IGNORED

What's the latest Atari related thing(s) you've bought on ebay?

Ross PK

An 810 parts drive.  Cosmetically junk, but got her spinning.  Needed a replacement ROM (used a 2716 and wrote about how to use a 2716 on one of these in another thread).

Boots games/etc fine.  Looks like sin.... but hoping to find another 810 shell someday.  At ~$30 shipped, I'm not complaining as I was factoring on it for parts to begin with.

Also bought a lot of over 200 disks along with some disk filers.  one 3.5" disk box broke in transit, as did one of the 5.25" boxes, but I still got a good 3.5" disk filer, and a good 5.25" disk filer, and a bunch of 720K DD 3.5s (that was most of what was in the lot).  Some interesting originals (non Atari) too.

There are more, but those are a couple of the recent Atari related things.

ebay1.jpg

Edited by cwilbar

Like polishing a turd.

Though, I may try my hand at making a set of plastics from cutting up this and another bad set of 810 shells.  Though I'd still be missing the front plastic bezel.

Right now that dirty old plastic serves to protect the guts and thats about it ?

I was quite pleased to get it working, and that it works well.  As I really only bought it for parts.  Now I'll probably watch for another set of plastics, or someone with a dead drive for sale.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Max_Chatsworth said:

Does it have to be bought on Ebay specifically, or just bought in general recently?

Yeah, people put everything here. I think my only contributions in this thread are from a garage sale and a craigslist buy. There's been some discussion as to whether the thread name should be changed, or whether a new thread should be started altogether...

4 hours ago, Max_Chatsworth said:

Does it have to be bought on Ebay specifically, or just bought in general recently?

which why the d*mn thread should have it edited to say...

What's the latest Atari related thing(s) you've bought?

or

What's the latest Atari related thing(s) you've bought anywhere?

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

I rarely buy off eBay anymore, prices and fees have become outrageous. I find deals for Atari stuff elsewhere. Though I did manage to get my hands on an "as-is" 410 for a mere $20 all-in a couple of months back, and it cost me $5 for new belts elsewhere to get it working and it's in fantastic condition. It even came with a Blue Max tape.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, lbaeza said:

Advanced Atari Protection Techniques book (autographed?).

Regards, 

Luis.

20200811_130513.jpg

20200811_143539.jpg

I started to read this online and this line in Chapter 1 kills me, "Copyright infringements by people who tape television programs has also been a growing problem".
Yes, how dare we tape a show in a lesser quality format full of advertisement. There is legitimate copyright infringement and then there is this BS. I'm just saddened that the Antic Podcast already interviewed the author. I would have loved to see if he still feels this way about this victimless crime.?

Edited by Justin Payne
More clarity
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Justin Payne said:

I started to read this online and this line in Chapter 1 kills me, "Copyright infringements by people who tape television programs has also been a growing problem".
Yes, how dare we tape a show in a lesser quality format full of advertisement. There is legitimate copyright infringement and then there is this BS. I'm just saddened that the Antic Podcast already interviewed the author. I would have loved to see if he still feels this way about this victimless crime.?

I remember watching movies on video tape in the early 80s where it was pretty obvious that the "original" source tape was someone in a movie theater with a camcorder!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StickJock said:

I remember watching movies on video tape in the early 80s where it was pretty obvious that the "original" source tape was someone in a movie theater with a camcorder!

That's actually the way I first say a portion of The Matrix. Someone came into my office with it on a CD. I only watch the first part where Trinity fights the cops since the quality was so poor but right there it made me want to see the movie so...win for the studios thanks to piracy.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, manterola said:

External Sony tape drive. I plan to use the case/power supply for a double xf-551 clone. Thanks to the members of this forum for the suggestions regarding external cases. 

7162020143625.jpg

7162020143548.jpg

What model of tapedrive is that ? I’m looking for a tape drive for my server.

Though I said I rarely ever buy from eBay anymore, about a week ago, I did recently find a good price, $20 including shipping, for a complete War Game Construction Set, and I bought a Pokeymax Quad + Covox from Retronics via eBay. I also visited Atarimax and purchased another Happy 1050 upgrade and another 32-in-1 OS. Of course altogether it was about  a $200 Atari spending spree. Birthday presents to myself...I'm 52 as of the 12th.

20200815_140001.jpg

s-l300.jpg

osmodule_glam.jpg

Screenshot_2020-08-17 Microsoft Word - Happy 1050 Install r3 doc - happy_install pdf.png

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 5

Picked up a 1050 with a genuine Happy drive enhancement for just under $43.00.  Cleaned up, not yellowed, working pretty well, but need to run diags as a few of my test diskettes that other drives read easily it has a bit of a hard time with.

Repros are $40 + ship, so seems like a pretty good deal to me.  I'm 'Happy' anyway ?

• Like 3

@cwilbar nice luck there! Always nice to have at least one genuine happy. :) One of mine I bought in a lot of 3 for $100 canadian, no indication of a happy in the description, but one of them had a lot of telltale toggle switches across the front that piqued my curiosity and lo and behold the drive had an authentic happy, and switches to toggle write protect, happy vs stock 1050 ROM, slow/normal RPM, and drive 1/2/4 select (3 positions). Nifty stuff! And it turned out to have one of the quietest mechs once it was tuned up as well.

Just a thought regarding your issues reading disks from other drives - based on recent research/findings into the ROM stepper phase encodings, if the drive is a made in hong kong/WST mechanism, the happy ROM will position the head a 1/4 track out of alignment. Happy with authentic ROMs should only be used in made in Singapore/Tandon drives. Could explain some difficulty reading disks from other drives.

With that said, I used a drive in such a configuration back in the day with no noticeable difference in reliability, but disks aged as they are may need all the help they can get to read reliably these days...

@Nezgar,

I remember reading those threads.  This one is a Tandon mech (though it has both drive motor and stepper motor variants I don't recall seeing before).  That was one thing I checked when I went through the drive....

I prefer the Tandon mechs, but that could be because the 1050s I have are almost all Tandon mechs :-).  Makes part swapping/testing easier ?

And it reads most of my 'test bench' disks fine.  But it has an issue with M.U.L.E. (with full protection).  Before it gets to verifying copy protection it has a problem where it gets stuck re-reading a sector.

I have not tested every 'bench' diskette..... so there may be others too.  But I have to get my other oscope setup (the one I tried needs full cleaning inside of all the controls as they are so dirty it is tough to maintain a stable setting).  Once setup I have to figure out the alignment stuff and want to check all my 810 and 1050 alignments.

2 hours ago, cwilbar said:

But it has an issue with M.U.L.E. (with full protection).  Before it gets to verifying copy protection it has a problem where it gets stuck re-reading a sector.

What you describe, because of copy protection, sounds like normal behaviour of a happy drive if you have not first put the drive into "unhappy mode" using option 1 then 1 in the happy utilities disk menu...

• Like 1