IGNORED

AtariAge Ranks

Alex

Doppel, you're posting in an announcements forum. Perhaps if you posted your question under Web Site or some other forum, or better yet, just sent one of the moderators your question via a private message, you'd get an answer.

(And yes, I realize the hypocrisy of not sending THIS via PM, but I figure others besides doppel may benefit)

Posts       Rank                 Joysticks

======== =============== =========

0-9 Combat Commando 0

10-49 Space Invader 1

50-99 Star Raider 2

100-249 Chopper Commander 3

250-499 Moonsweeper 4

500 -999 Dragonstomper 5

1000-1999 Stargunner 6

2000-4999 River Patroller 7

5000- Quadrunner 8

So, there you have it.

Interesting Factoid: Over 2/3 of the 3,740 registered AtariAge members are Combat Commandos, with fewer than 10 posts. And the majority of those posted no more than once.

Ben

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Well I myself would say do something similar to DP where you get little

gaming symbols every posting checkpoint.

for example,

0-10 posts Combat Tank

11-20 posts Ms. Pac-Man

etc....

That would be better, and people wouldn't feel angry if say they only have a

Combat Commando while someone else has Quadrunner, I think some

people may find this ranking system that is here at the moment makes

them feel unwelcome. For instance some might think that people are thinking

things like "Hmm he's only a Combat Commando not worthy enough to be

a Quadrunner like us, Haw Haw!".

BTW this is not directed towards anyone, just making a valid point! :)

But either way keep up the good work! ;)

Getting a unique symbol for each posting level is a possibility, although I don't really think this helps solve the "elitism" problem you described below. Whether it's just a text label (along with the joysticks) or a collection of symbols, one way or another the people who have been posting longer have a higher "rank" than the newbies.

Personally I feel that pointing out how many posts someone has is a bit overrated, as that is not an indicator of the quality of someone's posts or that they are necessarily more interesting to read than the posts made by someone who just logged into the forum for the first time.

..Al

Well I myself would say do something similar to DP where you get little

gaming symbols every posting checkpoint.  

for example,

0-10 posts Combat Tank

11-20 posts Ms. Pac-Man

etc....

That would be better, and people wouldn't feel angry if say they only have a

Combat Commando while someone else has Quadrunner, I think some

people may find this ranking system that is here at the moment makes

them feel unwelcome. For instance some might think that people are thinking

things like "Hmm he's only a Combat Commando not worthy enough to be

a Quadrunner like us, Haw Haw!".

BTW this is not directed towards anyone, just making a valid point! :)  

But either way keep up the good work! ;)

Al,

I agree...though short of a slashdot like mod system I can't think of another useful measure. Too hard to tell a troll from someone producing good conversation...

I find myself looking forward WAY too much to adding my 7th stick there, though #8 seems to far away to think about. One happy (I think) side-effect is it might encourage people to post more, and thus increase the vibrancy of the site...I think I participate a bit more than I would otherwise because of that, even though I know in the larger sense it's nearly absolutely meaningless.

I love the names as well, very unique, very atari specific, but not just cartridge names...

Finally, Al, one question: as the site ages/matures, is distribution of people who have 6-8 sticks great increasing, or is there enough "young blood" that the balance remains? As far as I can tell it's still a good mix.

We are dabbling with the idea of changing the ranks when we switch to the new forum software.  :)

..Al

When you do switch will everyone retain their current ranks? I remember once posting on another unrelated forum and when they switched everything went back to zero. You could email the mod and he would replace your rank but it seemed more trouble than it was worth.

We are dabbling with the idea of changing the ranks when we switch to the new forum software.  :)

..Al

When you do switch will everyone retain their current ranks? I remember once posting on another unrelated forum and when they switched everything went back to zero. You could email the mod and he would replace your rank but it seemed more trouble than it was worth.

I myself would like to restart my post count, when I first joined here I was

accused of spamming and as I dont want no hard feelings, I would rather

have my posts at zero again when the forum software changes! ;)

However IMO I think that you should have a choice. :)

I agree...though short of a slashdot like mod system I can't think of another useful measure. Too hard to tell a troll from someone producing good conversation...

A moderation system of some sort would be interesting, or perhaps a "ranking" feature where people rate other users' posts and eventually people develop a "reputation", whether it be positive or negative. Then you could ignore people under a certain threshold.

Finally, Al, one question: as the site ages/matures, is distribution of people who have 6-8 sticks great increasing, or is there enough "young blood" that the balance remains?  As far as I can tell it's still a good mix.

There are always new users signing up, and there are still users here from when AtariAge was fairly young. So I think a reasonably good balance is maintained.

..Al

A moderation system of some sort would be interesting, or perhaps a "ranking" feature where people rate other users' posts and eventually people develop a "reputation", whether it be positive or negative. Then you could ignore people under a certain threshold.

It's tough to pull off, both the modpoint and the "friend" system, and I think in a less structured place like AA, it might get really petty really quickly.

Finally, Al, one question: as the site ages/matures, is distribution of people who have 6-8 sticks great increasing, or is there enough "young blood" that the balance remains?  As far as I can tell it's still a good mix.

There are always new users signing up, and there are still users here from when AtariAge was fairly young. So I think a reasonably good balance is maintained.

Yeah, and some oldtimers move on as well...

leave my post count and date joined alone :twisted: and my member # 541 8)

sometimes its good to see when someone joined and how active they are in the forums

i used to be really active (close to spamming at times) untill i hit the 5k mark in posts, then i took a break

-(and i used to be the top poster for awhile back when i was at 3000 posts but albert and stanjr passed me quickly ;) - god it seems like many many many years ago when i had just 3000 posts) :D

i wouldnt use the rate someones posts thingy either, any effort on my part will probably not happen ;)

the rating system i dont even notice anymore

i wouldnt use the rate someones posts thingy either, any effort on my part will probably not happen ;)

I agree some people may just join for the hell of it and score everyones

posts the lowest.

Even if things like this are kept under control, people move on and there

are millions of people online so I myself beleive this is a bad idea! 8)

I think the first 20 members should have sparkly golden borders around their posts and a giant animated arrow at the side with the following words scrolling inside of it:

"Hey all you jive turkeys, this groovy dude is far-out!"

:D

At other forums, the ranking system is used to keep the tourists coming back to increase their post count and then the site will become more popular and there will be more chances for people to click on ads. AtariAge doesn't have ads, just a store. Since AtariAge is the best Atari related site out there, people will come here to buy stuff anyway. The ranking system isn't needed here. It's just one more thing that has to load in each post of a thread.

The ability to rate posts sounds interesting. If you include that ability, I just hope it isn't misused. All the 'commies' might vote for each other's posts and all of the 'Nazis' might do the same for each other. It could become just as meaningless as the existing ranks.