Rhindle The Red

How old were you when you played your first Atari 2600 game?

How old were you when you played your first Atari 2600 game?  

427 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when you played your first Atari 2600 game?

• 0 - 4 (I'm a prodigy)
    • 5 - 9 (Got me in my formative years)
    • 10 - 14 (Past the age of reason)
    • 15 - 24 (Really should have been concentrating on other things)
    • 25 - 39 (Just call me the Andy Stitzer of the 2600)
    • 40 - 64 (I'm a real late bloomer)
    • 65+ (I had to do something to amuse myself in my Golden Years)

It's the classic system, but when did you first give it a try? Was it something you grew up with, or did it come to you later in life?

I'd say about 7 or 8.. not to sure but I still remember where I was and what I played... A friend had just got his 2600 and had 3 games, Space Invaders, River Raid and Midnight Magic.

It was enough to hook me on playing games for life.

The first 2600 I played wasn't even mine, or my friends' - it was my piano teacher's:

My brother and I both had piano lessens once a week, me first for 30 minutes, then my brother for 30 minutes. While one was having a lessen, the other would play video games on an ancient B&W TV in another room. I didn't know what it was at the time, but thinking back I'm 99% sure it was a 2600. I remember the blocky graphics, the simple gameplay...good times. This was probably something like 20 years ago, when I was about 10.

So far I'm the old man here :) I was playing it when it was brand new...that would've been what, 1978 or oso? I was 26 that year. Even if it was a year or two later, my choice is the same...25-39.

9yrs old almost 10 (20 days from my 10th yr) is when i finally got mine

but my first time playing it was at the age of 8 at a friends house

I am not sure. I know I bought a 2600 jr when I was 9 going on 10 years old. I didn't play videogames much till 1988. It is possible that I played a 2600 game sooner since I remember having an intellivision 2 with an 2600 game adaptor.

I first played a 2600 game at my friend's house in 1977 or '78, when I was 8. He got it when the system first came out. His father was an engineer and loved that type of stuff. My father took a lot more convincing. I didn't get my 2600 until Christmas of 1981.

Got mine from my dear departed granmom for Christmas in 1980. Spent a week in February on my couch with a badly broken leg playing Adventure. That was the best week of my entire 8th grade year. :)

I was only 5 in 1977 when I discovered my cousin's 2600 and my parents had a hard time getting me away back then. My brother and I got one for ourselves not long afterward.

I still have that old 2600 console put away.

1981 ;)

I was just a pup in those days. Me and my Dad would play Combat and Megamania for hours.

Many years later my sister was old enough to play, I had a lot of fun kickin her ass in Air Sea Battle.

Probably around 1981, when I would have been 11. Asteroids and Space Invaders were like crack to me. I wouldn't have my own machine until a few years later around the crash. $1 cartridges made me even more obsessed, and I still carry the compulsion to play simple, fun games to this day.

I was 14 in 1980 (no need to do the math :P ) and played at my friends house, Adventure & Space Invaders were the primary games we played. We had a Bally then also so we had lots of arguments as to which space invaders was better. I didn't actually own a 2600 until early 2000, which I bought just to play Adventure again. That was the beginning of the end for me :D

It's the classic system, but when did you first give it a try? Was it something you grew up with, or did it come to you later in life?

A better question would be what year people first tried the system.

I was like most, got hooked by Space Invaders when I was 10. I saw the game at a kid's house down the street and was blown away by it on a big color TV. The color and the sound was amazing. I had a crappy pong system before that and it was like night and day.

I think the first time I played a game on the Atari 2600 was January 1981 at a classmate's birthday party. I remember playing Space Invaders. If that was my first experience with the Atari 2600, I would have just turned 8 years old. I finally got the Atari 2600 for myself in March 1983 when I was 10 years old.

Edited by CHIP72

I played the first time with seven years in 1982, it was pacman and the console of a friend of my parents.

Edited by ATARImarcus
  • Like 1