IGNORED

What's the latest Atari related thing(s) you've bought on ebay?

Ross PK

You'd think it would fall under the 'work for hire' category and fall back to the employer -- as you mentioned.

Personally, I dunno. I'm just basing it on the quote on page 462 of the book, "Atari Inc.: Business is fun"

http://books.google.ca/books?id=3FwGMtRafrAC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_atb#v=onepage&q&f=false

You're misreading that. Being named on a patent as the inventor (which is what he meant) is not the same thing as owning the patent. Atari would still own all the patents that were filed under their employee's names. Patents are not generally filed as by the company itself but rather the people who actually did the research. Regardless, any patents filed under Atari Inc. would be long since expired.

Here's an example of another of Doug's patents:

http://www.google.com/patents/US4149027

Here's "his" patent for the 400 case:

https://www.google.com/patents/USD262702?dq=atari+inc.+hardy&hl=en&sa=X&ei=5DkRVMivHtGSyASP8YGQAg&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAA

Bear in mind, too, that a "design patent" like that for the 400 case, offers a different degree of legal protections than does an "invention" patent. It's also got to meet a much lower standard to be granted.

(That being said, it's been close to 20 years since I've studied IP law and I've slept since then ... ;) ).

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281451756434?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I'm sooo tempted!

I asked the guy if he could substantiate his claim that this cart was version "B" and he mumbled something about a typo and then called me a "click heed". I'm so hurt.

The FAQs list those 2 Atari part #s as being the Rev.A BASIC ROM, that plus Rev.B came on a single 8K ROM.

Wow. That's a BOSS pickup dude! About how much did that run you? A lot of the Something Awful retro game community love the PVMs if they don't go the Commodore 1084 or Sony Trinitron route.

(Or the XRGB Mini for folks with fat stacks of cash.)

But I need to show off the reasonably priced heat I got for my special machines of specialness.
Like 17 bucks for BOUNTY BOB STRIKES BACK WITH MANUAL. Cartridge alone goes for like 50-100 on the Bay most of the time!
SAM_4044.JPG
SAM_4045.JPG
BBSB seems really good what I got to play of it but the control is MUCH different than Miner 2049er. Like you can somewhat control your jumping now and it is crucial from even the first level! But now there is easier usage of teleporters and even difficulty options to have a more fun game than the original.
Donkey Kong is ALL FOUR LEVELS. Plus lots of stuff most DK console ports skip. The graphics are a bit weird but its got the music and animations and all those thingies most versions shortchanged us on. (Just avoid DKJr which is kind of suck on the A800.)
Missile Command I only had time to try with the joystick and not the trackball but it is like a mix of the arcade and the Atari 2600 version with it's far more enjoyable single base system. My brain can't get a grip on 3 firebases most of the time. I got like 39K on my third game.
I haven't tried Wargames yet but it is one I wanted if nothing else because its a port of the Colecovision game I always wanted to try. Plus its based on a Matthew Broderick film dammit!
Just ye gods don't use composite output on an HDTV with the original 800 or the 130XE. It looks so bad. An SVideo output is pretty solid. Not great because of vertical lines and such but plenty playable when you don't want to put the Commodore monitor out.

Donkey Kong is ALL FOUR LEVELS. Plus lots of stuff most DK console ports skip. The graphics are a bit weird but its got the music and animations and all those thingies most versions shortchanged us on. (Just avoid DKJr which is kind of suck on the A800.)
Missile Command I only had time to try with the joystick and not the trackball but it is like a mix of the arcade and the Atari 2600 version with it's far more enjoyable single base system. My brain can't get a grip on 3 firebases most of the time. I got like 39K on my third game.

Donkey Kong is a classic. Here's the story of the guy who wrote it. Curt Vendel tracked down an almost-finished version of the source code from the old Atari data tapes he archived over the years, and posted it here on AA several years ago. A search will turn up the thread, along with posts from Landon Dyer, the author.

http://www.dadhacker.com/blog/?p=987

As for Missile Command, if you use the Trak-Ball, don't forget to hit CTRL-T before you start the game - that will put it into "native" analog Trak-Ball mode. It's MUCH truer to the arcade feel that way. It'll make you miss that real analog mode in the games that don't have it but need it, like Centipede and Millipede, for instance. Fortunately, there's a hacked version of Centipede available that does use the analog Trak-Ball control code if you want to track it down and play it.

• Like 1

Will do! However I do need to open up my Trackball and fix one of the buttons. Right side button doesn't like to work properly and it seems as if the rubber feet are hiding the screws. Kind of like how my 800 has a barely working N key and I probably need to pop it open too. (I did shake it out a bit and used some electronics duster in it. Maybe that fixed it so I won't have to open the giant steel beast of steel and MORE STEEL. Sure the 130xe has better composite out, but the 800 has more compatibility, looks cooler, and has much handier command keys. And as I don't have the time, money, or skill to do a total improvement mod on an XEGS as to give it microswitch command easter egg buttons nor magically turn the keyboard into an IBM Model M clickyboss well.. one plays ancient games on the hardware one has, not the one they wished they had.)

I am working on a game wishlist for the 800s at this point since I have most of my MUST GETS but not all. A surprising amount are fan mods or 5200 conversions. (Like Gremlins which is amazing but eff playing it on the non working right 5200. The 5200 and 800 sitch is like the Anti Amiga-Genesis. Its the COMPUTER that is funner and easier to use than the console. Except for the single button joystick bits. Course one does get the glory of using paddles for Kaboom, Chicken, and Super Breakout. I guess.)

• 2 weeks later...

Recently picked up a really nice boxed PAL fully socketed, Alps keyboard, early 800XL.

Glad it was fully socketed though as the previous owner could not find the Atari power supply so used his C64 power supply :mad:

Anyway, it's all back up and functional after replacing 4 of the RAM chips, the MMU, and the BASIC ROM.

post-37708-0-84564700-1413875128_thumb.jpg

Edited by 00WReX