IGNORED

What's the latest Atari related thing(s) you've bought on ebay?

Ross PK

So that's who beat me. Any chance I can get you to scan the Action Toolkit manual for Atarimania?

I just got a Maxflash programmer as well. Looking forward to trying it out.

Allan

As soon as the manuals get here, I will :)

I'll try not to step on your toes next time ;)

Edited by AtariGeezer
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't on eBay but I actually found this lovely at a local second-hand gaming store. She was missing a few keycaps but otherwise perfect. Inside the case there was just a very small bit of dust but that was it. The store said they had those missing keys somewhere in the back in a plastic bag and they'll call me if or when they ever turn up. In the meantime, I've salvaged replacements from another 800 I have that isn't in as good a condition. I opened the cartridge door and found a nice little surprise - that's like my 4th or 5th copy of PAC MAN but I didn't actually have an A8 CENTIPEDE, so bonus. $50 out the door ...

post-30400-0-09640400-1407719426_thumb.jpg

post-30400-0-39868300-1407719438_thumb.jpg

post-30400-0-75727900-1407719446_thumb.jpg

post-30400-0-62391200-1407719456_thumb.jpg

Well, the Arabic cahracter set is the standard one.. and if you switch to the secondary character set (where the international character set would be in a standard OS rom) you get the standard atari character set.

Even in the arabic character set, all upper case letters are normal.. and it types left to right when you are in upper case. But if you hit the caps-lock key, it switches to arabic, and the cursor stands still and the arabic characters are typed to the right, out of the cursor (effectively making the word typed "right to left").. Also, when you hit a space, it automatically changes that last arabic character you typed to the "final" version of that character, rather than the "medial" version which is what is typed when you type a character key. It also has some other wierd mode when you press shift-help which changes the screen margins slightly. I havent really fully experimented with what/why it is doing in this mode..

There may be more than one version of the arabic rom.. The guy on the web says that shift-help switches character sets.. Mine doesnt do that.. It does something involving the screen margins/edit mode charactersitics...

The three web references I have found for the arabic 65xe are:

http://www.savetz.com/vintagecomputers/arabic65xe/

http://www.atarisource.com/collection.htm

http://www.rhod.fr/pages/atari_65_arabic.html

also, some guy named brooklynatari on here mentioned that he had one, back in 9/11/2007:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...p;#entry1364604

And one sold on Ebay.co.uk, back in april, along with an arabic 65xe cartridge! Some guy named Nosty3 (in Poland)was the buyer. I'd love to get a dump of the ROM in that cart.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Atari-Arabic-65-XE-A...3QQcmdZViewItem

So.. including the one I just bought, thats six of them that we know of.. Are they really rare? or are they just being horded in the arab world? heheh.

I now have an Arabic 65XE too!

post-12528-0-27108200-1407965390_thumb.jpg

As in the case of Ken and unlike Kevin Savetz computer, if I press SHIFT+HELP my computer doesn't switch character mode.

I think at least two different roms exist.

Wasn't on eBay but I actually found this lovely at a local second-hand gaming store. She was missing a few keycaps but otherwise perfect.

Isn't this the same 800 listed on eBay several times in the past? If you don't mind, what's the name of he shop you got it from?

Edited by fibrewire

Isn't this the same 800 listed on eBay several times in the past? If you don't mind, what's the name of he shop you got it from?

I have no idea if it was listed on eBay or not. I picked it up from a local store in the town I live in called Media Rerun. I was in there a few weeks ago and my wife noticed it before I did. I went back two weeks later and bought it. Other than the missing keycaps it was damn near perfect. I've used it daily for a week now.

post-30429-0-30023400-1408730853_thumb.jpg

Got a 5200, 11 games (with overlays AND manuals!), 2 really worn sticks for $80 including shipping. Probably one of the more interesting machines in the A8 family. Very innovative and fun if a little finicky and temperamental. Only dedicated game consoles I had when I was a kid were a Vectrex and a 5200 before I migrated to full-fledged computers.

Had to go apes**t with a pencil eraser, aluminum tape and contact/pot cleaner on the better of the 2 sticks and do some cosmetic work on front trim. I'll eventually get some parts from best to rebuild the other one and some fire buttons for the one that works ok now. Had to replace power supply but switchbox is good. A few more games and a trakball are the next step. It's good to have one again though, I forgot how much I enjoyed mine.

My 11 yr old had a blast learning how joysticks worked as we got it going. You can't really "see" how a modern analog thumbstick works.

• 2 weeks later...

Not eBay but still an online auction... this came today, it's pristine! Has all the original packaging and looks as if it's never actually been used (I know it's been opened, it was opened in the photo).

iphone-20140903164844-0.jpg?fileId=25397

Now to find some cassettes!

Cool! Have you checked to make sure it the drive belts haven't stretched or degraded? I have four program recorders, one new-in-box and never used too, and all four of them need belts replaced. :(

I haven't even taken it out of the bag. I work full-time and run a rather busy small-business on top of it, time for dissembling electronics is only found on Sundays.

I can relate, believe me. The good news is you can at least check some basics without tools by checking to see if FFW and RW work okay. If those work okay, you're ahead of the curve!

A manual for Turbo Basic XL, some Jaguar stuff and Mapping the Atari (revised edition) which seems to have a different binding than the earlier Compute! books (at least on the photos it looks like the cover goes around the rings on the spine. Even if the book's available online, it's just not the same for looking up stuff.

The Jag carts are mostly duds gamewise but there are some I need for my collection and with the controllers the overall price seemed justifiable.

Just after buying the TBXL manual I found out that a guy from ABBUC is preparing a revised edition....