IGNORED

What's the latest Atari related thing(s) you've bought on ebay?

Ross PK

12 hours ago, www.atarimania.com said:

Not that rare, probably about "8", but never got that much attention.

Yeah, that's what I thought when thinking in terms of # C64 copies and installed base... but also wondered how many actual Atari owners bought it (it is a 1984 title, at the height of XL sales).... not that many, it seems.

It looks like getting around its protection may require good "forensic" work.

If anyone is interested, just chime in, and I will post a sector-copy version (minus bad-sectors) for further examination...

(UPDATE: @www.atarimania.com

Upon closer inspection, it turns out that the version I got is different than the one pictured in AtariMania's directory, with a different manual, different production year, and encompassing three versions, it seems: C64, C128 and A8. My manual front-cover is white, mentioning C128 version as "Fleet System III" (not "Fleet Writer"). Here's a screenshot, showing production date of 1984 (manual shows Feb. 1986 ?):

8F166F42-C9DF-4A65-B4DA-6D60BCE9F115.thumb.jpeg.1aa9f6dd79cc890642b73aeb5cb483ca.jpeg

Even the char. set seems imported from C64's... ? Also, "Visiontronics" appears....

Anyhow, just wish I could generate a working copy for everyone to download and play with... 

• Like 2

On 7/3/2021 at 3:27 AM, Faicuai said:

Well, I have some user-manual catch-up to do here, to learn how this bad-boy works...  Interesting,  nonetheless!

It will be interesting to see if it offered anything above/beyond the capabilities of the Atari word processors established by then. I always wondered about some latecomer word processors that didn't have any benefits / extra features compared to the incumbents.

2 hours ago, Caterpiggle said:

I wish I would find mine own Fleet System 2 with diskette & manual somewhere in my place....

Difficult to make a good & prefect disk images with "bad sectors" ? Does your SIO2USB adapter not very helpful features to handle that kind of "bad sectors" ....

I tried for years to like Fleet System 2.  It is difficult (when compared to Atariwriter and AW+) to use.  Flippies are never that good, shared resources with Commodore make for a lousy manual.

I have a couple of 800Xl’s that have keyboard issues. While checking on eBay, I saw that BC Computervision had posted a couple revision 1 keyboards (Alps switches) and I picked them up. They were a lot more expensive than the Mylar version they were also selling, but I figured these will be easier to repair down the road and offer a better typing experience.

I think most of us have turned this into a full-blown what's the latest Atari related item you've purchased and thrown out the ebay part. That being the case, I just ordered a FujiNet v1.5 from @Gavin1968 at his wonderful Vintage Computer Center. I can't wait to see what all the excitement is about first hand!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, scorpio_ny said:

I have a couple of 800Xl’s that have keyboard issues. While checking on eBay, I saw that BC Computervision had posted a couple revision 1 keyboards (Alps switches) and I picked them up. They were a lot more expensive than the Mylar version they were also selling, but I figured these will be easier to repair down the road and offer a better typing experience.

The "easier to repair" depends on what needs repairing. The mechanical key switches are sometimes hard to find and semi expensive. The circuit boards are easy to repair most of the time.

11 hours ago, hueyjones70 said:

The "easier to repair" depends on what needs repairing. The mechanical key switches are sometimes hard to find and semi expensive. The circuit boards are easy to repair most of the time.

One of my side hobbies is building custom keyboards. I have gone through a couple group buys and have already assembled several. Through my hobby, I know of several sources that sell the switch (Alps SKFL). But you right, this is still vintage hardware and source parts are more difficult and expensive to acquire.

• Like 1

Looking to finally get onto the "information superhighway" but for certain I'll be pulled over with this sports car.

Atari-1030-modem-retail-box.thumb.jpg.621e9f4daf5a02724a39a56570ce0129.jpg

Atari-1030-modem-NOS.thumb.jpg.dfcece572c9485e19646b546c28604e7.jpg

It's an aerodynamic design to let air flow smoothly over top and underneath. The angled front underside is modeled after WW2 tanks to deflect high velocity rounds, rendering them ineffectual.

Multi-Tech-MultiModem-224EH5-1300.thumb.jpg.b2b257706d7115fb25b709d1cd0f73ca.jpg

Then this one but it has 'error correcting' which is probably just a fad.

Edited by Sugarland
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Sugarland said:

The angled front underside is modeled after WW2 tanks to deflect high velocity rounds, rendering them ineffectual.

You got a cute little Sherman tank there... and somehow escaped battle without a single scratch... ?

• Like 1

:lust: So excited (sad ain't I?) - Got me what appears to be a mint condition boxed 800XL from Ebay (UK)!! :lust::D By all accounts it's been kept in it's box and has no yellowing, etc. Even the function keys and cart bay doors have the original plastic films on them it appears!:D

Paid more than I'd normally consider paying on account of the condition as well as being able to pay via Paypal Credit installments over the next year - so bit the bullet!:P

My main Atari was an 800XL BITD and as much as I love my XE's I have a special affinity with the 800XL. (For a start the top loading Cart is so much better placed than the XEs).

Since I've failed to locate my original 800XL or the 1050 drives in my attic sadly, I wanted to at least see if I could source the former in good condition.

Honestly can't wait to get my hands on this.:lust:

I'll be selling one of my XE's I expect at some stage - the one with the Ultramon and RS232 mods - as realistically I'm never gonna take advantage of those mods now, but I am sure someone else might. Want it to go to a good home. Just gotta work out how much it is worth.:ponder:

2030514175_Atari800XL2.thumb.jpg.1bdee515ea13e05b19ab6bea4293d395.jpg1852957932_Atari800XL1.thumb.jpg.38a031d93393f6abd24bb5e8828d3fc3.jpg73818768_Atari800XL4.thumb.jpg.299a50b0c0165329b90fcc2f335cb57e.jpg

1730639605_Atari800XL3.thumb.jpg.605b3524960e88b0c36b5473f6fd7a51.jpg

Edited by Beeblebrox
typos
  • Like 5

50 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

:lust: So excited (sad ain't I?) - Got me what appears to be a mint condition boxed 800XL from Ebay (UK)!! :lust::D By all accounts it's been kept in it's box and has no yellowing, etc. Even the function keys and cart bay doors have the original plastic films on them it appears!:D

73818768_Atari800XL4.thumb.jpg.299a50b0c0165329b90fcc2f335cb57e.jpg

Great!! It's surprising how many minty XL's are still out there and were not thrown away.  She looks beautiful. They have a presence about them.  That's an AWC mechanical keyboard variant nicknamed a 'type 2.' The keys have a firm typing experience. I see a little yellowing but not much. Two or three hours for each side in that burning UK mid day sun will fix with no risk of marbling. Suggest covering the brown 2/3rds while out. 

You may yet find your original hardware and still be glad you have this new one.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Sugarland said:

Great!! It's surprising how many minty XL's are still out there and were not thrown away.  She looks beautiful. They have a presence about them.  That's an AWC mechanical keyboard variant nicknamed a 'type 2.' The keys have a firm typing experience. I see a little yellowing but not much. Two or three hours for each side in that burning UK mid day sun will fix with no risk of marbling. Suggest covering the brown 2/3rds while out. 

You may yet find your original hardware and still be glad you have this new one.

@Sugarland Thanks.;-) Useful tips/info, especially about the keyboard. I always recall my original 800XL had a great keyboard. (Did a LOT of typing on it in the 90's).

I am hoping that, from what I've heard about the XL lines generally, all the chips will be socketed. (At the very least the 40pin ones and all the ram chips.) Always good in the event of failures for easy replacement but also for any upgrades I may consider.

thanks again

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

I am hoping that, from what I've heard about the XL lines generally, all the chips will be socketed. (At the very least the 40pin ones and all the ram chips.) Always good in the event of failures for easy replacement but also for any upgrades I may consider.

I think it's pretty much hit-or-miss with 800XLs. My original 800XL only had the 40-pin chips socketed. Everything else was soldered directly to the motherboard. I've been troubleshooting it using the help of another 800XL i bought off ebay to restore and unless I'm misremembering, I'm thinking every single chip was socketed on it.

Edited by bfollowell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

I think it's pretty much hit-or-miss with 800XLs. My original 800XL only had the 40-pin chips socketed. Everything else was soldered directly to the motherboard. I've been troubleshooting it using the help of another 800XL i bought off ebay to restore and unless I'm misremembering, I'm thinking every single chip was socketed on it.

@bfollowell Thanks. TBH I'll be happy if just the 40 pin chips are socketed. (Especially POKEY and GTIA for poss future USB keyboard AKI mod/Sophia 2). I've done a fair bit of chip removal and socketing of late on my 65XE and so I don't mind if I have to do a little more on the smaller ICs if needed, (ie the MMU/OS chips), on this 800XL.

Incidentally I just been re-watching FJC's excellent tutorial video installing an U1MB in an 800XL here .:thumbsup: Highly recommended viewing.

Among other things it shows where you can pick up the 4 x solder points needed by the U1MB wiring, thus avoiding taking them directly off the 6502's 4 legs.

I did the latter for my first U1MB install on the 65XE a few weeks back and soldering directly to the CPU legs is pretty stressfull first time around:-o. (Potential shorting, the soldering iron's heat damaging the CPU itself as the CPU wasn't socketed and I wasn't going in with the wiring from under the board). 

Can't wait for it to arrive. It's a relatively small thing but just having the cart port at the top of the A8 for my SIDE3 cart will make a big difference. :P

Another bonus is I have a spare 800XL base case part so I can always use that if I need to do any case mods, (drilling holes for ports for Sophia 2 and the USB keyboard port installs for example). Means I don't damage the original should I ever want to revert it all back to stock.:D

cheers

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

@Sugarland Thanks.;-) Useful tips/info, especially about the keyboard. I always recall my original 800XL had a great keyboard. (Did a LOT of typing on it in the 90's).

thanks again

The Rapidus expansion's pins aren't compatible with the sockets. :( Led to some unwanted system freezes, though to be fair if there's a time when somebody actually wants system freezes then it's a great day for a new Guinness world record (plus a pint or twenty of Guinness to gulp down out of abject frustration in how someone on this planet can actually enjoy hardware freeze-ups...)

When I decide to finally swap CPUs and dedicate one 800XL for 'Rescue on Fractalus' and other games that would benefit from such speed increases, it's a matter of desoldering the old socket then  soldering in the Rapidus directly. The ROM socket will also have to be removed.

Edited by CommodoreDecker

1 hour ago, Beeblebrox said:

@bfollowell Thanks. TBH I'll be happy if just the 40 pin chips are socketed. (Especially POKEY and GTIA for poss future USB keyboard AKI mod/Sophia 2). I've done a fair bit of chip removal and socketing of late on my 65XE and so I don't mind if I have to do a little more on the smaller ICs if needed, (ie the MMU/OS chips), on this 800XL.

Incidentally I just been re-watching FJC's excellent tutorial video installing an U1MB in an 800XL here .:thumbsup: Highly recommended viewing.

Among other things it shows where you can pick up the 4 x solder points needed by the U1MB wiring, thus avoiding taking them directly off the 6502's 4 legs.

I did the latter for my first U1MB install on the 65XE a few weeks back and soldering directly to the CPU legs is pretty stressfull first time around:-o. (Potential shorting, the soldering iron's heat damaging the CPU itself as the CPU wasn't socketed and I wasn't going in with the wiring from under the board). 

Can't wait for it to arrive. It's a relatively small thing but just having the cart port at the top of the A8 for my SIDE3 cart will make a big difference. :P

Another bonus is I have a spare 800XL base case part so I can always use that if I need to do any case mods, (drilling holes for ports for Sophia 2 and the USB keyboard port installs for example). Means I don't damage the original should I ever want to revert it all back to stock.:D

cheers

There's a 3D model out there for a bracket that you can use to bring the Sophia's DVI connect out through the PBI port, assuming you don't need the port for anything. It works great and then there's no case mods required, at least for the Sophia.

5 hours ago, bfollowell said:

There's a 3D model out there for a bracket that you can use to bring the Sophia's DVI connect out through the PBI port, assuming you don't need the port for anything. It works great and then there's no case mods required, at least for the Sophia.

Yeah, I saw that on Mr Lurch's YT channel the other month. Would need to source a 3d printer service. I would also be doing the USB port mod so spare base may be required anyway. ?