IGNORED

What's the latest Atari related thing(s) you've bought on ebay?

Ross PK

Two Atari 400s, a 410 recorder, two power supplies, and a couple of cartridges.  All shipped in an original Atari box (not enclosed in any other boxes).  With absolutely NO packing material of any kind whatsoever.  No newspaper, no peanuts, no bubblewrap, no foam, no nothing.....  Of course the one whos serial number matched the box took damage on the top and bottom case.  The top could probably be saved and mostly hide the small amount of damage to the top.... no such luck with the bottom which had a hole punched in through the left side vents.

WTF is wrong with eBay sellers lately ?  I've had a number of items arrived damaged lately.... and I have to work out a partial refund with the sellers.  This is lost time (both our parts), money (their part), plus more old computers that may end up as parts for others.

Ebay sellers are only going to help increase the true 'rarity' of our beloved Ataris by not bothering to pack them properly in shipment.  WTF, it's simple.... pack it right, and you don't lose money, don't have the hassle of dealing with unhappy customers, don't have to potentially fight the shipper (and the problem is not caused by them in most cases), etc.....  lost time, lost money, lost antiques.....  All to save $1-$2 in packing materials and another $1 or $2 on shipping cost (potentially).

I just can't fathom how ignorant and stupid these sellers are.  I guess it shouldn't surprise me, but lately stupidity in shipping (for packages coming my way from eBay sellers) is at an all time high.

On 9/2/2021 at 12:06 PM, glurk said:

So, I bought this DEC RX-180 Dual Floppy Unit on eBay for $70 (inc. shipping.)  It has two Shugart 400L drives in it, and I replaced the Rifa caps in the Astec power supply and made a new 34-connector ribbon cable for it, and slaved it off my Percom.  So I guess it's Atari-related NOW, LOL.  It works fine as two more add-on drives.  It also works on my TRS-80 Model III, which is where I'm actually going to use it, but I had to try this out...

rx180.thumb.jpg.3916dde0670a5c15994c3265ac9c4977.jpg

love that DEC dual drive enclosure.  I've seen those on eBay from time to time.... but not usually that cheap, and I'd have a tough time modifying it for use with systems as someone could likely use it on a an old DEC that needs it ?

But back in the day, I'd be all over that to 'hack' up for use on my Atari ?

The ONLY modification I had to do, actually, was switch the 26-pin ribbon cable and DB-25 connectors for a 34-pin cable and a regular floppy drive connector.  It could easily be brought back to DEC use with the proper cable.  I actually "destroyed" the old one, because I re-used the edge connectors from it.  But it was old and brittle anyways.  It would be simple to re-do, with the right cables and connectors.

7 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

800XL, turned up today, a few marks on the case, but nothing I don't think will come off, really

pleased, always wanted an 800XL and this was a bargain £68+p&p :)

IMG_20211029_163259.jpg

IMG_20211029_163921.jpg

Oh I love it. And you have Cosmic Tunnels up and running; one of my favs.  My Cosmic Tunnels disk stopped working.  I loved the game so much I bought a cart version from Video 61 (Lance).  Still love it.

On 10/29/2021 at 5:48 PM, TGB1718 said:

800XL, turned up today, a few marks on the case, but nothing I don't think will come off, really

pleased, always wanted an 800XL and this was a bargain £68+p&p :)

That’s a steal these days!

• 5 weeks later...

At one time I collected CRT monitors. Had 3 commodore 1702's and a bunch of others, a mix of composite B/W, amber + green screens, VGA, SVGA, and some terminals. I must have moved them at least 3 times as I changed my address, with my friends always commenting "Got enough monitors?". Finally I just bit the bullet and got rid of all of them in 2012. Now I've noticed I've done the same thing with LCDs :rolling:

It's definitely a sickness.

Congrats the 10" Panasonic - sounds like a good one at a compact size :)

15 minutes ago, mytek said:

At one time I collected CRT monitors. Had 3 commodore 1702's and a bunch of others, a mix of composite B/W, amber + green screens, VGA, SVGA, and some terminals. I must have moved them at least 3 times as I changed my address, with my friends always commenting "Got enough monitors?". Finally I just bit the bullet and got rid of all of them in 2012. Now I've noticed I've done the same thing with LCDs :rolling:

It's definitely a sickness.

Congrats the 10" Panasonic - sounds like a good one at a compact size :)

@mytek Heh heh - that sounds like quite a collection you once had. BITD all I had a 15" Philips colour CRT monitor. Sold it late 90s I guess.

Do you ever hanker for getting a CRT?

Trouble is, I have a B&O MX4000 22" CRT on the way too! I know!!!:P

I currently have an AOC 24" widescreen modern LED monitor for my PC gaming laptop as well as the gaming laptop screen itself (a 15.4"144hz). Then a 21" LG Flatron flatscreen M227WD DigitalTV LCD monitor for my A8s (Svideo) which I love. Followed by a 15" Digix flatscreen LCD TV also for my A8s also with S-video. (Latter was picked up for peanuts whilst on the search for an LCD which had both a Vesa 100 mount AND S-Video in... where soon after ordering I found the LG Flatron! Typical!;)) And now the 10" CRT..... and soon the MX4000!

Add to that all the A8 hardware and software, my recently unearthed Atari Jaguar :lust:(bought in 1995), and a load of Oculus Rift VR kit - I can barely move!!!:lol:

Edited by Beeblebrox

I'm loving my CRT collection so much, I have actually ordered an HDMI to composite convertor.  Now I can watch my various PCs on my Sony PVMs.  Also, I have three Blonder Tongue modulators, so I can setup an in-home closed circuit TV setup.  I figure, one VHS and 2 Atari computers, available on 3 VHF channels in house should suffice :)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Stephen said:

I'm loving my CRT collection so much, I have actually ordered an HDMI to composite convertor.  Now I can watch my various PCs on my Sony PVMs.  Also, I have three Blonder Tongue modulators, so I can setup an in-home closed circuit TV setup.  I figure, one VHS and 2 Atari computers, available on 3 VHF channels in house should suffice :)

I sold a lot of CRTs in the last few years but I still hold on to my 14" PVMS and a few 1702s and will likely keep them until they die. I really need to get rid of the 21" monsters though. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Keatah said:

The disc assembly looks like a shit'n'spin!

Oh how did I missed out on this thread of toilet jokes.  I purchased my CD unit for $65 I think.  I then picked up another two as spares.  Stores around me were dumping them so picked up as much as I reasonably could.   I still think the main unit looks futuristic as a dental device.

Lil update to my earlier post #5064. This £2 sticker just arrived in the post:

image.thumb.png.e9c87f79d10b8d348cc90cc18dbfa6df.png

Which after a little fiddly application looks great on my aforemention other recent Ebay UK aquisition, the 10" Panasonic TX-G10 CRT monitor running some of my fav Rastacoverter images (damn I love CRTs:lust:):

image.thumb.png.5bc656fba216d53b6a04d3edd9c3aed0.png

:lust:

My Summer Rastaconverter "Ghost in the shell" image here to for anyone who wants to view it........ well, why not!  ;)

Beeblebrox_Ghostmajortac2sm_15.xex

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1