IGNORED

Atari 2600 Mexican Versions. Rare? Common?

SegaMasterMonster

In fact, there were more Mexican versions with labels which include boxes and manuals completely in Spanish. Examples of this are "Héroe" (Hero) and others like "Policías y Ladrones" and "Los 3 Cochinitos" (I don´t know the names of their american counterparts). And look at this beauty I found in my mess:

galaxiaef8.jpg

This one too has "normal" Atari case, but what amazes me is that this is not based on an Activision game: you can tell that is Galaxian of course.

BTW, some Atari 7800 games included manuals in Spanish too when were distributed here.

Hope these pics and information help a little :)

I tell you what games are these: "Los 3 Cochinitos" = "Oink!" and "Policias y Ladrones" = "Keystone Kapers". I had these as original activision carts but back in 1985 me and everyone I know used to call Keystone Kapers "Policias y Ladrones" ("Cops and Robbers" in a textual way). As far as I remember, my atari 7800 which I still have but broken came with the original box reprinted in spanish and the user manual, and a catalog in spanish too. 7800 Pole Position II came with a elegant black and white label in english, and the bottom of the console with a FCC compliant label in english.

Right, 2600 and 7800 carts in Mexico came with original box in english, some, not all and manual printed in spanish.

Hey, Omegamatrix did Zellers or any other company release any games with French lables?

In French by itself I know of no company off hand that did that. Most had English/French labels, or labels with five or six languages on them (like Imagic). These Colecovision labels pictured here are all in French, but were included as a pack-in with the game so if you wanted French labels you could stick them on yourself.

post-7074-1166416713_thumb.jpgpost-7074-1166416725_thumb.jpgpost-7074-1166416763_thumb.jpg

post-7074-1166416858_thumb.jpgpost-7074-1166416909_thumb.jpgpost-7074-1166417024_thumb.jpg

post-7074-1166417271_thumb.jpgpost-7074-1166417293_thumb.jpg

I'm very curious to see the games that come out of Mexico. I'm certain most will be pirates, but there's some gold to be found in there for sure. Sku_u found a 2600 system from Mexico with games built in. One of them was a previously unknown game, and is still the only copy of it to date. Air Raid also is probably from Mexico. So what else is there?

Those carts you have shown Segamastermonster look alot like polyvox carts. In fact too much so just to be a coincidence.

BTW welcome to AA

Yes, there are 2600 systems with built in games here in Mexico but they are called "clones" as they (or at least the ones I´ve seen) are not legal or distributed by Atari, and I believe all of them are "Atari Jr.-like". I have seen clones with 32, 64 and 100+ games built in! and you can still get them, they are not very rare, but sometimes some of the games included don´t work.

Oh, and thanks for the welcome! :cool:

That's what I'm looking for. It'd be interesting to test all the games on these units. You neve know if one of the games in there is a hack never seen before, or even better an original game! :D Thanks for the pictures too. It's good to see stuff from Mexico start to get documented.

Not to get too far off topic, but where were these used then?

By the way ROM HUNTER, I think that you need this scan for your database. Also, the N would mean NTSC would it not? Because all of your INTL Edition labels are PAL versions.

i believe most of those international versions of Activision games were from Canada......but i may be wrong

how much would it cost me to buy some activision games in french or those mexican versions.....

OmegaMatrix.....are those french copies easy to procure in canada....are they pretty common

The four Activision sports labels come up ever now and then and never in any decent condition. They are more rarer then the Activision international or Activision multilanguage labels with the "N"sticker.

By the way ROM HUNTER, I think that you need this scan for your database. Also, the N would mean NTSC would it not? Because all of your INTL Edition labels are PAL versions.

Correct. All the Activision labels with the "N" sticker come from Canada. Rom's got some scans under the Activision titles themselves as label variations.

i believe most of those international versions of Activision games were from Canada......but i may be wrong

Nope. Only the the international labels with the "N" stickers come from Canada. The rest are PAL or had the "N" sticker peeled off. These carts are very common in Canada. Log onto Ebay.ca and you'll find bunches of them.

I want to thank you.

That's indeed one of the very few Activision cart scans I was still missing.

It's added now.

Here are the other missing ones:

http://www.atarimania.com/lst_soft.php?MEN...n_sauver=Search

BTW: the Title Match Pro Wrestling is most probably a Black Label cart.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

I'm surprised nobody has pointed out that the silver label games found in Mexico are more l likely to be from South America than exported from America. When I acquired some, I immediately recognized them as very similar to Polyvox releases sold in South America. I will bet that you will not find a Mexican (Spanish) cart of this style that was not sold as a Polyvox cart in Brazil.

I have several of these, and I just listed them under Polyvox in my list. I actually have a few spares to trade, but my situation with trading is a bit rough- my stuff is a mess. Still, if someone is interested, I'll consider cash.

ROM, I see that you added my cart to your list, but you have it marked as PAL, not NTSC.
I will give these N stickered carts their own NTSC category in the near future, but for now I consider them as a label variation of a PAL Activision label.

I know the game inside is NTSC, but the label is originally a PAL label.

Unfortunately I don't have the Kaboom! label without the N sticker yet...

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

• 2 months later...

It has been ages (AtariAges?) since I posted here. Sorry, been through some problems but now I´m ready for action :cool:

... and perhaps make some watermark-less cart front scans of the Atari Cartoucho Original carts you own?

Thanks in advance!

8)

Hello there! I was wondering if those scans would still be useful to you and the site, my friend. I now have all Mexican versions I own out of the mess (I believe) and can scan them all if needed ;)

Edited by SegaMasterMonster

Here are the first ones. Sorry for the poor quality, but my scanner is as old as my first Atari :D . Please let me know if the size is ok, otherwise I can scan them again.

tanquerobotwh4.jpgsupercocinerolg1.jpg

policiasyladronesce1.jpgheroehj9.jpg

galaxiaeb9.jpgendurorf0.jpg

elesquimalcg8.jpgdecatlongx8.jpg

amodelespaciofd5.jpg

Tanque Robot = Robot Tank

SuperCocinero = Pressure Cooker

Policias y Ladrones = Keystone Kapers

Heroe = Hero

Galaxia = Galaxian

Enduro = guess :D

El Esquimal = Frost Bite

Decatlon = guess again

Amo del Espacio = Starmaster

Is common to see all of them either in Atari or Activision case (as in the photo in the first post of this topic)

3 more left; I´ll have the scans ready by tomorrow night ;)

Hope this helps. See you :cool:

Excellent.

Thanks, SegaMasterMonster.

I really appreciate this.

They are added:

http://www.atarimania.com/lst_soft-MENU-2-...UR_ID-2531.html

and will be mentioned in the homepage news of Atarimania tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to the other scans.

Thanks again.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

He he he, Starmaster is translated as Spacemaster ;-)

Heroe looks like the colors were printed wrong, rather like you sometimes get in newspapers.

Hmm, way back in 1995 or so when I visited Puebla, Mexico, my soon-to-be brother-in-law had a 2600, but none of these cool non-US games. He had a regular Activision Enduro, and one game at the time that I'd never heard of: Strategy X, which I've since found is not all that rare.

• 12 years later...