IGNORED

What's the latest Atari related thing(s) you've bought on ebay?

Ross PK

21 minutes ago, Bikerbob said:

someone has "Fitted" it..

Don't think so.

The drive-control board tells a different story. It is very different that the standard board fitted with Tandom units. It is inverted (upside-down, with active components looking down / inwards, which is totally the opposite to regular boards).

Now, if his OTHER (Tandom) drive also has this inverted board, then the possibility of a retro-fitted Chinon drive may take some credence.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I have no idea if the Chinon is from Indus or retro-fitted. Here is my latest pickup. The disk does not fully work. Tries to load and hangs, confirming the assertion that Elephants forget.

AMS-II.thumb.jpg.5f89bb910bbd48e78108160f44ecdeb2.jpg

The back has a photo of Lee Actor, too! ?

Edited by Sugarland
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Sugarland said:

The disk does not fully work

A pity because both the manual and floppy look in excellent condition (GOOD choice!)... just look at that floppy's label... white as snow (not a trace of humidity or visible deterioration)...

• Like 1

I finally got a 1200XL to replace the one I've always regretted selling.  It's in great condition, and came with the video and memory already upgraded.  No complaints.  It's kind of a relief - I can finally stop studying all the Atari auctions every day!  Yay!  Pricey but what I wanted.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

A solitary, humble 2600 Driving Controller. I have a loose copy of Indy 500 since forever but haven’t been able to play it. I used to love that game as a kid so it seemed like something I ought to get eventually. 

I have luck to get an indy 500 pack with two driving controllers. The game is actually very playable and enjoyable today. We played hours with my son, since there are so many variations included in the cartridge. 

Really well done. I am sure you will still love it. 

Edited by manterola
  • Like 3

Hello guys

I never had the Indy500 cart, but I found a driving controller somewhere for not too much money.  Might have been in Sweden.  I often visite a Swedish auction site (owned by eBay) because of my car.  And sometimes I wander off into the Atari area...  And then I found a Dutch site that didn't know what they had.  They had two driving controllers, each under a slightly different description.  So now I have three driving controllers and one Tac-2 joystick.  (Sorry, not selling)

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mathy said:

Hello guys

I never had the Indy500 cart, but I found a driving controller somewhere for not too much money.  Might have been in Sweden.  I often visite a Swedish auction site (owned by eBay) because of my car.  And sometimes I wander off into the Atari area...  And then I found a Dutch site that didn't know what they had.  They had two driving controllers, each under a slightly different description.  So now I have three driving controllers and one Tac-2 joystick.  (Sorry, not selling)

Sincerely

Mathy

Will the driving controller work with the 800XL?

43 minutes ago, hueyjones70 said:

Will the driving controller work with the 800XL?

Yes but I don’t think there is any software that works with it. You can test that it’s working in Florian Dingler’s peripheral tester. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

Yes but I don’t think there is any software that works with it. You can test that it’s working in Florian Dingler’s peripheral tester. 

I believe Tempest Elite supports the driving controller.  That's the only one that comes to mind though.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brentarian said:

I believe Tempest Elite supports the driving controller.  That's the only one that comes to mind though.

Delta Space Arena as well.

The resolution is not very fine, though. Probably the VCS couldn’t afford reading it out too frequently. It‘s absolutely sufficient for Indy 500. 

A 4-player Indy 500 clone for the 400/800 would be nice, btw (unless it exists already and just escaped my attention). I doubt the MultiJoy can read driving controllers, so it would have to remain exclusive to the older machines. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Robot said:

The rotary controller I used has detents, I couldn't find a smooth turning one.

Sometimes depending upon construction the detent ball which is a small ball bearing can be removed.

• Like 2

Hello guys

A small routine I wrote years ago at the Fujiama, that'll show you what the driving controller does:

100 A=STICK(0)-11

110 B1=(A/2>1)

120 B0=(A-(2*B1)>1)

130 ? B0,B1

155 GOTO 100

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203446240410

449340839_1200XLboughtMay2021.thumb.jpg.adcda01a52fc01ef37c49955fb2d1e85.jpg

A mostly working 1200XL except non functioning keyboard with CLEAR key broken off and top half of RF shield not included. 24 pin OS socket variant with 200ns RAM. Upon receiving it, I noticed the D key was also broken and glued back on (not sitting straight in photo above).

Only RESET, START SELECT OPTION worked. All other keys did not.  Installing a Best Elec replacement mylar did not change keyboard function, which was actually good news since it meant the mylar or gold finger contacts area was not the cause. Someone else had previously separated the mylar from the PCB in an attempt to restore keyboard function.  Installed another machine's top half of the shell with it's working keyboard and that keyboard worked flawlessly in this 1200XL. Doing that helped to determine if it was a keyboard issue or POKEY. Keyboard issue.

Replacing the 4051's on the back of the keyboard PCB seemed the best route. First step was to install sockets.

1200XL-4051s-unsocketed.thumb.jpg.8341930f9d11dceff77e6124761a81b8.jpg1666393837_1200XL4051s-socketed.thumb.jpg.b4311e9c23163b654ea89d6015050f34.jpg

Solder work for new sockets. The two joined pins are fine as those are connected on the PCB.

1200XL-4051s-solder-work.thumb.jpg.cbd06fe9b1c9e276be3d4f5d48dde175.jpg

Have a mostly non working spare parts 600XL but for whatever reason the 4051's in it worked in an 800XL so I installed them in the new sockets and that fixed it! WORKING keyboard! ? The previous 4051 had messy non-factory flux residue so it looked like someone had worked on it but perhaps did not replace it. The left one was the failed chip. Replaced both to match from the 600XL spare parts machine.

Contacted bob1200xl for replacement keys, stems and springs which he very kindly sent, after them sending to him for color match of the keycaps. 

The computer was still dirty. Here we go.

728524314_1200XLclearkeystemgluedandbroken.thumb.jpg.bf34d71d4868cdd720daa7ee8f663d56.jpg

These are the only two photos I have of it before cleaning

1200XL-dirty-keyboard.thumb.jpg.d6b374a456a25a65c32a3ae1f55efb27.jpg

Neighbor's cat on our porch, will not let me get near her.

850122264_neighborscat.thumb.jpg.70de4c5c40a0ffcf76cc716e2ce597a9.jpg

New plunger from bob. One for D and one for CLEAR with a couple extra plungers to spare (Awesome. I'll need those!)

1200XL-clear-key-reverse.thumb.jpg.831ac4cf44181052036ec822ee1fdf0a.jpg

Fully disassembled the top of the keyboard, yuck.

1200XL-dirty-backplane.thumb.jpg.38d41758d3a6a67f6b5891d1ea60630a.jpg

1200XL-cleaning-rebuilding.thumb.jpg.20a5bc5b3cf40e8b08b82b9a8a9759da.jpg

Reassembling after full cleaning of keycaps and the backplane.  CONTROL, both SHIFT keys and BACKSPACE use a different spring type (more coiled). Space bar uses a third unique type of spring (taller) so these were kept separate from the others. Sprayed deoxit on the springs in a plastic bag to restore and stop/prevent corrosion. They look a LOT better. I recommend doing this sort of thing to preserve your 1200XL's keyboard springs! Be very careful when removing the keycaps and use a proper wire keycap puller and it seems that toggling back and forth a very little bit helps as you pull up. This particular keyboard was difficult to remove each keycap as they snap or lock tight into position, unlike other keycaps I've removed.

Note that this keyboard will not separate from the shell since it seems to be glued or stuck with some substance above the CLEAR key. Maybe a soda spill or glue I don't know but it's only in one three inch area along the top of the keyboard. A flat head screwdriver would not pry it off of the case shell. Will try again another day.

1200XL-cleaned-keyboard.thumb.jpg.e26412270a782f97c61ed185060dca41.jpg

Cleaned and all keys in place with both broken plungers replaced!  She looks much better. Note that the D key is a little higher because some glue residue deep into the keycap from a previous owner remained after Bob removed the stem. Would not snap-lock into the stem due to the rock hard glue residue deep into the keycap. I did not have a drill to do that. There was no need for a previous owner of the computer to glue the broken top half of the stem into place, since it already lock-snaps into place.  Sent D key back to Bob today for a replacement or glue removal. Thank you again Bob!  Am happy to reimburse you.

Still need to clean the case. The restoration is coming along.  Will order some polish for the aluminum and transparent window which I've never done but would love to.

1200XL-replacement-CLEAR-key.thumb.jpg.87cccd4a9a43c1f3be1fd2e9d8cef74a.jpg

CLEAR seems to sit a tiny bit high. It is locked into the stem and INSERT is sitting a little low too.

Video quality is poor. Looks like how ghosting looks like on modern LCD's. Need to install UAV. Below photo is sharp. That's how it looks.

1200XL-bought-ghosting.thumb.jpg.61b25beca56c8f1cd77a9cafb4d84131.jpg

More restoration work to do on it. Thanks for reading!

710022998_1200XLrepairedrestoredJune2021serial.thumb.jpg.0c2d2a910b290c1050228a84a529a84f.jpg

Edited by Sugarland
  • Like 8