IGNORED

My 2600 demos here

LS_Dracon

You are now my new god (trashing my crappy sprites in the can)

No man, its just experience, I'm not professional spriter, but I like to draw in pixels, I have a long experience (my first pixel art was made in 1992, using a 286 pc, with a program named PM editor - black and white :P)

About your sugestions, sorry but I'm very busy understanding the interlacing code, for exemple, with interlacing is possible draw that rider from return of jedi using that numbers of colors! (except for grey scale)...

But I'll try edit others sprites.

• Like 1

Finally my interlacing stile demo.

But this demo fail :(

I create this demo for show digitalized label arts in atari 2600 hardware. After image resize, its lost 90% of resolution. I getting sad with results, and stop this demo...

Show only 2 images, Vanguard and Enduro... but with poor resolution. Press button to change.

Anyway this show the power of interlacing rgb+grey, aditting grey you increase the numbers of colors, in Enduro is better. But the flicker is more perceptive.

Don't look much time, may hurt yours eyes. I'm not kidding, in television don't have problem, becouse you get a save distance, and televisions mix better the colors.

Ok I will stop to make demos, and start to program my first game. :)

label_art.bin

• Like 1

Finally my interlacing stile demo.

But this demo fail :(

I create this demo for show digitalized label arts in atari 2600 hardware. After image resize, its lost 90% of resolution. I getting sad with results, and stop this demo...

Show only 2 images, Vanguard and Enduro... but with poor resolution. Press button to change.

Anyway this show the power of interlacing rgb+grey, aditting grey you increase the numbers of colors, in Enduro is better. But the flicker is more perceptive.

Don't look much time, may hurt yours eyes. I'm not kidding, in television don't have problem, becouse you get a save distance, and televisions mix better the colors.

Ok I will stop to make demos, and start to program my first game. :)

I cant run any emulators can you make a screen shots?

I cant use any emulators cuase Im on linux and I had not played any emulators for years :( But thansk^_^

Stella is available for Linux; in fact, it's the premiere platform for it. I use Linux exclusively, and develop Stella in Linux as well. There was just a new release (2.3) made yesterday.

I cant use any emulators cuase Im on linux and I had not played any emulators for years :( But thansk^_^

Stella is available for Linux; in fact, it's the premiere platform for it. I use Linux exclusively, and develop Stella in Linux as well. There was just a new release (2.3) made yesterday.

Yea heres the funny thing, I dont know how to use linux, it was install by my friend so I dont get any bugs or crashs but at the same time he cant fine the right program for this tipe of linux so far Im using Debian to browseing here.

I had a linux about 2 years ago, with KDE interface...

You need type in command shell the name of executable like prompt-msdos

but I don't remember the correct command...

Here's a source image, lacks the tiny toon character.

Merry xmas for all! :D

Wow thanks and they looks sooo GOOD I really hope you will do some real gamning programing to show the real power of the 2600 can do :D

• 1 year later...
The "split" in Stella seems to be due to a bug with RIOT emulation, i.e. the horizontal positioning uses the RIOT timer (TIM1T).

Wow, talk about reviving an old thread :) I've recently looked into this, and Batari is correct; the RIOT timer emulation isn't working correctly. I've fixed it for the next release, and now this ROM is showing up fine.

Stephena, I was too newbie in that time, and don't know how to repositioning objects using a good code, so I use TIM1T in a loop, if INTIM then RESP0.

Weird, I know :(

Well, from my POV, it doesn't matter if your code was less efficient than it could be; it didn't work in Stella but did on a real system, so it's a bug. I don't judge peoples' code, only the results in the emulator :)

Well, from my POV, it doesn't matter if your code was less efficient than it could be; it didn't work in Stella but did on a real system, so it's a bug. I don't judge peoples' code, only the results in the emulator

Ok ;)

People, about DK, here's a new mockup I did some time ago.

DK uses both sprites, it's impossible to display mario at same scanline, this is unique diference from original, the rest can be done exactly you see in this mockup. The plataform will be inclinated.

I not forgot this project, one day I'll start it.

:cool:

post-10940-1207607654_thumb.png

Edited by LS_Dracon
  • Like 1

Well, from my POV, it doesn't matter if your code was less efficient than it could be; it didn't work in Stella but did on a real system, so it's a bug. I don't judge peoples' code, only the results in the emulator

Ok ;)

People, about DK, here's a new mockup I did some time ago.

DK uses both sprites, it's impossible to display mario at same scanline, this is unique diference from original, the rest can be done exactly you see in this mockup. The plataform will be inclinated.

I not forgot this project, one day I'll start it.

:cool:

GOD Some one GOT to make this game! And not the Coleco way!

The barrel screen on Donkey Kong only makes "sense" if the girders are sloped. Things would be a lot easier and could be more colorful if the girders weren't sloped, but that would severely change the game aesthetic. Given a requirement for sloped girders, I think Mr. Kitchen's kernel is as good as one could reasonably hope for. Trading 30Hz flicker on the barrels for more barrels would have been a good trade, but maybe he wasn't supposed to have any flicker.

LS:

did you ever get a chance to redo the donkey kong demo using the venetian blinds (interlaced sprites) technique? I think this type of flicker might look better on a real TV.

Another idea might even be to try venetian blinds without the flicker, i.e. just show one frame of the interlaced sprite all of the time - leaves a lot of 'blank space' but elminates flicker...

Ben

I think Mr. Kitchen's kernel is as good as one could reasonably hope for. Trading 30Hz flicker on the barrels for more barrels would have been a good trade, but maybe he wasn't supposed to have any flicker.

Mr. Kitchen? I search it and found Pressure Cooker, is that?

No problem for 30Hz flicker, as this game uses black background, will looks like the flames at Stay Frosty. 20 Hz is not pratical, so I need a code to keep 3 sprites at same scanline, mario and 2 enemies, something like berzerk, when the object moves, this force others object to go for diferent places.

did you ever get a chance to redo the donkey kong demo using the venetian blinds (interlaced sprites) technique? I think this type of flicker might look better on a real TV.

Another idea might even be to try venetian blinds without the flicker, i.e. just show one frame of the interlaced sprite all of the time - leaves a lot of 'blank space' but elminates flicker...

Ben, I tried, and there's no diference in emulator, I don't know in real hardware. I'll code it again, for you compare.

The Constant Interlaced lines maybe looks ugly, this technique is better for playfields like the JumpMan demo made by CyberGoth.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Thnx.

It's good to see talentous people working on new DK for 2600. I made this demo just to explore the Atari 2600 hardware while I was learning about it, never was my intention to release the game.

I think I'm improving a little bit over the years, both, Atari 2600 programming and my english.
:)

Joe Musashi project is really interesting and I hope to se a finished product.
Edited by LS_Dracon