IGNORED

Get a new Wrist Strap (Free Replacement Info!)

jbanes

Due to the number of instances of Wiimote straps breaking, Nintendo has officially recalled the strap. Nintendo has put up an online order form for ordering as many as four straps per console.

Edit: Figgler rightly pointed out that this isn't an actual recall. Just a replacement program. Subject updated.

Edited by jbanes

Just to be clear, this is not a product recall, just an enhancement that Nintendo is offering for free in light of the mishaps that have occurred

There will be no product recall. There is no problem with the wrist strap as long as the Wii Remote is used sensibly and properly in accordance with the guidelines provided by Nintendo. However, we will be providing replacement wrist straps free of charge to consumers who request them.

Just to be clear, this is not a product recall, just an enhancement that Nintendo is offering for free in light of the mishaps that have occurred

That's an important point - as there is nothing defective about the straps, but rather the end users apparently.

I can't wait for the class action lawsuit :(

There's a blip on the news about it. If you bought a Wii before December 11th then they said you have the old strap but if you purchased your system after then you should have the new strap. The site that they (the news) linked to was "wiihaveaproblem.com " and said that more oftem problems occur after people have been playing for a while and their hands get sweaty or people have had something alcoholic to drink and try playing. Also there were a few cases when the remote was held onlt but the batteries went flying. The site is not only full of horror stories but also lots of photos.

They also stated that they wouldn't even start to ship these new straps out until the 21st. So...they send you the email once it has shipped. Since shipping isn't to start until the 21st, that stands to reason, that no one is likely to get an email until starting the 21st.

In addition it also stated another 7 - 9 business days (I believe) from the confirmation before you should expect the straps to the mailing address you provided them.

There's a blip on the news about it. If you bought a Wii before December 11th then they said you have the old strap but if you purchased your system after then you should have the new strap. The site that they (the news) linked to was "wiihaveaproblem.com " and said that more oftem problems occur after people have been playing for a while and their hands get sweaty or people have had something alcoholic to drink and try playing. Also there were a few cases when the remote was held onlt but the batteries went flying. The site is not only full of horror stories but also lots of photos.

*nod* I gave Nintendo.com my serial # and since I bought my second Wiimote before the 11th I requested two straps just in case. They said no problem, we're shipping out replacements right away, sorry for the inconvenience. I gotta say between this and replacing my wife's unhinged DS for free, Nintendo's customer service reputation has gone WAY UP in my book.

• 5 weeks later...

Got my Wii after December 11th and I have the old strap. I picked it up this past Sunday (the 21st) along with a second remote (which I believe also has the old strap). Looks like I'll be getting some replacements. Those newer straps look tough.

*nod* I gave Nintendo.com my serial # and since I bought my second Wiimote before the 11th I requested two straps just in case. They said no problem, we're shipping out replacements right away, sorry for the inconvenience. I gotta say between this and replacing my wife's unhinged DS for free, Nintendo's customer service reputation has gone WAY UP in my book.

I've never had to deal with Nintendo until my Wii, but I've been extremely happy with their service as well. First of all, I was able to order the wrist straps online without any problems, they came nice and quickly. Later, I called them up because I noticed my A/V cord was acting a bit weird (there was a short in the right audio connector or something, so it occasionally made a faint buzzing noise) He asked if it would be possible to swap cables or wiis, and I said that it would be possible, but not very practical (my roommate has a wii as well) since the problem is intermittent. The guy was very understanding, and sent me a new cable very quickly :)

Finally got mine the other day. I must say they are a much better quality than the original, even if I didn't really need a replacment

I got mine a couple weeks back. Altho, like many have pointed out, It seems kinda unnecessary. I guess if my straps ever do break I'll have replacements, but I wouldn't bet cash that it'll ever happen, because I doubt it will.