IGNORED

What's the latest Atari related thing(s) you've bought on ebay?

Ross PK

Hello everyone. I am new to the scene and this is my first post. First met Atari 800 XL back when dad brought one home when 11 - 12 years old. Now have couple of 600, 800 s just laying around waiting for some tlc. Looking forward to catching up.

As a reply to this post, I recently purchased 800XL's on eBay that someone attempted to mod but left without completing. The unit does power on, but just white screen and nothing else. Can someone help identify what this mod could be? If ram upgrade, which one and is there some manuals, etc? TIA.

Huey Jones, nice to meet on eBay.

A800XL_2.jpg

A800XL_1.jpg

6 hours ago, tt_atari said:

Hello everyone. I am new to the scene and this is my first post. First met Atari 800 XL back when dad brought one home when 11 - 12 years old. Now have couple of 600, 800 s just laying around waiting for some tlc. Looking forward to catching up.

As a reply to this post, I recently purchased 800XL's on eBay that someone attempted to mod but left without completing. The unit does power on, but just white screen and nothing else. Can someone help identify what this mod could be? If ram upgrade, which one and is there some manuals, etc? TIA.

Huey Jones, nice to meet on eBay.

A800XL_2.jpg

A800XL_1.jpg

That is a memory upgrade that I haven't seen before. It will be hard to troubleshoot. I would try swapping chips into a working computer if you have one. 

7 hours ago, tt_atari said:

I recently purchased 800XL's on eBay that someone attempted to mod but left without completing. The unit does power on, but just white screen and nothing else. Can someone help identify what this mod could be? If ram upgrade, which one and is there some manuals, etc? TIA.

I would remove the entire upgrade and set it aside until finding the full documentation. More likely to get the 800XL working without all that in there.

Edited by Sugarland

On 11/13/2020 at 5:12 PM, Preppie said:

I just got this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-ATARI-800-Computer-Untested-/193748941536?hash=item2d1c563ae0%3Ag%3AWVQAAOSwzPlfrol7&nma=true&si=AsxeiHqo1KdqTwj4mukTgl49uYU%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

It's 'untested' but looks nice, hopefully it's ok.  There's also a Monkey Wrench cart with it.

BTW:  Any advice on things to check before powering it up?

RE the above machine.  I finally got a PSU for it and cleaned up the sticking options buttons and it powered up fine :)  Monkey Wrench cart works fine too.

I found a monkey wrech cart sold for ~£50 on US ebay so I think it was a pretty good buy.

• Like 3

I just picked up a new (to me) Hong Kong made 800XL with an AWC keyboard for a not too terrible price.  Mostly because I needed the keyboard if I can get my rogue 600XL motherboard finally working and I can use the other chips as needed (like the MMU, of which I don't have any more spares left).  However, although it's listed as "untested", this new machine looks to be in fairly decent shape.  Maybe if it is I might decide to do some upgrades on it and then resell it instead.  We'll see.

2 hours ago, SS said:

I just picked up a new (to me) Hong Kong made 800XL with an AWC keyboard for a not too terrible price.  Mostly because I needed the keyboard if I can get my rogue 600XL motherboard finally working and I can use the other chips as needed (like the MMU, of which I don't have any more spares left).  However, although it's listed as "untested", this new machine looks to be in fairly decent shape.  Maybe if it is I might decide to do some upgrades on it and then resell it instead.  We'll see.

That's always the problem... same for me.. If I get some piece of broken or untested hardware for use for spare parts,  I usually get attached and I feel the need to fix it, instead (since usually it is not that hard and why not?), so I end up with a totally new computer or drive, etc.

Edited by manterola

19 hours ago, manterola said:

That's always the problem... same for me.. If I get some piece of broken or untested hardware for use for spare parts,  I usually get attached and I feel the need to fix it, instead (since usually it is not that hard and why not?), so I end up with a totally new computer or drive, etc.

I also feel much the same about getting attached.....except going forward that is going to change. I bought a 400 with a BKey keyboard and a 48k expansion. When I went to open the box, I could hear the broken plastic inside. It turned out to be a smashed top,bottom and cartridge door. But guess what? I turned it on and it still worked.....so I decided to save it rather than send it back. That was a mistake. You see any damage.....and expect to get some type of partial refund back from Ebay,Paypal or the seller, then it's not going to happen. Paypal actually had the nerve while sending a claim denial to suggest that I may have caused it. That's the folks you're dealing with.

The good news is that I bought a used case with many thanks to a member Roydea6. He's a good man. The 400 is now fixed and I'm a little attached to it.....this time. ?

26 minutes ago, Dinadan67 said:

A spare part, 800 keyboard (new old stock) from myatari. I just took a look at it, never used and pristine ?

I bought one of those a few years ago, some of the keys fall out and the ribbon cable was only partially soldered but it was NOS in it's Atari service packaging. 

• 4 months later...

Just got two Excellent condition Indus GT drives and an included 800XL (stackpole variant) from ebay for a good price. Poorly listed auction with Indus drives mentioned at the end of the title as if they were worth less than the 800XL (not so). Both drives came with the smaller retail box+styrofoam.   I have a feeling these drives never had the carrying case which is fine with me since those are so big.

800XL-indus-gt-disk-drives.thumb.jpg.96214574d17473b2a8914427120a13a9.jpg

The 800XL works 100%. It's the first stackpole keyboard that I can tolerate. Keycaps are a lighter brown which I like and the smaller keys do not lock up. Bigger keys do when pressed on corners. Keycap texture on this one is not bad, whereas my other two stackpole keyboards feel like typing on sandpaper.

Indus-GT-drives-closeup.thumb.jpg.49f12b5bda9a8fb51cffa8e77455c82d.jpg

Indus-GT-drives-closeup-flash.thumb.jpg.01b701cd2a4989e7f01deac326b17ce0.jpg

One drive has a Chinon mech (visible!) which I did not know Indus used those.  What's clear is that the build quality on Indus drives is not as good as 810's or 1050's. The transparent door specifically on the Chinon unit had come out of alignment (shows in auction photos where it's not closed) due to the pivot pins inside coming out of their horizontal slots.  With much difficulty I got the pins back but it needs hot glue or something to hold the pins in place. Bad design. Also both plastic strips that cover the buttons panel have come loose due to the glue failing.  In the above photos the cosmetic strip is just resting in place. Easily fixed.

As arrived, the Chinon door would not lock the door latch on a disk without difficulty. After opening the drive and doing nothing it now seems to correctly lock closed without struggle.

Also on the Chinon drive the whole front fascia will not return to it's proper alignment despite my best efforts.  They are not easy drives to service and work with.  It looks like the internal frame is bent (from the factory) where the two screws hold the front panel in place.  When I got the drive a couple days ago the panel was correctly aligned so it seems to be my error but I've tried without success.

The Tandon Indus the front transparent door latch is difficult to operate and when it does go down, the transparent door does not want to pop up without a little bit of prying to remind it who it is.

We had one tandon Indus drive BITD and it had problems with the power switch falling out (very loose). Thankfully both of these drives do not have that problem.

Even with these difficulties I feel they are cool drives and I'm happy. Been looking for a decent deal on a great quality drive for a few years. Finally! Never expected to acquire two of them!  No scratches on the cases and are used minimally. They both work so far as I can tell. SD, ED and DD all work. Haven't seen an Indus drive in person since the 80's. Recorded video of the unboxing and test which I hope to post.

The dip switches on both drives were set to single density. Very odd. No idea if the dip switch set that way disables double density. Moved them to DD before powering on. No GT estate disks came. Only one set of the Indus booklets.  So excited... ?

Edited by Sugarland
  • Like 9

Ok, time for u guys to curse me lol

Finally grabbed a fairly priced C64 programmers reference https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COMMODORE-64-PROGRAMMERS-REFERENCE-GUIDE-FIRST-EDITION-FOURTH-PRINTING-1983-/265127221122?nma=true&si=s2h%2B7TsPxKtbKOgRsoSx0ynHKwE%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Need Mapping the C64 now, but doubt I'll get one of them (damn rare in UK and silly prices when they do come up), guess I'll just have to use a pdf.

Interlude over, back to Atari stuff :)

2 hours ago, Sugarland said:

Poorly listed auction with Indus drives mentioned at the end of the title as if they were worth less than the 800XL (not so). Both drives came with the smaller retail box+styrofoam.

VERY nice, I clearly remembered this auction but skipped it because I already have a  IndusGT  / RamCharger duo.

Now, these drives have quite a longer list of bells-and-whistles than the 810 or 1050, though. Yours, in fact, do not seem that used (or kind of actually stuck / frozen for lack of it?). Also, not sure a bout the storage conditions, since you should never see that front-decal separating from the front-fascia, though.

I wonder about production dates, though. I have NEVER, EVER seen a Chinon Indus/GT. In fact, if it was not you posting it, I would deem it as fake / after-market... BTW, have you checked for presence of RamCharger expansion pin-header, on RIGHT side of both drives?

As for the front-door, what happens is that there is an air-break on the left-side, and a spring/coil on the right-side (spring-loaded swivel). The issue is that when the translucent cover closes (and locks with the front-latch), the spring is almost fully stretched, thus leaving the door right-hinge under permanent and full tension / stress. Eventually, and after many years of such stress, the door's hinge fractures, and releases the spring, thus losing pull-back pressure to auto-open the cover (at this point, the left air-brake becomes an impediment for cover-swing!). The repair is simple, and high-quality glue will restore structural integrity to the door's right-side hinge lobe, where the spring attached.

Next thing on the list is go to Jurgen's site and order x3 (three) RamCharger expansions, if your drives came with the expansion pin-headers It is a plug-and-play, hassle free installation, originally designed by/for IndusGT. At that point, watch how the IndusGT transforms itself into a sophisticated track/sector buffer server, plus a 64KB CP/M v2.2 computer... thus leaving the 810 and 1050 in the dust (like it did with mine).

Cheers!

Edited by Faicuai
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

Next thing on the list is go to Jurgen's site and order x3 (three) RamCharger expansions, if your drives came with the expansion pin-headers It is a plug-and-play, hassle free installation, originally designed by/for IndusGT. At that point, watch how the IndusGT transforms itself into a sophisticated track/sector buffer server, plus a 64KB CP/M v2.2 computer... thus leaving the 810 and 1050 in the dust (like it did with mine).

Cheers!

Thank you for all your advice and feedback! Much appreciated. Why three? They are not expensive so your suggestion is good. For documentation purposes, below is a photo of the Chinon mech showing the headers.  Pretty sure the Tandon unit has them as well.   Yes there are a handful of videos showing them operating at the high baud rates which looks awesome.

Indus-GT-Chinon-mech.thumb.jpg.243f05135fceb960bf70523c0e774037.jpg

In the above photo, the bent frame can be seen below the spring (lower left) and above the screw. But I'm pretty sure the case was assembled correctly as I got it. Still trying to get the front fascia and metal case to align so that there is no gap along the top and sides. It refuses to 'snap' into place. The spring and hinge The Tandon unit has no issues there.

1874414611_IndusGThingefailure.thumb.jpg.1cd97e9ce4751800e9c0d016090dedb1.jpg

The somewhat horizontal bar there should be above and behind that screw in the top left. The screw by itself will not hold the bar. Glue must be used. Ugh...

Someone else's video:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Sugarland said:

Why three? They are not expensive so your suggestion is good. For documentation purposes, below is a photo of the Chinon mech showing the headers.  Pretty sure the Tandon unit has them as well.   Yes there are a handful of videos showing them operating at the high baud rates which looks awesome.

Indus-GT-Chinon-mech.thumb.jpg.243f05135fceb960bf70523c0e774037.jpg

Three because:

1. They are priced fairly well.

2. They will inseparably enhanced the drives. Therefore, one (1) spare, in case something goes south.

WOW! Would you look at that drive-board! Quite different (and totally inverted) with respect my two drives... Even the PCB color/finish is different. The GOOD NEWS is that I see the expansion pin-header installed and ready-to-rock! These DO NOT come installed in all drives, though (unfortunately).

Looks like different parts / vendors where sourced during the product's life-cycle. Never saw this one, before. FYI, I will check for frame-bends on my two drives, as soon as I have a chance to get on them.

THANKS for sharing !

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sugarland said:

Just got two Excellent condition Indus GT drives and an included 800XL (stackpole variant) from ebay for a good price. Poorly listed auction with Indus drives mentioned at the end of the title as if they were worth less than the 800XL (not so). Both drives came with the smaller retail box+styrofoam.   I have a feeling these drives never had the carrying case which is fine with me since those are so big.

800XL-indus-gt-disk-drives.thumb.jpg.96214574d17473b2a8914427120a13a9.jpg

The 800XL works 100%. It's the first stackpole keyboard that I can tolerate. Keycaps are a lighter brown which I like and the smaller keys do not lock up. Bigger keys do when pressed on corners. Keycap texture on this one is not bad, whereas my other two stackpole keyboards feel like typing on sandpaper.

Indus-GT-drives-closeup.thumb.jpg.49f12b5bda9a8fb51cffa8e77455c82d.jpg

Indus-GT-drives-closeup-flash.thumb.jpg.01b701cd2a4989e7f01deac326b17ce0.jpg

One drive has a Chinon mech (visible!) which I did not know Indus used those.  What's clear is that the build quality on Indus drives is not as good as 810's or 1050's. The transparent door specifically on the Chinon unit had come out of alignment (shows in auction photos where it's not closed) due to the pivot pins inside coming out of their horizontal slots.  With much difficulty I got the pins back but it needs hot glue or something to hold the pins in place. Bad design. Also both plastic strips that cover the buttons panel have come loose due to the glue failing.  In the above photos the cosmetic strip is just resting in place. Easily fixed.

As arrived, the Chinon door would not lock the door latch on a disk without difficulty. After opening the drive and doing nothing it now seems to correctly lock closed without struggle.

Also on the Chinon drive the whole front fascia will not return to it's proper alignment despite my best efforts.  They are not easy drives to service and work with.  It looks like the internal frame is bent (from the factory) where the two screws hold the front panel in place.  When I got the drive a couple days ago the panel was correctly aligned so it seems to be my error but I've tried without success.

The Tandon Indus the front transparent door latch is difficult to operate and when it does go down, the transparent door does not want to pop up without a little bit of prying to remind it who it is.

We had one tandon Indus drive BITD and it had problems with the power switch falling out (very loose). Thankfully both of these drives do not have that problem.

Even with these difficulties I feel they are cool drives and I'm happy. Been looking for a decent deal on a great quality drive for a few years. Finally! Never expected to acquire two of them!  No scratches on the cases and are used minimally. They both work so far as I can tell. SD, ED and DD all work. Haven't seen an Indus drive in person since the 80's. Recorded video of the unboxing and test which I hope to post.

The dip switches on both drives were set to single density. Very odd. No idea if the dip switch set that way disables double density. Moved them to DD before powering on. No GT estate disks came. Only one set of the Indus booklets.  So excited... ?

Someone has been in that one. INDUS never used a Chinon mech.. someone has "Fitted" it.. and very poorly.. I own many of these drives and in 30 years have had at least 40 pass my hands.. ALWAYS a TANDON mech.  BUT still very good looking.. Try and find another Tandon mech. I currently own a parts Indus or two.. I also have 2 that have the SRAM CHARGER in.. so I can do CP/M  those are my babies.

James

• Like 1