IGNORED

What's the latest Atari related thing(s) you've bought on ebay?

Ross PK

These are awesome disk holders. I've been toting four of them around for thirty five years and they are very sturdy and can take a beating! The disks have a lifetime warranty too. If I have any problem with the disks let there be no doubt I'll be contacting 3M. They say lifetime warranty on the back and they'd better mean it.

3M flip 'n' file DS DD.jpg

Edited by Sugarland
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Allan said:

Hopefully you will consider archiving this.

If not, please let me know - I have the complete set (AP/GL/AR).  However my AR is still in the shrink wrap, so that one is not available.  Not sure who owned my set, but not good news for a company to never need the AR portion of their accounting system ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, jacobus said:

If not, please let me know - I have the complete set (AP/GL/AR).  However my AR is still in the shrink wrap, so that one is not available.  Not sure who owned my set, but not good news for a company to never need the AR portion of their accounting system ?

I'd be really interested in copies of that software and manuals too.  (totally respect not breaking the seal though)... if any one else has any floating around...

2 hours ago, Qix Raiders said:

I bought an Atari 800XL...but it looks so nice now I don't want to use it :P

That is indeed a really, really beautiful machine! I would also not want use it. Alps keyboard and the narrow font on the 'Atari 800XL' badge are IMO the best looking ones.  The box also in that photo looks amazing. Incredible find!   I have a practically mint 800 that I don't use for the same reason.

Edited by Sugarland
  • Like 2

On 5/26/2020 at 4:12 PM, Allan said:

Hopefully you will consider archiving this.

Howdy!

Almost forgot this one...

It is here! 

8BDB42A4-A8B2-49EB-BBFF-186AFE5B2073.thumb.jpeg.40c54f1c9788af6b8d03334928f8bf39.jpeg

Original media seems intact, boots well, as both have (what seems) a bad-sector at Track 37 ($02AC, to be precise). Does not seem to read more than that one, and as soon as it comes in, it finishes loading.

Upon closer examination, it seems the on-board protection mechanism deployed by PeachTree is not trivial: it appears to be synthetizing and self-modifying its code on a specific address, from where it jumps to actual internal code of the SW....

If anyone has any specific feedback for archiving, please, PM-me at your earliest convenience.

I can also post the .ATRs I extracted (minus bad-sector) for anyone to give a look at them....

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Faicuai said:

Howdy!

Almost forgot this one...

It is here! 

8BDB42A4-A8B2-49EB-BBFF-186AFE5B2073.thumb.jpeg.40c54f1c9788af6b8d03334928f8bf39.jpeg

Original media seems intact, boots well, as both have (what seems) a bad-sector at Track 37 ($02AC, to be precise). Does not seem to read more than that one, and as soon as it comes in, it finishes loading.

Upon closer examination, it seems the on-board protection mechanism deployed by PeachTree is not trivial: it appears to be synthetizing and self-modifying its code on a specific address, from where it jumps to actual internal code of the SW....

If anyone has any specific feedback for archiving, please, PM-me at your earliest convenience.

I can also post the .ATRs I extracted (minus bad-sector) for anyone to give a look at them....

It would be best if you could find someone nearby who has a Kryoflux to dump it. I live in Ohio, which isn't exactly driving distance.

1 hour ago, toddtmw said:

It would be best if you could find someone nearby who has a Kryoflux to dump it. I live in Ohio, which isn't exactly driving distance.

Also can you post pictures of what came with it (documents).

Would love to have the whole package scanned as well but at least can we see:

1. What manuals and documentation came with it. (How are the manuals bound? Spiral, glued, stapled, etc.

2. Is there a catalog of other software by Peachtree included and what are the titles/serial numbers of them.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Got an 800 and 810 with a copy enhancement. eBay listing. Might be a Happy. Not yet sure. Auction photos looked gross, yellowed and neglected but it cleaned up very well. Color is great. See if you notice something with the 810. It's subtle.

Atari-800-David-2.thumb.jpg.443aefbd5bf0dcb6567160af13fd1631.jpgAtari-800-David.thumb.jpg.d47fd35a5c9d8f7c38c4bcd96fbc29ae.jpg

Atari-810-smashed-2.thumb.jpg.98acf1df6d5e85c4b4890e3c6cef2580.jpgAtari-810-smashed-1.thumb.jpg.e84eaf214dea1f5c998228bfa11a4473.jpg

Atari-810-box-crush-damage.thumb.jpg.d3f52d75ec3cf7eb36926ea543eada4c.jpg

810 did not have the original styrofoam but the 800 did. I asked the seller TWICE to pack the 810 in three layers of large bubble wrap. He used a very thin single layer. :( :( :( FAIL. Price was great though. Claimed to be the original owner.

The 800 works great except the keyboard mylar needs to be re-separated. The capacitors needed a few hours to warm up and for video quality to improve. The 810 obviously needs a serious repair job. What glue is best to use? IIRC there is a specific glue that is recommended to repair these cases. One small metal piece broke inside too (small metal pole thing).  The 810 does load some games but some did not work so I need to further diagnose it. That might have been a disk density issue, not sure. I think all Happy's are DD?? Maybe it has an Archiver which is not DD.

Edited by Sugarland
  • Sad 2

People just don't listen no matter how much you try to get them to do it... ebay should have a customer requested packing policy, do it the way the customer instructs, take photos/video to CYA..... if the seller doesn't do as instructed he loses everything including any ebay insurance/carrier insurance. Sometime I think people do this for the insurance claim value...

Sort of like the copier sales shipping insurances scams of the early 2000's, incredible numbers of copy machines were 'damaged' during shipping. Some bearing the same make model and serial numbers ;)  Took someone with common sense to end it.

When it comes to vintage stuff... the data and the equipment is worth more to us than the what some of these sellers care about, the simply want the cash one way or another... if you crack a few cases or destroy a thing... who cares as the claim is submitted and 45/90 or so days later they cash out...   Ever get one of those release/claim letters from a delivery service? I wouldn't sign it until I got a check from the seller or the delivery service/carrier... just sayin....

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Sugarland said:

That might have been a disk density issue, not sure. I think all Happy's are DD?? Maybe it has an Archiver which is not DD.

The Happy 810 is only SINGLE DENSITY, it's the Happy 1050 upgrade which is DD. There was only one DD upgrade for the 810 that I'm aware of, the very rare(only 300 made) Neanderthal Computer Things 810 Turbo.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, slx said:

Anyone here snagged the 65XE and XF551 for 150$ BIN from Holland, Texas, that was gone a few minutes after I got the mail alert? Looked like a good bargain!

I was REALLY tempted. I'm not surprised it went as fast as it did. The shipping was pretty high and that is what caused me to not pull the trigger.

But I was especially interested in what this cartridge is. I did some Google searches but could not find anything. Anyone know what this is?

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.6665a0d6ace597b75ea06d81ca644613.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

xfe14.thumb.JPG.19052cc09aa3eb9ce7754fbf62a797ca.JPG

This little floppy drive I purchased recently. You may notice the seller shot pictures with dirty stockings, so bidding on this item was like gambling.

It has been delivered yesterday and well... I'm a happy owner so far :) The unit itself is very clean, no yellowing or scratches.

Sold as "untested", and I have to fix the PSU first. The power cord was obviously replaced as it's grey, and the wall plug has been cut off.
Then I have to dig my stuff for SIO-SIO cable. And a diskette, definitely I'm gonna need one.

xf19.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Since the last Tandon 810 drive (pictured above in #4716)  smashed in shipping and this drive was bidding very low I got it!

810-disk-new-Aug-2020.thumb.jpg.8d61fdc61a7ce0bbd4f1ffdf33c8b050.jpg

92478142_810-serial.thumb.jpg.7b4380bd5b849ee9f07dd5c5406f8cf8.jpg

It even came with a disk inserted!!

810-disk-in-drive.thumb.jpg.4935f52fb609ea78a90ed8058eaf0854.jpg

At first I thought CREW DUP was some sort of disk duplication utility. Hah! The disk boots to DOS 2.0s with a several files in the directory listing. Going through the files, none of them were executable. So copying them to E: showed them to be word processing documents. In this case 'crew' refers to a cheer leading crew, not a hacker crew.

There are resume and other personal documents on the disk. I won't divulge the personally identifiable information. Nevertheless the documents are enjoyable and sad to read to say the least. A school report on a poem, an upset investor from 1966 stocks that plummeted in value, board meetings for the school cheer leading organization (I think) and a heartbreaking story of another young woman's grandmother dying of cancer. She didn't even know she had it and the woman didn't believe her when the grandmother complained of stomach pains but thought it was a plea for attention.  Doing a standard operation on her they found cancer spread throughout her abdomen and she never regained consciousness and died not long after.

The house at the address used in the resume reveals this house (nothing identifiable in photo) of the cheer leader young woman:

859186131_Atari810ownershouse.thumb.jpg.c3d84b298b0b6c46d2b480de685e4050.jpg

It's a house in the Virginia suburbs of the Washington DC area, not too far from where I lived at the time (~30 mins away). She's just a little younger than I. That's a nice big lawn for the area!  Very likely a stone facade and not a true stone house.

I did record some video of the files that does not reveal any personally identifiable information, if there is interest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No I take that back. That house looks old but well kept! The raised earth around the house, the steps into the hill, the columns and old style porch, the A/C units in many windows indicating pre air-conditioning and on an old road the house is eighteenth or nineteenth century construction is my guesstimate. Houses have not been built like that here for a long time.