IGNORED

What's the latest Atari related thing(s) you've bought on ebay?

Ross PK

My Atari 400 arrived today. It was packed in a slightly too small box that was heavily damaged during transport. You can see in the photos that the computer was not wrapped at all, the only protection inside the box was some plastic foil underneath and the faux leather dust cover which was part of the deal. Believe it or not, the poor thing survived without any damage to the shell.

IMG_3280.jpeg

IMG_3281.jpeg

IMG_3282.jpeg

Edited by Dinadan67
  • Like 4
  • Sad 3

6 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

@Dinadan67  wow that was close- hope you give the sender a piece of ya mind?!! :mad:;)

I agree that it was poorly and foolishly packed, but it's really hard to give someone a piece of your mind over what could have but did not happen. Though it certainly wasn't to the seller's credit, his package did arrive safely and there was no damage to his purchase. What, exactly should he give him a piece of his mind over?

@Dinadan67, I'm so glad that your 400 arrived safely, even though the seller packed it with no care or concern whatsoever.

:) morning all.

Piece of my mind was meant as a turn of phrase of course. (Feedback, concern, etc - whatever you wanna call it).

The 400, as you rightly outline, was clearly not packaged adequately which I personally find remiss of the seller and in those circumstances letting the seller know as much in polite feedback is IMHO perfectly reasonable if you so wish. :grin:

Put it this way - hypothetically if I bought a vintage vase of a seller on Ebay and it arrived in a large box, rattling around wrapped in a single sheet of newspaper, no matter whether it arrived in one piece or damaged, personally I'd let the seller know my surprise at the very least. As far as I am concerned as soon as I've paid the money it's my property and the onus for duty of care for the item is very much on the seller until it leaves them. Of course if the vase was adequately packaged and then subsequently it arrive damaged then that is just the luck of the draw, these things happen. Adqeuate packaging is there to mitigate as much as possible against the expected knocks, drops, etc as the item goes through a postal system after all.

Whenever I have sold and packaged up Atari 8-bit machines for example I am incredibly mindful to ensure adequate packaging is used, and that things are protected from each other and stopped from moving around inside. I probably go a bit overboard tbh. :P I also always fully insure and track items. Apart from just common sense I want the receipient to get their machine in one piece - cause I'm nice like that!;)

Also from personal experience I've been in receipt of poorly packaged A8's even after actually asking the seller to be extra mindful when packaging it up! In one case where the power supply had been carelessly left loose, (despite me politely asking for it not to be and this request being acknowledged),  it inevitably damaged the A8s keyboard!

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well, always a gamble buying untested/sold as seen A8s on Ebay. Was 50/50 that this PAL 800XL would work at all and sure enough this one was DOA when I unboxed and attempted to power it up today.

No power light, apparent signs of life or any display output at all.

Very dusty and everything outside and in really needs cleaning up. Seller had it in an attic for decades and just found and listed it. (Didn't cost too much including postage so I'm happy.)

Fact that it's dead doesn't phase me at all as have fixed a good few XLs and XEs now.... (ooo the overconfidence!;)). If it takes a good few days all the better. (Spent a week resurrecting a dead 130XE and a good few days on a 600XL before.)

The absolute bonus is.. it is an 800XLF (with a Freddie chip) AND an AWC keyboard! :lust: I really like the AWC and ALPS keyboards.

Only the Freddy chip is socketed on the PCB.

Honestly sad geek that I am I am so looking forward to working on this as I've owned one other 800XLF before and loved it.

Needs cleaning up and I suspect it will be either bad ram chip(s), or a bad 40 pin IC, (poss CPU, or FREDDIE) or socket - or a combo. I'll also check for any dry solder joints, corrosion, damaged traces, etc. Who knows maybe the power switch is to blame. Caps look ok. 

I've not tested anything with the multimeter yet or tried using my Sys check II module. (Literally just opened it up to take a look).

Wish me luck. :P I'll probably do a blog as I've not had an A8 fix project for a good few months.:grin:

Few pics:

image.thumb.png.600d4e21477ff068197792dc47695b1e.pngimage.thumb.png.02bf7be820b873754d67b21417f9bed8.png  

image.thumb.png.5545bc3a6309bd2177ca5994310bcad0.pngimage.thumb.png.f6be4ac2ea92212385ef60201a73ad2c.pngimage.thumb.png.7b9c95473121d4c12ba58d6b0b96fc42.pngimage.thumb.png.f6e0c48fd5a1027483db76da42e8f375.png   

image.thumb.png.413ec2ae5757104fa5b9e45586e85fb9.pngimage.thumb.png.527ed33a19bfb57b57ea0b151045d9f8.png  

• Like 3

A 600XL, it was a buy it now with make an offer, so I shot off a low one and they came back with a counter offer that I thought was acceptable.  

It didn't work (sold untested) needed a new CPU and keyboard fixes.  Working now.  It is pretty yellow so I'll have to retrobright it.

• Like 1

It's not e-bay, but if it's ok to list a sellmyretro find, this was a highly desired recreation of a Tom 720, that zaxon was selling

3.5" version.  Well, that's the listing, I won't receive the drive for a while.  I've wanted this gem for ages.

The only equipment I want more than this one, is a 20mb SupraDrive, pbi adapter for the 8-bit line.  I have literally never seen one for sale.

tom720.PNG

• Like 4

Another recent Ebay purchase to go with my A8s and also 7800 console:

image.thumb.png.4fa2b02e20e91ea6c2149d6d9da44805.png

Played a bit of Barnyard blaster on my 800XL just to check it worked. Brought back some nice memories. Pity these were never that accurate - but still - fun to play and glad I have one in the collection. Pretty good condition too. 

• Like 3

On 11/27/2015 at 1:47 PM, AtariGeezer said:

Wasn't me who got that one, Zorro did... Seller had a Pro+Prompt.cart, disk, 800xl and 1050 for $150, but the pic was grainy so I asked a few questions and it wasn't long before he pulled it after finding out it's rarity and potential value. Kicked myself in the butt for not pulling the trigger sooner :)

That Espial Cartridge looked nice...

do you happen to have a picture of the Pro+Prompt.cart?