IGNORED

What's the latest Atari related thing(s) you've bought on ebay?

Ross PK

I wonder if that's in the preservation thread...

"Mr. Atari" dumped Concentration for lightpen on Atarimania along with 2 or 3 others. I don't know about the preservation thread, but they can get it from atarimania. I'd would like to be able to find and dump the other 4.

the preservation thread requires multiple original source dumps to verify the preserved software is complete correct and error free. It also makes certain if there are different versions, revisions, or protections. :)

I see. It is not in the preservation thread, from a search of the website database and the thread. I have an XC12 program recorder, an SIO2PC, an SDrive Max and an 800XL. What else do I need to dump the tape to a file? Are cassettes generally dumped as *.cas files or *.wav files?

I'd say wave files, as signal level, stabilization and other manipulations can be done- thus recovering even damaged or stretched tapes. We can speed it up or slow it down, remove noise, boost or lower levels in specific sections. even if a tape doesn't load, chances are it will after being processed.

these are the contribution/recovery/preservation methods... I think it would be good to add the notation 'recovery' to what gets done. as many disks and cassettes that are unreadable get rescued by folks on AA and the preservation site!

• Donation of original disks and cassettes
  • Temporary lending of original disks and cassettes for preservationists to dump
  • Submitting flux dumps of original disks and WAV files of original cassettes <==--
  • Submitting packaging, manual and media scans
  • Submitting screenshots
  • Analyzing disk and cassette dumps
  • Testing of disk images that are produced
  • Verifying software information on the website

SF314 disk drive, I'm hoping to convert it to work with 8-bits using one of the new boards from BitsofthePast.

Also eying some but still pondering whether it's worth all the work to get a drive with floppies that seem to be less reliable that the 5 1/4s that preceded them. I had a lot more unreadable ST than 8-bit floppies when I last checked a couple of years ago and those DD thingies seem to be hard to get. But then, if it can be done, it should be done....

CUSB - USB Floppy emulator cased for my Atari 1040STE acts as a file server for many systems from pc/laptop to my Atari 1040STE

I have many systems and plan too add more but one of biggest pet hates is using cracked pirated software(does crazy stupid shit often bug ridden)

cusb.jpg

https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=43

Edited by 256 colors
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Purchased a GBS-8220 to go with the VBXE that arrived today.

I also got one the other day from eBay as well to test with my Sophia. These have gotten surprisingly cheap at just under $18 with free shipping. I have all of these VGA monitors sitting around my shop, and got curious as to what a conversion from RGB to 2x VGA might look like. If this works it'll be a cheap solution.

GBS-8200 and 8220 both tested here with VBXE (albeit on PAL systems) and known to work. YMMV regarding latency, artifacts, etc, but I found it perfectly acceptable, and more than acceptable for the price.

Good to know.

There were a couple of rather good (if a little long winded) videos reviewing the gbs-8220 with an Amiga by RetroManCave

The first video is the review. The second video he goes about fixing the small issues he had with the board in the first one.

I got some M27C512 UV eproms from China and the guy sent them in a small plastic bag: two feet broken, all feet bent. Fortunately, not a big lost, just few ICs, but I wonder "how is that possible!!!?!!?"

I hate it when that it happens :spidey: . Hopefully you aren't out much money.

There were a couple of rather good (if a little long winded) videos reviewing the gbs-8220 with an Amiga by RetroManCave

The first video is the review. The second video he goes about fixing the small issues he had with the board in the first one.

Yeah I watched those same videos before I decided to purchase a board. Be curious if the extra shielding on the bottom side of the board is really necessary??? If it is, seems pretty easy to do if the copper tape can be easily sourced.

The tape is commonly used for shielding on electric guitars, speaker boxes and stuff like that, I have a reel of it, it's cheap and plentiful on ebay.

Theres a 3d printed case available as well, it might work ok to just shield that

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3105831

Edited by Mr Robot

The tape is commonly used for shielding on electric guitars, speaker boxes and stuff like that, I have a reel of it, it's cheap and plentiful on ebay.

Theres a 3d printed case available as well, it might work ok to just shield that

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3105831

Nice :thumbsup: . Although my GBS only has the one VGA connector on the backside :( .

The GBS-8200 version is here. :)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2301666

Thanks, but hopefully I won't need a case, since I'm thinking of putting it inside my 1088XLD, and just making a small hole for a VGA connector on the backside above the SIO ports. But first I have to be satisfied with the picture quality, so I'll be dangling this on wires outside initially.

Thanks, but hopefully I won't need a case, since I'm thinking of putting it inside my 1088XLD, and just making a small hole for a VGA connector on the backside above the SIO ports. But first I have to be satisfied with the picture quality, so I'll be dangling this on wires outside initially.

Michael - will this widget accept the RGB output of a SOPHIA? If so, I may have to buy one myself once I get around to buying the SOPHIA.