IGNORED

What's the latest Atari related thing(s) you've bought on ebay?

Ross PK

11 hours ago, Preppie said:

I was considering getting this bundle https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/atari-800-bundle-retro-vintage/392985204538  but it's a US machine and would need mods to use it on PAL tvs, but from his description it sounds like the POKEY chip is faulty.  It was also a higher price, he's knocked it down to £235+p&p now.

Depends on your TV. I'm in the UK and  my 800 is NTSC as is my 400 with a sccc .

My 1200xl is NTSC with a pal antic. 

I use a CRT Sony Trinitron from about 1995 that supports NTSC and pal or a Sony LCD pvm that does the same. 

13 hours ago, slx said:

To convert with the current version you need a PAL GTIA and ANTIC and change the main system quartz on the motherboard but iirc the V2 is going to be able to switch between PAL and NTSC.

Any idea when this will be available? This is my new best hope for that functionality, after being teased with the ANTIX project.

9 hours ago, adam242 said:

Any idea when this will be available? This is my new best hope for that functionality, after being teased with the ANTIX project.

That's what @tf_hh wrote on the ABBUC forum:

Die von mir entwickelte und langsam fertig werdende Super Color CPU Card V2.0 wird eine spezielle Version der Sophia-2 onboard haben, so daß nur zwei ANTIC Chips nötig sind (1x PAL, 1x NTSC). Damit stehen künftig auch beim Atari 400 oder Atari 800 alle Möglichkeiten der Videoausgabe zur Verfügung - umschaltbar zwischen NTSC und PAL, per Tastatur - und das Beste: Absolut ohne Löten, einfach neue SCCC V2.0 und eine kleine Platinte unter den POKEY stecken, fertig.

which roughly translates to:

"The Super Color CPU Card V 2.0 which I developed is slowly nearing completion. It will have a special version of Sophia-2 on board, thus requiring only two ANTIC chips (1 PAL, 1 NTSC). With it Atari 400 and 800 will have all video output options, keyboard switchable between NTSC and PAL. The best of all: no soldering required at all, just the new SCCC V2.0, and a little board under POKEY and you're set. 

It will be available to ABBUC members via the ABBUC shop. No date yet, but what better reason to join (pat from work being in progress to provide an English version of the magazine supplement).

Not sure if the UAV part is still required with Sophia 2 and if this will allow for DVI output as well.

More info on Sophia-2 here.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, xrbrevin said:

Not much about it here, here and here. Another early user interface experiment that didn't catch on like wildfire...

Cheaper ones here.

Nevertheless thanks for the link. Can't recall ever seeing these or even reading about them.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, slx said:

Not much about it here, here and here. Another early user interface experiment that didn't catch on like wildfire...

Cheaper ones here.

Nevertheless thanks for the link. Can't recall ever seeing these or even reading about them.

I have a couple sets of these, fun item but not very practical. 

On 11/14/2020 at 12:42 PM, Preppie said:

Nice price but shipping is more than the machine lol

So that's about £140, how much does it cost to convert to pal?

Depending on how you do and if you have the required ANTIC/GTIA chips it I'd say around 100€ (plus a PSU).

1 hour ago, slx said:

Depending on how you do and if you have the required ANTIC/GTIA chips it I'd say around 100€ (plus a PSU).

So it's not really any cheaper buying from US, assuming you want a pal machine.  Also not much fun if the shippers throw it about and you end up with a box of bits.

Edited by Preppie

12 minutes ago, Preppie said:

So it's not really any cheaper buying from US, assuming you want a pal machine.  Also not much fun if the shippers throw it about and you end up with a box of bits.

Given the rarity of PAL 800's coming up for sale, it might be the only option even if not considerably cheaper. It certainly isn't cheaper if you start out with a +150$ 800 but even now they occasionally sell below 100$ if you're willing to take a machine sold as "untested". The shipping risk imho does not increase whether you get a PAL machine shipped around Europe or a US machine to Europe. You'd be less tempted to have the PSU included with the latter...

Unless you insist on using a CRT (NTSC CRTs are hard to get here) or need PAL compatibility for European games, it should not be too hard to find an NTSC-capable LCD TV here or you could also use a RetroTink or similar to hook up to a modern LCD. (That's not an option for the 400 unless you mod it with a video output.)

I have modded one of my 1200XLs to PAL with a kit sold by @Dropcheck but will keep the other NTSC (to see NTSC colors and timing) and hook it up with Sophia. (For the 1200XL there is no choice but US import anyway ;).

4 hours ago, slx said:

Could you please elaborate a bit what‘s fun and what’s impractical? Curious here. 

looks like just a smaller version of the Atari trackball, which I had. The problem with the trackball, and I assume this too, is if the game wasn't specifically written for the trackball it was actually worse than the joystick to use. to get across the screen would take several swipes at the ball slowing you down and the accuracy wasn't all that great either as they would tend to move slightly up or down with the each side swipes. 

Crazy prices these days. I checked my archived mails what i paid for 8bit stuff 20-15 years ago. 42$ for a perfect 800 (non yellowed) from the US, shipping to germany was actually a bit more expensive than the machine itself. An 810 floppy drive for 21 Euro. XEGS with keyboard for 40 Euro. NTSC 800XL fully socketed (made in Hong Kong) for 21 Euro. 800XE new in box for 20 Euro. Sigh.

• Like 1

I added to my 800XL winter project with an equally nasty looking 600XL. Unlike the 800XL, this one obviously won't work because it appears to be missing the ANTIC chip at the very least. Hopefully, not too much more is wrong. If I can get it running, I'll clean and restore it, upgrade the memory to 64K, and install a UAV and a monitor port. I'll probably look to re-home it after that.

1.thumb.jpg.65dc783db32553154a69ebae1bd33f26.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.3bf82889fb216b9732775e865367d607.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.08ff7fe284088c601b462d8869cd5a99.jpg

3 hours ago, bfollowell said:

I added to my 800XL winter project with an equally nasty looking 600XL. Unlike the 800XL, this one obviously won't work because it appears to be missing the ANTIC chip at the very least. Hopefully, not too much more is wrong. If I can get it running, I'll clean and restore it, upgrade the memory to 64K, and install a UAV and a monitor port. I'll probably look to re-home it after that.

1.thumb.jpg.65dc783db32553154a69ebae1bd33f26.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.3bf82889fb216b9732775e865367d607.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.08ff7fe284088c601b462d8869cd5a99.jpg

It's a thing of beauty to my eyes.  She'll clean up nicely.  Good luck.