IGNORED

AtariAge Ranks

Alex

Okay, a number of people have complained about the new ranks. I'd like to point out that these were not meant to be permanent, and we did not mean to offend anyone by labeling them "newbie". The ranks are meant to be fun, and we didn't intend for anyone to take them personally.

Why did we change them? We wanted something different than Atari Pro I, II, III for example, which is rather boring. We wanted each rank to have a unique name. So we quickly came up with something (bad idea).

Anyway, we're brainstorming for a real ranking system, so if anyone has any clever suggestions, please post them here. We currently have 7 levels (could be 8 if we start people on 0 joysticks). Here are some suggestions so far:

Atari Visitor

Atari Fan

Atari Enthusiast

Atari Worshipper

Atari Maniac

Atari Visitor

Atari Fan

Atari Enthusiast

Atari Maniac

Atari God

Atari Newcomer

Atari Fan

Atari Enthusiast

Atari Devotee

Atari Freak

Atari Maniac

Comments and suggestions are welcome. Perhaps we should say "AtariAge Newcomer" for example, instead of "Atari Newcomer". Maybe that would be more accurate for people?

Atari Newcomer  

Atari Fan  

Atari Enthusiast  

Atari Devotee  

Atari Freak  

Atari Maniac  

Comments and suggestions are welcome. Perhaps we should say "AtariAge Newcomer" for example, instead of "Atari Newcomer". Maybe that would be more accurate for people?

I like the last one you typed above, seem just right feeling about this..... :D

Anyone of this message board can suggest small change....

Jason :wink:

I'm just lobbing out ideas...

does it have to be only 6 ranks, or could it be more like 10?

As people get into the 1000's, they will end up being Atari (top rank) for a long time.

What about having a rank for let's say 5000 posts, or even 10000

You could use military style rankings...

Scout

Sergent

Leiutenant

Captain

Admiral

Rear admiral

or even like have cartridges for rankings...based on rarity or something (this idea has problems)...

Like Pitfall player

Frostbite player

Crazy Climber player

Gravitar silver player

Quadrun player

Could be kinda neat...

At exactly 2600 and 5200 you could have special graphics that would show up on people's rankings.

I don't know, I just think this whole ranking system can be made to be fun.

I'm just lobbing out ideas...

You could use military style rankings...

Sorry, inacceptable for me.

or even like have cartridges for rankings...based on rarity or something (this idea has problems)...

Like Pitfall player

Frostbite player

Crazy Climber player

Gravitar silver player

Quadrun player

Could be kinda neat...

Hey, that's cool. And the highest rank would be Master of Thrust. ;)

Personally, I  never liked the stars, exclamation marks, joysticks or  rankings.  No matter how it gets retooled, I'm sure I would rather have the information supressed.  Is there any chance you could make displaying it a user profile preference?

Ben

Spoil sport :P

First, thank you for breaking this out as a new thread, Alex.

I'd like to explain the reasoning behind the first three lists, which are mine: 8)

The idea behind thme is to rank people's enthusiasm instead of their competence or proficiency. Enthusiasm relates directly to number of posts; proficiency or experience only comes through in the *content*. The board cannot measure that, so best to leave that for our peers to decide :wink:

I also agree with Harry's request. Users should be able to create custom titles for themselves. Any user-added custom name should appear directly beneath their name and bump the ranking down. Otherwise, the ranking fills in for the missing title.

Now, just for you, Thomas, a list that your "Master of Thrust" entry can get with:

Joystick Jouster

Master Baiter

"Ass"tro Blaster

Dark Cavern Canyon Bomber

Poon' Patrol

:o

I don't really like the -game- player ranks, but I think ranks based on games is a great idea. Just getting everyone to agree on the prestige of a title is the hard part... here's some ideas:

Combat Commando

Obelix

Space Invader

Berzerker

Cosmic Commuter

Stampeder

Crackpot

Megamaniac

River Raider

Codebreaker

Crazy Climber

I could go on and on and on.... Make a list of ones that can be somewhat relevant to post count (like Space Invader) and then order them in a somewhate logical way.

So far I like this idea above the best. The names can be unique and fun, and don't make it seem so personal like "Novice" or "Pro" or whatever. Even if it's hard to make a logical heirarchy, the joysticks will tell the tale. Any other comments abou this?

Or you could rank by 3rd party companies. The bottom would be Froggo Friend and then Mythicon Master. Middle ranks like Coleco Clubber or Sega Student. The top would be Imagic Immortal, Parker Brothers Pal, Activision Ace and of course Atari Arch-Deity. The idea needs a little work, but hey I like it :D .

I like the idea of names being related to cartridges, like Star Raider and such... but they have very little bearing on a person's 'rank' at AtariAge. I mean, would higher rankings be assigned to the rarest cartridges (which is what I've noticed people doing already), or to harder games? Perhaps newcomers could be "Spider Fighter"'s, while veterans could be "Solaris Seeker"'s and such.

Another idea could be related to the actual act of collecting cartridges:

"2 Master System's and a Nin-ten-do" (where it's at!)

"Thrifter Extroardinaire"

"Flea Market Master"

"Garage Sale Guardian"

... and so forth.

--Zero

Yes, higher ranks would be related to rarity of cartridges....

If you see the people on the message board, the veterans are the ones who have been INTO collecting for the longer time, and so they would likely have MORE rare cartridges.

This is more or less true, unless someone with a post count of 900 or something can demonstrate that they DON'T have carts more rare than say a 6....

Now that I think of it more, I think the cartridge idea is the best one there is for rankings....

This isn't entirely true though, and was the source of some of the complaints. There are some lurkers/low posters that are veteran collectors that have been in the 'scene' for a long time.

Another thought is using some of the Activision patch names:

Flying Ace

Beamrider

Chopper Commando

Crackpot

Decathlete

Roadbuster

Save the Chicken Foundation

Grand Prix Driving Team

Order of the H.E.R.O.

All-Star Hockey Team

World Class Dragster Club

Secret Society of the Dolphins

Friends of the Dolphin

Frostbite Bailey's Arctic Architect

Activision Bucket Brigade

Billy Club

Federation of Laser Blasters

Megamaniac

Oinker

No Plaque Pack

Explorer's Club

Cliff Hangers

Short Order Squad

Super Sleuth

Sub Club

Activision Ski Team

Sky Stars

Space Shuttle Pilot

Space Shuttle Commander

Spider Fighter

Trail Drive

Starmaster

Yes, higher ranks would be related to rarity of cartridges....

If you see the people on the message board, the veterans are the ones who have been INTO collecting for the longer time, and so they would likely have MORE rare cartridges.

This is more or less true, unless someone with a post count of 900 or something can demonstrate that they DON'T have carts more rare than say a 6....

Now that I think of it more, I think the cartridge idea is the best one there is for rankings....

Let me count ... 8, ok you are right ;)

But I like the rarity idea. The problem is, that it varies over the systems.

How about a ranking that is based on the difficulty of a game? You could starting with some atari or coleco kids game and then increase the difficulty. Make sure that you only select games that where available on more than one platform.