that look just like this full of disks from an old friend. However, they're locked! I've had a cursory glance at the lock and am deciding how I want to proceed... ie destructively, or if its pickable. I wonder if your key would unlock mine. ?

5 hours ago, Fred_M said:

The 1064 was easy to find in Europe in the eighties. The packaging is multi langual. I have one in my collection (which is not for sale) completely with box and manual.

I stil have my original 1064 from back in the days, also with box, but no manual. Is the manual multi lingual, too? Is there a PDF file of the manual, or somewhere available?

2 hours ago, Nezgar said:

I inherited a couple disk cases that look just like this full of disks from an old friend. However, they're locked! I've had a cursory glance at the lock and am deciding how I want to proceed... ie destructively, or if its pickable. I wonder if your key would unlock mine. ?

I think the locks in these are pretty simple but the keys do have a tooth pattern. I have an older single-row disk file that I found at a Goodwill 5 years ago (and I've never seen another since, which is why I bought this one). The key for that one does not fit the lock for this one, or vice versa. 

8 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

I think the locks in these are pretty simple but the keys do have a tooth pattern.

I think this is what Lock Smiths are used for.  When I bought an older home 12 years ago I took all the door knobs into him and had the whole house keyed alike for one key.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nezgar said:

These types of locks are typically extremely low security and easy to pick. Find a video on YouTube and I have little doubt you could open it in a matter of seconds with a couple of paper clips.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, OmaOhneBH said:

I stil have my original 1064 from back in the days, also with box, but no manual. Is the manual multi lingual, too? Is there a PDF file of the manual, or somewhere available?

No the manual is English only. It is just a sheet of paper. I will scan it and upload it ;-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Rusto said:

First post here for me. I've been after an 8-bit for ages - had a 600XL in the 80s. Now I'll have to sell everything else to make space... this is a bit more than I planned.

xl.jpg

Nice 1029!!! I've been searching for a reasonable priced one for over a decade (They only come up rarely and usually for stupid money)

12 hours ago, adam242 said:

These types of locks are typically extremely low security and easy to pick. Find a video on YouTube and I have little doubt you could open it in a matter of seconds with a couple of paper clips.

Thanks, sure enough a "specially modified" paperclip got me into both boxes in short time! ? :thumbsup:

Lots of old BBS stuff in these...

perfectmicro.jpg

paperclip.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, orpheuswaking said:

YOU MURDERER!!!! Although I would go for just the internals too! 

Also not often I see a bluetones quote

haha, well, in my defence it's no use to me in the UK as I don't have a TV that can read NTSC via RF, so super video card upgrade in progress.

You are the first to spot the Bluetones quote, I nearly took it down today :D

Heres me having a pre-gig meal with the band and crew

21742963_10154799968486722_5942579075743173301_n.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/30/2019 at 10:19 AM, mimo said:

haha, well, in my defence it's no use to me in the UK as I don't have a TV that can read NTSC via RF, so super video card upgrade in progress.

You are the first to spot the Bluetones quote, I nearly took it down today :D

Heres me having a pre-gig meal with the band and crew

21742963_10154799968486722_5942579075743173301_n.jpg

That is amazing! Sadly being in the US I doubt I'll ever get to see them live

• Like 1